UKC

Scottish winter crags with easyish access - suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Tucker 19 Jan 2024

As an age challenged climber I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I can't cope with the long days and effort that a long approach entails. Any suggestions for crags where access is not too strenuous?

Obvious ones, to me, being - Sneachda, Cha No, Udlaidh, Creag Coire an Dothaidh.

I now live in Scotland so just about anywhere us good,grades up to IV,

CHEERS

Phil

petegunn 19 Jan 2024
In reply to Phil Tucker:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/winter_climbing/easy_scottish_winter_with...?

This thread came up recently, a few different crags listed with some normal ukc banter

Rich W Parker 20 Jan 2024
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Buachaille if there's enough useful snow; Meall Gorm in Wester Ross if it's cold enough. If it's really cold for a while there's tons in Glencoe, eg the lower bowels of Number 2 Gully on Aonach Dubh, there's a deep canyon that gives several 20m pitches of WI4. Needs to be dry for a while then super cold for a week for that one. Aonach Mor is only about 600 of ascent if you get the Gondola and gets you a ton of stuff on the east face provided it's not haunted by enormous cornices. Again needs to be cold, but there's some nice ice climbing in Coire Garbhlach above Glen Feshie. If you've got an e-bike you can make short work of the approach to Coire Chat on Cruachan - good for early season snowed up rock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...