UKC

Which B3 mountaineering boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am looking in to buying mountaineering boots and a pair of crampons to go with it and advice would be much appreciated.

I am looking for B3, full shank boots that are suitable for 3000-4000 metre peaks in windy and cold environments. My eye is set on, and at my highest price, a pair of la sportiva G5 boots. Am also considering nepal extreme or evo. Crampons would be G12 as I will be combining slopes with minor ice climbing, and steep terrain.

Any help would really help me in choosing.

Thanks

Post edited at 23:15
 tehmarks 28 Nov 2018
In reply to Luca Karjalainen:

Summer or winter? I have a pair of Trango Extremes which have been ideal for summer alpinism in terms of temperature - not a great specific recommendation as they've been discontinued and replaced by new offerings, but might help in terms of gauging how light you can go. Of course, the Alps in summer aren't particularly cold once the sun is out.

For winter though they're obviously not appropriate.

olddirtydoggy 28 Nov 2018

As is often the case with all footwear it depends what fits your foot. Go into an experienced retailer and try on everything.

In reply to tehmarks:

Looking for all year round boots. Whenever snow and weather conditions look good!

Jellington 29 Nov 2018

Finding a 'perfect' boot for both winter and summer is quite difficult, if not impossible. In winter you need more warmth. When you use a warm boot like the G5 in summer it's gonna be quite warm and uncomfortable. Maybe take a look at the Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX (Pro)?  

Whatever choise you make: make sure they fit well. Go to an experienced shop where they're willing to help you find the boots that fit your feet. 

tehmarks 29 Nov 2018

You'll likely find yourself approaching on skis in the high mountains in the winter (because let's face it, snowshoes are horrible inventions), and so you might find you end up with a pair of ski touring boots for winter anyway. It is possible to ski in B3s with the right setup, but it's not recommended!

Post edited at 11:35
 Alex Slipchuk 30 Nov 2018

the ones that fit the best

Pbob 30 Nov 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Yep. The best boots are the ones that fit.

Billhook 30 Nov 2018

Go try them on in a shop.  

Its the ones that fit you won't remember when your wearing them.

But if they don't fit you'll never forget them.

In reply to Billhook:

thanks for the advice. I will go and try things on and see where it takes me.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...