UKC

Ben Lui - central gully

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fieldus 04 Dec 2012
Hey up,

Just wondering if anyone's been near Ben Lui recently. I was thinking of having a cheeky wee solo on central gully weds/thurs, or would I be better off doing a circuit of the ridges?

Cheers in advance
 JohnnyW 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus:
I went past at the weekend, so can only comment on what I saw from a distance, and what I understand of our recent conditions - I would stick to the ridges for now. Not enough consolidation yet.
In reply to Fieldus: Will be risque, big unconsolidated snow slope loaded with windslab. Best done under neve conditions.
 Gazlynn 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus:

I think it says in one of my guidebooks that it's best avoided early and late in the season.

I'd stick to a ridge somewhere but it's your call.

cheers

Gaz
 JamesRoddie 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus:

Big dump of snow sunday night and during monday. I wouldn't go anywhere near it.
 Only a hill 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus:
The circuit of the ridge is a very enjoyable outing in its own right--Grade I in places and pleasingly spiky.
 hydraulicwave 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus: If you wait for perfect conditions you'll never get anything done. Go up and check it out, do a few tests and make a call.
Fieldus 04 Dec 2012
Cheers guys,

Might check out the gully, but the ridges are definitely favorite at the mo.
 DaveHK 04 Dec 2012
In reply to hydraulicwave:
> (In reply to Fieldus) If you wait for perfect conditions you'll never get anything done. Go up and check it out, do a few tests and make a call.

No-ones saying wait for perfect conditions just wait till it looks half decent which it doesn't right now. That way you are less likely to waste a day going to see.

JamesRoddie 04 Dec 2012
In reply to DaveHK:

Evidence of avalanches below some of the Glencoe gullies today, and if anything there looked to be slightly more fresh snow in southern Highlands today. I'd say going to have a look at Central Gully would be pretty un-wise.
 Milesy 04 Dec 2012
In reply to hydraulicwave:
> (In reply to Fieldus) If you wait for perfect conditions you'll never get anything done. Go up and check it out, do a few tests and make a call.

There is perfect conditions and there are stupid conditions. Ben Lui is a notorious avalanche black spot - read "chance in a million". I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole after heavy fresh snow fall and no consolidation.
 Jamie B 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus:

Swum some of the way up West Gully on Beinn an Dothaidh on Saturday, there was absolutely no consolidation and it was no fun.

There is absolutely no point in doing any gully route right now. If you are lucky they will consist of deep powder overlying loose rubble and the going will be slow and tortuous. If you are unlucky, windslab will be forming and you may get avalanched and die.

Do a ridge.
Slugain Howff 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Who forced a man with your vast experience up West Gully on Saturday?
 Jamie B 04 Dec 2012
In reply to Slugain Howff:

We were looking for a route on the wall beyond Taxus. It wasn't dangerous, just unpleasant.
 SeeGee 04 Dec 2012
In reply to JamesRoddie: Hi James, given your comment about the avalanche debris in Glencoe, would it be worth avoiding tomorrow? Was thinking of Stob Coire nam Beith? Might be changing my plans now tho
 JamesRoddie 04 Dec 2012
In reply to SeeGee:

I could see evidence of slides underneath some of the gullies on Stob Coire nan Lochan, but I'm not sure about elsewhere. I'd certainly recommend against climbing any of the gullies in Glencoe for a little while, lots of fresh snow lying on top of a layer of largely unconsolidated older stuff.
 SeeGee 04 Dec 2012
In reply to JamesRoddie: thanks James
 David Reid 05 Dec 2012
In reply to Fieldus:

As all have already said stick to the ridges, but if you head out when planned for central gully I dare say you will come across avalanche debris at the moment, enjoy your back up plan and climb safe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...