I've taken a look at the weather line, noticed a fair few of the fell top assessors stating there is some consolidated Neve in and around Red Tarn Cove given the recent freeze/thaw. What is the general consensus on conditions around there, including Brown Cove Crag?
Hoping to head up on Thurs for the day with the missus for some easy grade I/II if there is anything going. Won't be hacking any turf as I doubt it is frozen yet.
If anyone has been recently I would appreciate any update!
To keep the thread going has anyone been out this week?
Will be out on Sunday if conditions allow
Looks like a freeze thaw tomorrow so Sunday is a distinct possibility.
This is the top of Yoke in Kentmere this afternoon. Fair bit of windblown snow but all unconsolidated powder, most from last night.
Fingers crossed for some lakes winter. I'm gagging to freeze my tits off and climb some mixed, wonder why on earth I'm doing it and just wish I was in a warm cozy living room, get home think how awesome it was and then go back and do it all over again.
Comfort is overrated.
Worth leeping an eye on the turf temps here too
> There's snow down to 200m
But the sheep turds on Little Mell Fell aren't frozen?
Looking out my window earlier. Checking the map it's 300m. Got no more to give!
> Looking out my window earlier...
Not any more. Putting a movie on.
Had a run up Bowscale Fell around 4pm to see what’s what. Slush up to 600m and only slightly firmer above this. Most snow stripped by the rain but east facing slopes still holding a bit.
A good freeze tonight will firm everything up just depends how much snow/ice is left after today’s thaw.
I will probably go out for a look tomorrow regardless.
Ran around Blea Water area Sat/PM. Deep wet snow & unfrozen turf at all levels, becks in spate but also quite a lot of ice in evidence. No climbing yet but with a sustained freeze …
By the way, the road along Haweswater was flooded at the hotel & not passable to ordinary cars adding 7km to the approach.
Had a look at Brown Cove crag. Soft snow and very little ice low down but decent towards the top of the crag. Ground not frozen so just walked up.
Looking to head out for a few days from Wednesday. The forecasts are bobbing up and down a bit but it looks like the Lakes this coming week is marginally colder than up Scotland if things continue as predicted.
Anything doing? I was up around Red Tarn a few days back, granted it was very mild, but nothing going.
Hopefully this weekend may be more promising if the overnight freezes continue...
A couple of friends did one of the easy gullies around Red Tarn at the weekend and reported it to be climbable. However there's not been much snow nor is there any forecast so I wouldn't expect there to be much change.
I did Striding Edge in reverse on Saturday and it can be done entirely on rock other than a patch of neve at the exit on the Helvellyn side.
This Winter Conditions page gives a summary of what is being climbed at the moment, what is 'in' nick and what the prospects are...