UKC

Rib pain (in side of body) after wall session

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Murray 27 Dec 2023

Help..... last Friday, i had a normal session at the climbing wall, nothing "happened", but when packing up, I noticed pain where my ribs meet my abdomen on the RHS, at the side of my body.

Being the Friday before Christmas, I just had to rest it out - but the pain hasn't gone away, and I'm still in (very unpleasant) pain all night every night. It's tender to touch locally. 

Any ideas?  Getting a GP or physio appt is of course hopeless at this time of year. 

(I did tear my intercostals, more on my back, over 10years ago - that happened suddenly, on a strenuous sport route, & this was nothing like that ... nothing happened during the indoor session......!). 

The usual analgesics are of course useless (they never seem to do anything for me.....)

Thanks in advance. 

aostaman 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Phil Murray:

I'd go to a  minor injuries unit. That doesn't sound right. 

To be clear I have no training or expertise, but I'd get that checked. 

C Witter 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Phil Murray:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/costochondritis/

It is likely this? Maybe contact your GP if you are worried. Otherwise, rest and painkillers?

Were you trying hard on an overhanging boulder problem?

Ed.: question marks to indicate this is just my subjective, non-medical opinion. If you strained/tore intercostals before, could be similar in a different place.

Post edited at 11:38
 nniff 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Phil Murray:

Give it a while.  Maybe a trapped nerve - I had similar recently, and the pain is currently on the move, which rather suggests that's it's not the bit that hurts that's got the problem.  It's probably something in my neck and it will sort itself out presently

OP Phil Murray 29 Dec 2023
In reply to C Witter:

HI, thanks, no it's definitely not this (Costochondritis), the pain is as far from the centre / middle of chest as possible - right on the side, low down, above the "floating" ribs.  I wasn't trying anything abnormal, & there was nothing whilst climbing, only afterwards. Rest & painkillers - day 7 now, but physio later. 

OP Phil Murray 29 Dec 2023
In reply to aostaman:

THanks, I nearly did go yesterday, it doesn't sound right.  I'm seeing a private physio today.  Hopefully, he will be switched on enough to alert me if he thinks something really weird has happened here. I'm finding it inexplicable, but other "injuries" I've had have been similarly difficult to explain / justify, so....... 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...