UKC

/ Snowdonia

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Neil Anderson - on 09 Dec 2017
Anyone have latest road and access conditions please.....
Ffat Boi - on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Neil Anderson:

roads are fine
TobyA on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Ffat Boi:

> roads are fine

That's good to hear - yesterday the police were asking people to avoid the A55 due to snow related accidents. A quick google found this http://trafficcameras.uk/a55/ it does look like snow that fell along the north coast of Wales at least has mainly melted away already.
dmbishop - on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Hey everyone.
Does anyone know the state of nameless cwm.
Thank you.
TobyA on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to dmbishop:

People are report from the top of Snowdon today that lots of snow but turf not frozen even very high, and that supports the BMC Cwm Idwal turf monitoring https://www.thebmc.co.uk/idwal Lots of reports from the Lakes saying the same. Maybe tomorrow is a day for a walk but not for climbing.
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. Really appreciate the response. It's a long way for me to travel.

And thanks for the bmc link.
richlan - on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:
I concur, had a run up helvellyn from swirls then over to whiteside, raise and sticks pass, not a lot of snow about and pretty soft underfoot, gullies in brown cove crags look empty, still people tramping around with crampons on, who knows why as fell shoes were more than adequate even down lower man.
Post edited at 18:27
JackM92 - on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:

Out camping last night and turf partially frozen at 300ish meters. Depends so much on slope aspect.
geoff b on 09 Dec 2017

Did the Cwm Glas horseshoe today (Crib Goch & Crib y Ddysgl). Quite a bit of snow in places like the Cyrn Las flank where yesterday's wind deposited it, but less on the ridges (e.g. Crib Goch), such that we didn't need crampons for most of the day. Turf is still damp & not yet frozen, snow is largely dry (as is the rock) & powdery, ice is beginning to form in places but not enough to climb anything yet. It all needs a good thaw/freeze cycle. Snowed up rock routes might go, if the snow hasn't been blown off & I think Detox (left of Reade's Route) got climbed today. Blizzards forecast tomorrow & freeze/thaw subsequently, so will be worth a visit later in the week. Hope that helps folks.
In reply to geoff b:

Yes it really does. Thanks a lot ????????????
In reply to geoff b:

Sorry that was ment to be a smiley face emoji but came out as question marks. I ment it in a genuine way. Thanks
Alex Riley on 09 Dec 2017
In reply to JackM92:

Jack where were you camping? I was out in the Carneddau yesterday and up Crib Coch today and the turf wasn't really frozen anywhere. Bits of ice forming in places and some rime on summits but not much more.
JackM92 - on 10 Dec 2017
In reply to Alex Riley:

Near Llanberis. Walked up to Glyder Fach today but didn't climb. And a lot of the turf was frozen but equally a lot wasn't.
Alex Riley on 10 Dec 2017
In reply to JackM92:

I didn't come across any frozen turf, not for lack of looking. Are you sure it didn't just have a frosty coating?
kevin stephens - on 10 Dec 2017
In reply to anyone:
is there enough snow for anything to be skiable?

Neil Anderson - on 10 Dec 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

Snowing all day with a lot of wind blown snow filling in upto thigh depth on Tryfan.

Due to drifting a lot of heather and rock protruding. Probably some scope though to find ascent / descent lines
tipsy - on 11 Dec 2017
In reply to kevin stephens:

I was thinking of heading up from cardiff to explore on Tuesday so let me know if anyone finds anything.
dkilner - on 11 Dec 2017
In reply to tipsy:
I'm also thinking of heading up (from cardiff)early tomorrow morning. Cold night and day ahead of us and pictures of Snowdonia are looking wind scoured...good for freezing out that ground. Fingers and arms crossed.
Tipsy have messaged you.
Post edited at 09:30
jas wood - on 11 Dec 2017

Anyone know if ice is starting to build mid level?
geoff b on 12 Dec 2017

Hi folks, conditions are looking excellent for the next few days as the forecast has thaw/freeze oscillating nicely. We were climbing on Clogwyn Du today; there was snow on the ground from 300m, ice was visibly forming on the Cwm Idwal routes but probably not enough to be climbable yet. Ground (turf) is not frozen until 850m but exposed turf is rock hard & there's ice forming in lower Cwm Cneifion; the routes on the flanks of the cwm have formed (Nameless Face, Tower Slabs etc) & saw traffic today. Clogwyn Du is in excellent condition; Hidden Gully, Cleft Gully, Manx Wall, Pillar Chimney & Left Hand Y Gully all had ascents today and are in great condition. Furthermore it started snowing at 2.30pm & accumulated quickly enough to form a cornice above Easy Gully in 2 hours! It's raining in 'Beris now, so potentially there's going to be a lot more snow up there. Lastly, the path from Idwal was unpleasantly icy at 5pm which is kind of good I guess!
Misha - on 12 Dec 2017
In reply to geoff b:
Thanks, great update. Any thoughts on Ysgolion Duon? Probably not quite there if turf isn't frozen until 850m (think the crag base is a bit lower but can't quite remember) but a few more days will do it. Bit of a thaw overnight but that could actually be a good thing as you say.
geoff b on 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Misha:

Ha! I half expected to see you on the cliff today Misha. Ysgolion Duon might be a good bet by the end of the week, it really depends on how warm it is tonite as this front moves through. It should stay freezing all week above 800m (according to MWIS) and on Friday it has it cooling again, so they might be a good bet at the weekend. Mwynhewch dude.
wolf.leeb - on 12 Dec 2017
In reply to geoff b:
Concur.. weekend looks good atm.
clogwyn du should survive but I wouldn’t bet on much else.
Post edited at 20:38
Misha - on 12 Dec 2017
In reply to geoff b:
I’m locked in an office Mon - Fri. Made a snowman yesterday lunchtime though. Looks like it’s warming up on Sunday... although Clogwyn LH would still be ok and depending when the warm front hits the mixed might still be ok up there with an early start. We shall see!
Post edited at 22:29
TobyA on 12 Dec 2017
In reply to Misha:

Have you got anyone to climb with at the weekend Misha? I'm hoping to get something done on Saturday...
Misha - on 13 Dec 2017
In reply to TobyA:
Yes, plans are afoot...
Ffat Boi - on 13 Dec 2017

It`s all gone, no snow or Ice anymore

mrphilipoldham - on 13 Dec 2017
In reply to Ffat Boi:

Well that's not entirely true is it? Plenty lurking low down beneath the cloud base still!

http://snowdon.webcam/archive/snowdon1-20171213-111003-153898-orig.jpg
geoff b on 13 Dec 2017

Unfortunately heavy rain & warmer temperatures did strip much of the snow cover last night. However it was sleeting in 'Beris by 5pm & that means snow higher up. Temperatures are also set to drop again over the next 3 days (MWIS has -3C at 900m) so there's still hope for Friday & the weekend.
Pay Attention - on 14 Dec 2017
In reply to geoff b:

Is there any more recent news on Snowdonia conditions?
I may take my old school axes instead of the tools.
A snow gully would be as good for the morale as a WI 4.
Almost as good ....
mrphilipoldham - on 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Pay Attention:

Good ice up on Clogwyn Ddu yesterday, with a mix of partially consolidated snow and some not. Fine for step kicking en-route but not overly fun!
Pay Attention - on 15 Dec 2017
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Many thanks for the update, mrphilipoldham

YHS
geoff b on 16 Dec 2017

Excellent conditions on Clogwyn Du again today & great to see so many folk making the journey up here to enjoy them. Ice was more 'plastic' & there was more rime than earlier in the week. Hidden Gully, Cleft Gully, Travesty (Direct?), Pillar Chimney, L-H Y Gully, R-H Y Gully & Golden Girl Ali all saw ascents; L-H Y was apparently in super condition. Unfortunately incoming warm weather tomorrow looks like it's all over until after Christmas.
kimma - on 17 Dec 2017

Hello all,

Heading up to Snowdonia for the week. Was thinking of doing the Snowdon horseshoe tomorrow, as the weather looks best. Any update on conditions? Particularly Crib Goch

Have done it a number of times at other times of year, but don't have and winter kit with us.

Thanks.
Kim
GerM - on 17 Dec 2017
In reply to kimma:

I'd say whatever anyone says, they'd only be guessing.

My thoughts are it could depend a lot on what exactly has gone on today, but there is a good chance that there may still be substantail patches of snow around, given how much was still around yesterday.

Crib Goch may well be snow free, given today's rain, and my guess would be it is the area least likely to cause issues. But could be covered in verglas by tomorrow morning, making it potentially dangerous.

The area most likely to be dangerous at a guess is starting from Snowdon toward Lliwedd. Descending direct to Blwch y Saethau, or following the top of the Watking could be a nightmare if snow, even soft snow persists in the area.

The fact that most of the usual escape options may well be under well compacted snow also complicates matters.

It could be in wet summer conditions, or there might be bits of substantial white slipperyness.

Unless anyone has seen it all today, and it is definitely snow free, I'd be careful about going for it without any winter kit.
kimma - on 17 Dec 2017
In reply to GerM:

Thanks, this is useful. Think we'll do something shorter tomorrow and see later in the week. I see also that Play y Brenin does hire out winter kit, which I didn't know previously.

jas wood - on 03 Jan 2018
In reply to kimma:

Anyone know what the state of play is around the higher crags as it's starting to cool?

Any ice remaining around or total re-build.
SebCa - on 03 Jan 2018
In reply to jas wood:

I drove down Llanberis Pass today, looked pretty bare to be honest...
JackM92 - on 04 Jan 2018
In reply to SebCa:

Out walking today and even high up in wind so strong it blew me over there was no need to wear gloves. So very very warm and soggy right now.
Neil Anderson - on 06 Jan 2018
In reply to jas wood:

Reports on state of water ice build up with this easterly freeze would be appreciated..... normally takes 4 or 5 day’s to bring a few classics into play.
ianstevens - on 06 Jan 2018

> Reports on state of water ice build up with this easterly freeze would be appreciated..... normally takes 4 or 5 day’s to bring a few classics into play.

Then you may want to wait 4 or 5 days before going to look.
geoff b on 07 Jan 2018

Super cold out on the hills today with a bitter East wind. A smattering of snow from 800m upwards it but didn't look like enough to climb anything, unless you're keen to scratch around on rock. Pools of water and turf frozen solid above 800m, so lines dependent on that medium might be a good bet over the next week as the forecast suggests it's going to stay cold.
geoff b on 09 Jan 2018

Out in Cwm Idwal & across the Glyder Fawr plateau today looking for lines to play on this morning. Idwal Stream looked good from the path but up close there was too much water flowing in & around it for my peace of mind. South Gully, The Ramp, Screen, Curtain, Appendix, Sting, Cellar etc are all forming but need a couple more days of cold weather to be good enough to climb. If it stays cold 'til the weekend you might be in luck. Higher up (c.700m & above) there was evidence of a temperature inversion as the ground was not as frozen as lower down (c.300m). Very little old neve left & not much of the recent snow left on the tops to aid thaw/freeze cycle unfortunately. Clogwyn Du was bare; even Hidden Gully looked thin (tho' some footprints showed it had been ascended recently) & a couple of folk were scratching their way up a thin Right Hand Y Gully. Pillar Chimney's main pitch looked in but thin (the approach pitch had virtually no snow) whilst Left Hand Y was dry until the top ice ramp. The lines up the back of Cwm Cneifion (i.e. the various icy slabs & neve gullies) were thin but might be doable, the lower cwm's streams looked similar to Idwal Stream. The Gribin Ridge was a lot more fun!

Over in The Pass, Sergeant's Gully & Face Route, as well as the lines on Craig y Rhaedr, are beginning to form but again need a few more days. Upper Cwm Glas is holding some snow but the lines looked thin and patchy from the road. Snowed up rock routes and ridges look the better bet here.

Hope that helps folks.
TobyA on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to geoff b:

Amazing how much it sounds it has changed from Sunday! Idwal Stream was just a stream then and the Kitchen looked ice free from a distance. Clogwyn Du was hoared completely white as was the other side of the cwm where we did Golden Girl Ali.
Cornish boy - on 09 Jan 2018
In reply to geoff b:
Many thanks for your detailed report Geoff.

Fingers crossed that this cold spell continues and all these routes come into condition soon.

Cheers,

Paul
geoff b on 11 Jan 2018

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings this time. The temperatures have been a little bit warmer than we might have liked and the snow & ice are slowly melting away. A quick check from the roadside this afternoon up into Cwm Glas (in the Pass) showed that there's still a bit on Face Route & in the upper cwm (Parsley Fern area) but it's patchy & less than I'd hoped for: you'd be lucky to string a line out of it. All the lower stuff has gone. I think it would be fair to assume that Idwal would be similarly affected. If it's any comfort, the air is crystal clear & the views superb at the moment, if you're content to walk. Hopefully winter is not done yet!

Misha - on 11 Jan 2018
In reply to geoff b:

Colder again next week and this time it looks like the turf high up has stayed frozen (and the rock will be cold as well), so things should come in quickly, at least for the mixed. Bound to be mega next weekend as I’m not free!

Neil Anderson - on 12 Jan 2018
In reply to geoff b:

Thanks very comprehensive and useful. Think the brief inversion has put paid to the ice for this spell. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.