UKC

Conditions on the Cuillin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 skippyridgway 08 Apr 2013
Hi - would really appreciate any updates over the week on conditions on the Cuillin ridge at the moment.

Cheers, Sarah
 Nic DW 08 Apr 2013
In reply to skippyridgway:

Was up there (southern sections) both Friday and yesterday. There is nice hard neve on much of the ridge as well as plenty of bear rock. Slopes on south facing aspects are for the most part clear whilst those on north facing still contain significant snow and ice. Much of it certainly requires crampons, although bits (notably the in-pin) do not. Met a number of teams who were doing the whole traverse and said is was fantastic all the way along. Winter routes in the corries that don't catch the sun might be in nick but lean.

I should add that is was snowing and settling in Kintail down to the A87 last night so there may well now be fresh snow on the ridge.
In reply to skippyridgway: there's a real mixture of soft snow, bone hard neve, slab and dry rock, plus the fresh stuff from sunday. very much depends on the aspect. northern corries have loads of snow and ice still, some southern slopes bare. enjoy yourself - its excellent
 Jhutch 09 Apr 2013
In reply to skippyridgway:Hi, Yes there is a real mixture of snow types on the ridge on Friday and Saturday. We even got water from the snow patch below the In Pin. Still some ice on Sgurr Mhic Chonnich but a bit rotten
OP skippyridgway 09 Apr 2013
Thanks guys - will be heading up Monday next week so any more updates over the weekend would be amazing. Cheers
OP skippyridgway 16 Apr 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: pics of the ridge last night on the blog: http://sarzmountainrun.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/making-most-of-weather-window...

not much left up there on the southern end - northern end looks bit packed still

nice being up here even with the grim weather!
In reply to skippyridgway: not quite the same as 10 days ago. here's what it looked like then: http://johnfleetwood.smugmug.com/Scotland/ScottishIslands/Skye-2013/2893007...

always a good place though
OP skippyridgway 12 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: any one got any updates on conditions on the ridge? Cheers heaps for any info!
 BnB 12 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: Yes. Did Blaven/Clach Glas traverse on Wednesday and Sgurr Na Gillean/Sgurr Na h'Uamha on Friday. Virtually no snow on the ridge itself. Vestigial patches down to 750m on north facing aspects, but small in extent, soft in character and all avoidable. At least as far as I experienced. Torridon similar on southern aspects, just the final 100m of Spidein a Choire Leith under snow. Northern corries probably still holding snow but I never went round that side.
OP skippyridgway 16 May 2013
In reply to BnB: thanks heaps BnB - decided to hang on till early June - fingers crossed for some stable, warm weather... cheers
 Nic DW 16 May 2013
Any further updates? Heading up this weekend and need to decide on whether to take any winter kit

Cheers,

Nick
 BnB 16 May 2013
In reply to Nic DW: If you've room in the car I'd take crampons and a single axe. Walking poles could be handy. Expect not to need them by next week but it has been snowing again since last Friday. Coire a Bhasteir (visible from Sligachan) is one of the last places on the Cuillin to hold snow so you get a good idea just stood with your back to the pub.
 Simon Caldwell 16 May 2013
In reply to BnB:

Latest forecasts suggest it might be turning cold again next week after a slight warming this weekend.
 Cameron94 16 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: I was out helping people on the Inn Pinn yesterday and there was snow still clinging to the ridge from around 850/900m nothing solid or neve like and there was plenty of bare rock to be found inc the pinn itself which only had snow on the ledges.

Rime was forming on anything facing north (-2 at 960m) but the temperature is set to rise through the week.

Crampons and an axe are still worth carrying.
 Simon Caldwell 16 May 2013
In reply to Cameron94:
> the temperature is set to rise through the week

it's set to rise through the weekend, and then fall again next week, with freezing level below the summits.

Until they change their minds again
 BnB 16 May 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Hey Cameron. Forecast is looking good for week after next. Fancy doing the round of Coire Laggan as well as Pinnacle Ridge?
 Nathan Adam 16 May 2013
In reply to BnB: You peering into your crystal ball again fella ?
 BnB 17 May 2013
> (In reply to BnB) You peering into your crystal ball again fella ?

In reply to Nath93: Yes. I see a tall dark (okay, balding) stranger will allight on Skye next weekend. And he shall cast off his daily cares and stride forth onto the ridge. And he shall peer around him for local climbers who'll get him up the scary bits
 Scott Kirkhope 17 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: Some photos of sections of the ridge from this week. http://scottkirkhope.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/a-catch-up-and-skye-conditions....
 Gawyllie 18 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway: a lot of snow on the southern peaks, crest is pretty much snow free from the Inpin northwards

a lot of snow in the basteir coire still.
 Only a hill 18 May 2013
In reply to skippyridgway:
Some recent pics from Glencoe Mountaineer giving a good overview of portions of the ridge:
http://glencoemountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-north-ridge-of-sgurr-n...
OP skippyridgway 31 May 2013
In reply to Only a hill: lovely pics as usual! are you on the ridge next week? Thinking about heading up if conditions look good - be great to hook up if you are about. I'd greatly appreciate any updates on weather outlook after the weekend - My email is sarah@runsnowdonia.co.uk

thanks in advance, Sarah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...