UKC

Will you climb indoors?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 21 Jul 2020

What would it take, if anything, for you to go back to an indoor wall to climb and bolder?

mondite 21 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

beer and cake*.

* as a hopeful incentive for the walls. More accurately though think will give next couple of weeks a miss to let the new procedures settle in and then go.

Lord_ash2000 21 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> What would it take, if anything, for you to go back to an indoor wall to climb and bolder?

A wall which is open and within an hour's drive of my house, can't wait.

Post edited at 23:54
ElArt 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Rain 

In reply to The Lemming:

Walls to open. Period.

In reply to The Lemming:

I will give it a month or so and see how it pans out.

The 2hr windows offer little encouragement, barely worth the drive, a facility to book (and pay for) a double slot would be useful. 

In reply to The Lemming:

> What would it take, if anything, for you to go back to an indoor wall to climb and bolder?

First off being open ! 

Second being not busy

Third feeling safe and not at risk inside.

OP The Lemming 22 Jul 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> Third feeling safe and not at risk inside.

As with climbing in general, people will have to acknowledge and accept some risk because the virus is not going away any time soon.

Owners of Walls can not reduce risk completely to zero, that's impossible.

So what's an acceptable level of risk while playing with a hands-on passtime and then moving away from that environment to your work and home life?

Not everybody is fastidious with hand hygiene at the best of times. I'm sure we've seen many people come out of the bogs, not wash their hands and climb straight away. And we're only taking about a bit of piss there. 

Food for thought.

Post edited at 07:14
In reply to The Lemming:

Having just read what the wall near me is doing to reopen . 

It sounds proper shit .  So probably I won't go anyway.  Sounds no fun at all

Not getting at them.  Just like everything else it's taken the fun out going . Especially if your going for human contact

Post edited at 08:39
 ianstevens 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Couple of rainy days should do it

Trangia 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I don't climb anymore, but if I did I wouldn't be rushing to go back to walls. In general I am avoiding being indoors as much as possible when away from home and am avoiding indoor/enclosed venues.

spenser 22 Jul 2020

I've just read through the restrictions at said wall. I really don't feel that inspired and am probably going to be spending more time playing about on my bike instead.

Hutson 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm still trying to avoid being indoors with other people as much as possible so won't be going back to the walls just yet. Husband has asthma so I'd not want to bring it home.

Also, my favoured kind of climbing is ropes, but I'm on the wrong side of London for that, so previously used to make a day of it, and it's not going to be worth travelling a 3 hour round trip for a 2 hour slot.

I can boulder much closer to home, but I've never been much of a boulderer so it doesn't seem worth the risk.

In reply to spenser:

> I've just read through the restrictions at said wall. I really don't feel that inspired and am probably going to be spending more time playing about on my bike instead.

Yeah I won't be rushing back .  It sounds just so formal and awkward.  Online booking 2 hours slots , one way system , etc etc.  

It not their fault , it just doesn't sound pleasant.

I hope you are well mate

Andy Johnson 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

It feels too soon to me. The risk/reward ratio seems too large.

Awesome Walls will presumably reactivate my membership payments soon, and for the time being I'm reasonably happy with that even though I can't see myself using the wall. If it still looks dodgy moving into the autumn/winter then I guess I may reconsider.

spenser 22 Jul 2020

Yeah, nothing against the wall, I'm not planning on going to any walls imminently as that seems to be the level of restriction which is required to make it work.

I'm getting on well, will probably drop you an email later.

Neil Williams 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

The wall to be open, mostly.  Also a (non COVID) medical issue to resolve enough to climb (at the moment it would be insanely painful), but that should hopefully be the case within a week or two as it is now being treated and recovery has noticeably started.

Post edited at 10:27
 Iamgregp 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I'm booked in to climb indoors 3 times next week....

owlart 22 Jul 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

My local wall has announced it will be reopening on Monday with no booking system, just turn up and climb! It's going to be carnage! I'll be staying away for the foreseeable future.

Flinticus 22 Jul 2020
In reply to ElArt:

We've got that!

I'll probably go. In Scotland 'Deaths linked to Covid-19 accounted for less than 1% of deaths recorded by NRS last week, down from a peak of 36% in late April.' and 'The first minister also said only 0.3% of coronavirus tests were coming back with positive results, well below the 5% threshold at which the World Health Organisation considers outbreaks to be "under control".

Also, from today, in Scotland, beauticians, nail salons and tattoo parlours can reopen. I think I consider these higher risk that indoor climbing

Jon Stewart 22 Jul 2020

> epecially if your going for human contact

Sounds ideal - I hate human contact! 

Christy 22 Jul 2020
In reply to owlart:

Do they record who is in the place, keep a count and limit numbers? At least 1 place in Ireland does that without a booking system.  Works fine.  Had to queue outside one day for a bit though when they had a kids session on and it got busy.  Generally it has been pretty empty though as many are being cautious.  Maybe see how regulations go and see how busy they end up being.  They have a handy counter on their site so you can tell how many are in there at any one time as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...