UKC

'Winged Scapula'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EddieBauer 22 Sep 2021

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this particular ailment? (Allegedly usually caused by damage to the long thoracic nerve which supplies the Serratus Anterior muscle.)

Specifically whether it returned to normal, how long it took and whether any specific treatment required?

Any useful info much appreciated and thanks v much in advance,

R

n1ge 22 Sep 2021
In reply to EddieBauer:

Lots of videos on youtube with exercises to try and fix scapula winging. I think this is the best one I've seen: youtube.com/watch?v=rel5a-IqhhE&

ian caton 22 Sep 2021
In reply to EddieBauer:

Lots of causes. Google thoracic outlet syndrome, rucksack syndrome, brachial neuropathy, parsonage turner syndrome, neuralgyc amytrophy. 

But basically yes nerve to serratus anterior knackered for one reason or another. I was diagnosed with parsonage turner. But later as nerve stretch injury, level 2 of 3.

It took 4 years for me, and i climbed harder after than before, but it could feel weird on certain moves for years after. Nothing to do but be easy on yourself, nerves don't like stress. Imagine it working (i kid not). Improvement comes in step changes not gradually. And even when it's back working it can go back to winging after a couple of days on. Now, 11 years later, i don't think about it.

A good neuro physio can help. Other muscles trying to take over can get very tight e.g.Levatir scapulae up into your neck.

You must get it checked out properly because it can be a symptom of really nasty stuff. To be explicit, nerve can be damaged by tumour so mri. 

Good luck. PM me if you need to but memory fading. Get to the doc. 

On the positive side i have met people who have got over this in months. It depends on the level of damage to the nerve. Level 1 is soon recovered from. Level 3 the nerve has been severed. 

Post edited at 21:06
 Max factor 22 Sep 2021
In reply to EddieBauer:

I had this because of nerve damage, poor form exercising I think but it may also have been accupuncture by someone who was inexperienced at this. Spotted just before a trip to Kalymnos, it's quite disturbing to see in profile e.g. if you lift your arm above your head. I had the diagnosis confirmed by nerve conduction tests, my consultant said it would either get better in 18m or it wouldn't. Luckily it did about exactly that time. 

I did do some physio and kept climbing easy routes. Also lost a load of weight/muscle from no longer bouldering.

Wishing you well for a full recovery.

Max

OP EddieBauer 22 Sep 2021
In reply to Max factor:

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to comment - all great advice and really  appreciated.

Been sitting on it for a few of months, partly due to somewhat dismissive GP, but will be much more proactive now!

Thanks again,

R

Si dH 22 Sep 2021
In reply to EddieBauer:

I had a winging left scapula 5-6 years ago. I only realised when I went to see a physio due to a shoulder impingement problem that was causing me a lot of pain. She prescribed a series of exercises with therabands that pretty much fixed it (at least from a climbing perspective) over about 5-6 months.

The exercises required some concentration - the first step was really just learning to 'feel' my scapula and what it was doing when I loaded my shoulder, which I had never done before and took some time. I could then make a conscious effort to try to ensure it was positioned correctly when doing the exercises (and I've continued to do this over the intervening years when training on a fingerboard, bar etc.)

I think the theraband exercises were mostly aimed at strengthening my lower trap, but memory is hazy and that might be an over simplification. If you have a problem I would recommend finding a physio.

Post edited at 21:49
 ian caton 23 Sep 2021
In reply to EddieBauer:

Hi again.

https://www.brachialplexus.scot.nhs.uk/

These people are, i think, the centre of  everything brachial plexus wise in the uk. If you give them a call they will tell you who to go to near you. Theirs is a small world. Assuming it is a brachial plexus problem. 

Post edited at 08:01
OP EddieBauer 23 Sep 2021
In reply to ian caton:

Super - thanks again guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...