UKC

Good route this weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peas65 14 Feb 2013

Me and some mates are heading up to scotland this weekend, given the rather dubious forecast and interesting avalanche conditions and the thaw - great timing we know.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good route or two up to grade 3 or an easy 4, we dont mind ice or mixed but given the forecast i think mixed is more likely and safer.

Or alternatively a good mountaineering day out.

We were planning on heading to aviemore but are pretty flexible, so where would you be going this weekend?

p.s - we are looking for ideas not a berrating off the UKC massif!
 Roberttaylor 15 Feb 2013
In reply to peas65:

> We were planning on heading to aviemore but are pretty flexible, so where would you be going this weekend?
Northumberland, the weather looks naff high up.

Kevin Rutherford 15 Feb 2013
In reply to peas65:
Having been in Sneachda today which is still very wintery and holding on to cold air, id recommend heading West until things settle down. Lots of big loaded looking slopes, big fragile cornices, deep buried facets still being found on certain aspects, a very big avalanche track coming out of Jacobs Ladder area (it had a fresh dusting of snow on it, possibly released last night)............. hope im painting a picture. Fiacaill ridge was nice, busy but safe.
 Willismorris 16 Feb 2013
In reply to peas65: Was on the cobbler a lot over the last 2 weeks. been the best conditions i've ever had up there! all the crappy powder has slid off and the solid permafrost underneath thats been there since december has been left uncovered and its bomber! alot of good routes around the 3/4 grade about on it, its a nice easy walk-in and its only an hour from glasgow, cant really ask for more if you get the conditions right! not sure how it will all last with this thaw today and over the next 3 days but its meant to get cold again after that and on the steeper ground this could result in alot of secure thaw-freeze ice. if you want a good challenge, try north wal grove (V/6) could be in amazing nick if that thaw refreezes! enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...