UKC

Lead climbing course for a 9 year old?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jus 15 Nov 2019

My 9 year old daughter is keen on learning to lead climb indoors.

Has anyone's kid had some professional instruction re falling, best practice etc? Was it worth while? 

She doesn't like listening to my advice (ha ha), and I find teaching a 9 year old kid to lead climb vs lead climbing yourself are two very different things. She doesn't like clubs at the moment so they are not an option.

She climbs around F6a and has lead a few routes up to F5 already.  We're based in Sheffield.

Post edited at 11:38
 jezzah 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Jus:

For what it's worth... 

I have had 3 teenagers of my own all dabble at climbing at various stages of their lives. Currently my son is heading up 6bs indoors aged 15 and climbs on and off about once a fortnight. I am also a climbing instructor and I am happy for any of them to belay me. But, I have sought the services of friends/ other instructors to teach about lead belaying and also lead clipping because they will listen to another adult instructor much more than their dad! 

So my advice would be to get an instructor to teach how to lead. Get someone who knows what they are talking about and who can connect with your 9 year old. The two elements are very important and both need to work together! There are plenty of people I would recommend based around Sheffield if you want a pointer- PM me if you would like suggestions.

cheers

Jeremy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...