UKC

Rest or stretch a sore hip flexor?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
robnights 29 Jan 2020

I'm heading to Scotland in a few days, but over the past few days, my hip flexor has started severely aching. It may be to do with overtraining (though I've not been doing that much). In this situation, would you completely rest, try to stretch it out, or both?

Thanks!

Post edited at 10:03
 girlymonkey 29 Jan 2020
In reply to robnights:

I would find a physio and get them to check what you have done.

I hurt my adductor (one of the hip flexors) a few years ago and felt like I wanted to stretch it. I did quite a bit of stretching and continued to use it for a few weeks before I went to a physio in a lot of pain. Turned out it wasn't just tight but actually a bit torn and definitely needing rest and careful treatment. It took me 4 months to get back to light use. Get it checked before you go and use it or stretch it

robnights 29 Jan 2020
In reply to girlymonkey: thanks for the reply! I'll see if I can find a last min appointment. 

Max factor 29 Jan 2020
In reply to robnights:

I'm in a similar spot - hip flexor on my R side has always been a bit dodge and was giving me a lot of discomfort at the end of last week.

My approach, given that I had had physio on it before and have done a lot of pilates, is to treat it with stretching, strengthening, and judicious use of a foam roller. I'm confident that it's not an acute tear, but there is a lot of scar tissue from previous groin injuries.  Now 3X 1 hour sessions later it's already feeling a lot, lot better.  

I'd agree about going to see a physio; they might also help with massage or stretching that will give some short term relief, and should set you on the right path.

MischaHY 29 Jan 2020
In reply to robnights:

My advice would be if you think you have injured it then get to a physio. If you think it is simply very fatigued then rest it for the acute phase (first 24-72hrs depending on feeling) and then afterwards progressive stretching and foam rolling, always combined with heat. 

GDes 29 Jan 2020
In reply to robnights:

Physio. Don't take gambles on your body based on advice from Internet weirdos. 

It's hard to imagine how stretching a muscle will help heal it  

robnights 30 Jan 2020

Thanks everyone! I'm unable to see a physio in time, so I'm just resting it up until the hike, and will warm it up with some stretches before we set out on Sat.   

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...