UKC user Paul Sagar has sent in a tricky quiz involving cryptic clues for the names of popular crags around the UK. Test yourself and your mates - answers are in the forum thread.
Paul explained his quiz as follows:
"They range from the fairly easy to the slightly fiendish. And when I say "cryptic", I really just mean basic word play, not the advanced, rule-based, stuff you get in cryptic crosswords."
This quaking hound sounds like he has a different tail.
Leave famous country singer.
A love affair cut short with a cooling device.
The fashion consultant misheard where the baby sleeps.
Festively crowned before the large hill.
Prey for Black Beauty's footwear.
Up above, decaying backwards.
Oliver's pal is getting on, before a verge.
Brightly next to forest's greatest.
A joint's end, queuing in the clouds.
Rocky, the centre of a weight.
An amphibian packing heat?
South + West Coasts
After dinner wine goes into the ground, and that's how much it will cost.
The black ones are unexpected events and we all have one.
Is that a swimming tortoise's entry point?
A false sense of security can be combined with value.
Go down, pointy rhino!
Rest of Country
Is that a dark cold pub? (a mountain, rather than crag)
Excessively consuming cheese.
Giving assistance to a bluff?
Solo has his very own stones.
Moisture on the morning grass, instead of romancing.
Getting on and not a woman, is that a ship ahead?
A poacher jumps.
Part of a shopping centre, plus part of a pig, but this harbour isn't by the sea.
A just principal.
German child's demise.
The crow's wound healed.
- REVIEW: Peak Limestone Rockfax 30 Jun, 2020
- ARTICLE: Decking Out: Battling Complacency and Taboo in Climbing Culture 22 Jan, 2020
- ARTICLE: Guidebooks: What They Say vs. What They Mean 10 Oct, 2019
- ARTICLE: Online Budget Gear - The Perils of the Bargain Buy 18 Jun, 2019
- DESTINATION GUIDE: Carinthia - Austria 11 Aug, 2018
- SKILLS: From Punter to Crusher: How to Climb Sport 7a 21 Jun, 2018
- DESTINATION GUIDE: Tensleep Canyon: A Wilderness Paradise 15 Sep, 2017