UKC

And finally; The Seam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rogerwebb 07 Dec 2017
People may or may not remember my longstanding decades old issue with this route. Suffice to say I have forgotten how often I have left the house, or not quite left the house for it without ever reaching the bottom. Reasons include, child sickness, partner sickness, last minute work, car crashes, rescues, partners falling in burns and according to one over imaginative dream the intervention of the 3rd Soviet Shock Army.

On Saturday having taken the step of appealing for foreign intervention with German assistance (thanks Henning) I finally made it to the start.
The route didn't disappoint, it is not the hardest, longest, most remote or newest route I have ever done but in terms of smug satisfaction it is up there.
It is a wonderful little route with a great line. If you haven't done it you should.
Thanks to Henning for success and Gary, James, Will, Neil, Chris, Fiona, Simon and all the other people who wasted a day with me not getting it done.
 Andy Nisbet 07 Dec 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

A three star route, but worth more than that to you, I'm sure.
 Exile 08 Dec 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

We did it, (again - did it about 14 years ago,) last Sunday. I'd forgotten quite how good it is.

Has anybody done the Seamstress?
 planetmarshall 08 Dec 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

The first time I attempted this I fell just above the belay on the first pitch, mangled my ankle and limped back to the carpark with the assistance of my partner in about 2 hours.

When I finally did it, I still found the first pitch sketchy as hell. Great top pitch, though.
OP rogerwebb 08 Dec 2017
In reply to planetmarshall:

You sure you weren't climbing with me?
 Heike 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Exile:

> We did it, (again - did it about 14 years ago,) last Sunday. I'd forgotten quite how good it is.

> Has anybody done the Seamstress?

Yeah, I did that with my husband a few years ago when we found some kind child-minding person. Really cool route. Quite hard for the grade or I was just out of practice...
 mike barnard 08 Dec 2017
In reply to Exile:

>
> Has anybody done the Seamstress?

Tried it maybe 8-10 years ago. A contender for the steepest IV ever? And no, I didn't get up it!
In reply to Exile:

I've done Seamstress twice, it's good

Stuart
 GaryK 09 Dec 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

Well done Roger, finally success. This raises the problem of me finding someone to do it with now - I'll have to find my own German expat to drag me up it.

I'm back in town in early January, I'll catch up with you then.

Gary
OP rogerwebb 09 Dec 2017
In reply to GaryK:

I'll do it with you, but it might take another decade or so.
Bring a life jacket though.
Well worth it.

See you in January
In reply to GaryK:

I've never done it Gary...
 GaryK 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

You're on. Do you have any German heritage? It seems to be the secret to success.
 French Erick 11 Dec 2017
In reply to GaryK:

> You're on. Do you have any German heritage? It seems to be the secret to success.

Gary, as well as Dan if he doesn't mind climbing as a 3. Will foreigner suffice? I have never tried it. I've always fancied doing it though.
 doz 11 Dec 2017
In reply to French Erick:

my great great granny might have been German or certainly visited....
 TobyA 11 Dec 2017

My Great Nan was caller Muller until WWI - her dad was Austrian, and I've not climbed the Seam either... We could do an old school UKC picnic there...
 Euge 11 Dec 2017
In reply to rogerwebb:

I backed of it twice in 2005 & 2006...
Finally got back to it last year and nailed it.

Great great climb.

Euge
In reply to GaryK:

Absolutely zilch... but we won't go wrong with a bit of Gallic savoir faire

More the merrier
In reply to TobyA:

Seams like we have the makings of an old gits' day out
 doz 12 Dec 2017

does that mean I'm in Dan? Old and according to my son definitely bit of a git..........
 French Erick 12 Dec 2017

Better Gallic savoir faire than garlic savoir vivre...for the partners that is

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...