UKC

Single Rung Fingerboard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil79 02 Dec 2019

Anyone know of any discreet single rung fingerboards that have decent jugs for pulls ups, and single edge for dead hangs? 

I want something to go in the kitchen, but be super discreet, so just a single strip of wood if possible.

Everything I've seen seems to be too large (i.e. beastmaker) or doesn't have big enough jugs for warm ups (i.e. moon campus/deadhang rungs).

Closest I can find is a Crusher Megarail - anyone got one?

I already have a Lattice rung in the garage, so might well end up moving that inside, but its a little bigger than I'd like.

Post edited at 10:23
 MischaHY 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Personally I'd be sticking with the lattice rung. I can't think of anything much more low profile to be honest. 

Why not just train in the garage and not worry about the aesthetics? 

Consider also that a wooden board in the kitchen may get a little greasy if you tend to fry or don't have an extractor fan. 

OP Phil79 02 Dec 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

I do train in the garage, but want something I regularly grab 5 mins on, i.e. while waiting for spuds to boil, or feeding the kids.

I have the option to stick it in the lounge on other side of kitchen doorway, so greasiness not an issue. 

MischaHY 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Fair enough. I'd recommend exercising caution with this kind of in/out training when it comes to fingers - my opinion would be that any fingerboarding that will have a genuine training effect will be intense enough that you need a reasonable warm-up before hand, and anything that doesn't need that warm-up isn't worth your time because it just adds cumulative fatigue and higher risk of injury due to not being warm, without the benefit of being a longer period of higher quality training. I also have the fingerboard mounted on the other side of the kitchen door, but always allow minimum 30 minutes for any training including a decent warm-up. Be careful with those fingers! Pulley injuries are crap and take forever to heal even with proper rehab.

A pull up bar/jugs however is a totally different story and 5 minutes of 10 reps per minute would likely have a great training effect, or perhaps a few sets of frenchies etc. You could even stash a bit of rope or sling somewhere near the door to work on offset pulls and progression to one-arm stuff. Also on the cards would be things like one/two-arm scapula pulls, front levers and more. 

I'd recommend one of these pull-up bars that can be quickly tightened into the door frame (they have rubber stoppers on the side to prevent marking). We use this and it works great, although limited for proper one arm training due to the narrowness of the doorway. 

Have fun training! 

Post edited at 11:02
OP Phil79 02 Dec 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

Thanks, good advice.

I'm always careful to warm up well before ramping up fingerboard intensity, and I've not had any finger injuries in a long time (perhaps I'm not trying hard enough!).

Post edited at 11:54
 Greg Lucas 02 Dec 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

"...my opinion would be that any fingerboarding that will have a genuine training effect will be intense enough that you need a reasonable warm-up before hand, and anything that doesn't need that warm-up isn't worth your time because it just adds cumulative fatigue and higher risk of injury due to not being warm..."

You make a very good point. I have a Beastmaker in the kitchen and my short 'drop in' sessions, whilst I'm cooking, do indeed just add to cumulative fatigue. I now stick to delegated fnigerboarding sessions and do lots of juggy pull-ups and lock-offs whilst the spatzle is boiling. Although the more lock-offs I do the more spatzle I want to eat. You can't win! 

Mr. Lee 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Phil79:

> Everything I've seen seems to be too large (i.e. beastmaker) or doesn't have big enough jugs for warm ups (i.e. moon campus/deadhang rungs).

I warm-up on the same size holds as I'll using for the proper sets, gradually increasing the load. Warming up on jugs wouldn't really get me sufficiently warmed up for hanging off edges. 

stevevans5 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Phil79:

A bit of plywood and a strip of pine - Round the top off and it's a jug for pull ups, shape the strip of pine however you want and you can even make it smaller or more rounded as you get stronger so it evolves with you...

MischaHY 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Greg Lucas:

>I now stick to delegated fnigerboarding sessions and do lots of juggy pull-ups and lock-offs whilst the spatzle is boiling. Although the more lock-offs I do the more spatzle I want to eat. You can't win! 

I disagree. Mit genug spätzle gewinnt man immer  

Greg Lucas 02 Dec 2019
In reply to MischaHY:

Another good point: I can't get enough spätzle truth be told. Have to make it myself though; certainly warms up the fingers and forearms. Forget the fingerboard: squeeze spätzle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...