III, 230m. The second most popular route on this buttress includes some brilliant climbing - this is a great route taking an unlikely line up the middle of the face. Start 5m to the right of the lowest part of the rock.
1) 5c, Follow pitch 1 and 2 of the Contamine.
2) 5c, Step left off the belay and climb round to the left following a crack before heading right over a roof on the right to a belay.
3) 5c, Climb the superb left-leaning crack above. A fantastic pitch.
4) 6a, Move right off the belay and follow the crack to the foot of the crux.
5) 6b, The parallel cracks above the belay lead (after 10m) to some large flakes. Climb these (easier than the parallel cracks) to belay on the right, below slabbier ground.
6) 5b, Climb the slab via a series of cracks and pass rightwards of a small overhang to a well-positioned belay.
7) 5b, Keep following cracks and then a corner that allows you to rejoin the Contamine.
8) Follow the last two pitches of the Contamine. © Rockfax
A Contamine, P Labrunie, R Wohlschlag 30/Aug/1959.
Please Login to view more details on the logged ascents