A tremendous expedition that ranks as one of the UK's best VSs. The climbing is varied and positions spectacular. Start on a raised ledge left of Great Gully.
1) 4b, 12m. Climb up the arete until it is possible to traverse left to a belay on a grassy ledge.
2) 4b, 20m. Head rightwards up a scoop and shallow grooves to below a corner/groove (ledge on right). Climb the corner/groove until a traverse right can be made to reach a stance and belay.
3) 4c, 12m. Make an exposed traverse left across a wall and ledge until moves around a rib gain a slab and belay below the large roof.
4) 4a, 12m. Head up the wide crack leftwards under the roof, then pull up to a recess and belay on blocks just above.
5) 4c, 16m. Move out right on a slab under a bulge to an open groove. Climb the groove that leads up to a belay on the traverse of Arete, Chimney and Crack.
6) 4b, 24m. Move left and climb a groove to below an overhang, then step right to a spike. Move up past the overhang and follow a groove/corner to easier ground and belays. Scrambling remains to gain the top of the buttress. © Rockfax
The 100 Best UK VS routes?, Great VS Climbs in the Lake District, Heather's Multipitch Climbs, Kendal Wall's Best 100 climbs in Britain, Select VS Climbs in the Lake District, Dow's Classic Non-Extremes, Lakeland's Best Multi-pitch Routes up to HVS, 2016 Targets, High Quality Adventure routes, FRCC Mega Classics, Adventure ticklist 2018, UK Holiday Plans, Pre-MIA Wishlist, EUMC - Must do climbs, Libby Peter's VS Hit List, Nuts of Legends, York University Students path to greatness, Steve Ashton's 100 Classic Climbs The Lake District, Mountain Rock, ROCKFAX Lake District: Top 50, Bill Birkett (Classic Rock Climbs in the Lake District) Below E3, 2020 Trips