UKC

I've just hit my yearly mileage target on Strava. Yay me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 17 Nov 2023

No one in my family is in the slightest bit interested, so I thought I might share here with the other slightly nerdy bike lovers. Cycling home from work this evening I got to my yearly target - a relatively modest 3000 kms, but I'm chuffed. I'm having a cup of tea now but will have a celebratory beer later.

How is everyone else doing on their self-imposed Strava-slave target-chasing? Can I offer hearty congrats to anyone else in a similar situation, where the IRL people in your life aren't even faintly interested and don't understand the massive groundbreaking achievement you have achieved?

Kudos to everyone still out cycling in the November mud and murk and cold.

jethro kiernan 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Take the rest of the year off! 😀

OP TobyA 17 Nov 2023
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Never! Wondering if I can do 3,500 now by new year... More seriously I haven't climbed the last two weekends and this one is looking doubtful with the forecast, so riding into work and home is all my exercise currently!

BusyLizzie 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Yay, well done!

I've run 1087 miles this year, target =1,200, so doing ok.

Persevere!

Doug 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I've been staying on tarmac most the time recently & don't have any targets, but out of interest have just looked and apparently I've pedalled a bit over 3000 Km & climbed (& I guess descended) some 6500m. Bit cold on the downhills this afternoon despite the hazy sunshine, not helped by the cold northerly wind.

But hopefully I can swap my bike for some skis fairly soon, although with so many of the xc ski trails damaged/destroyed in recent floods I might struggle to beat last years 1000+ Km skating even if the season is long.

Dave Todd 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

A big 'WELL DONE' from me!

> How is everyone else doing on their self-imposed Strava-slave target-chasing?

I know it's not biking, but I decided to set myself an equally-modest monthly running target on Strava - 100km.  10 down, 2 to go (and 86k already done in November).  1,273k so far in 2023.  Might reach 1,400?

OP TobyA 17 Nov 2023
In reply to Dave Todd:

>   1,273k so far in 2023.  Might reach 1,400?

Both that and Busy Lizzie's 1000 miles running is amazing! I haven't been out for a run (jog) in years. Me and running aren't great friends! 😀 So I'm well impressed with that.

Doug 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

just re-read my earlier post, too late to edit but should have been 65 000 m of climbing - only out by an order of magnitude.

stuartf 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I didn’t have a target, but given that I smashed my ankle to pieces at the start of February and only started getting back on the bike in June I’m quite pleased with the 2000km (28000m climbing) I’ve managed to do!

In reply to TobyA:

Well done all! Just trying to get in the last 70 miles or so to reach my 2000 mile year goal... Wishing I had the foresight to use km like you Toby so that it seems more!  

elsewhere 17 Nov 2023
In reply to Doug:

> just re-read my earlier post, too late to edit but should have been 65 000 m of climbing - only out by an order of magnitude.

Bugger, your original post was making me feel smug!

OP TobyA 17 Nov 2023
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

Funnily enough I looked at your Strava earlier as I saw your latest ride next to mine and I see it as kms?! As long as I'm not mixing my Simons up, I can see you've done 2929 kms this year so you're 71 km away from the big 3k! Does that work out in miles right?

Sealwife 17 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA

Well done - having a target is a great motivator for getting out the door in less than ideal conditions or when you really don’t feel like going.

I don’t cycle but I keep track of my yearly run target.  Hit 1000km at beginning of October.

In reply to TobyA:

No, maybe its a different Simon.. not that it matters. I'm on 1938 miles / 3118km (now that I'm geeking out on it)!

Toby_W 18 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Ha ha, I feel for you, as a grown up it sort of feels like you’re past praise for doing stuff.  I recently joined my daughters swimming club and while they are very encouraging most people, while pleased that you’re enjoying something don’t really realise how proud you feel about some grown up achievements.  I got a new PB for my 50 freestyle, 31.31s at a race recently, so pleased and I think I can go faster but, it’s not really that fast, but, but, I tried REALLY hard.🤣🤣

Cheers

Toby

MarkAstley 18 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Strava shows everyone in whatever units you have selected for yourself IIRC.

Mark

girlymonkey 18 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Great effort! Gold star for you!

I have had a very chaotic year with house moves and renovation etc. I didn't set any distance aims, but aimed to run twice a week, doesn't matter how far or how slow. I haven't quite done every week, but most weeks. Just back from an 8km canicross which didn't kill me. So I'm taking that as a win for this year. Hopefully, we won't still be doing renovations this time next year and I should get back to more running then

Fruit 18 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Congrats, I’m 12km away from mine, it helps to have a target I find, especially in the dark damp months. I find June ok 😉

OP TobyA 18 Nov 2023
 TMM 18 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Well done!

Modest goals this year after my 2,000 mile and 100km of elevation running challenge in 2022. 80% off road.

Running 6 days a week destroyed me as I never really got proper recovery and failed to stretch appropriately.

This year I’m down 2,500km and 60km of elevation. It feels like a let down after last year but it’s all the injuries will allow. Pilates now part of the mix to try and mitigate injury issues.

Post edited at 21:36
 mondite 18 Nov 2023
In reply to TMM:

> This year I’m down 2,500km and 60km of elevation. It feels like a let down after last year

It happens. This year I am under target cycling after being well over last year.

A mix of covid knocking me back for a bit over a month plus something else doing the same for another month plus the wet summer which meant I wasnt out most nights on the mountain bike hit it. For some odd reason I can only do indoor cycling when its dark and wet as opposed to just wet.

RobAJones 19 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Mid October I was well ahead of schedule for my altitude gain target. 

> Kudos to everyone still out cycling in the November mud and murk and cold.

That's my problem, even though it mild for November in the Lakes, 1000m of ascent, in the rain this morning, felt harder than double that in Italian sunshine. Mrs J says I should stop moaning and toughen up, which might lead intresting conversation the next time she brings up putting the heating on.

My other issue is punctures, none for either of us all summer and me on well worn tyres. Third in a fortnight today, even with newish winter tyres. It might be time to go tubeless. 

OP TobyA 19 Nov 2023
In reply to RobAJones:

I replaced my back tire like for like this summer because the old one was worn and was starting to leak a bit. I'm using tubeless, so it was no worse than having to stick a worm in and pump it back up. I had incredibly few punctures when I did use tubes but that was only because I used for years different types of schwalbe marathon plus tires. They are great in that respect, but they are very heavy and, compared to using modern tubeless tires, really rather uncomfortable. On my gravel bike that I do almost all of my miles on, I really don't regret going to tubeless at all. If you do have a problem it will tend to be quite a lot of hassle to sort out, but it's so rare that you do get a problem like that. I've only had a serious issue with one tire which I just think was a really badly designed or made one! 

Brass Nipples 19 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Just looked and my biking total this year is 12,830km.  I’m intrinsically motivated when it comes to cycling, targets and praise from others don’t matter.

Well done on hitting your target.

In reply to TobyA: Yes!  

nniff 19 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I'm pretty poor at setting targets - I tend just to pick a viable number towards the end of the year to motivate me to get out more as the weather turns.  I did have a good stat a few years ago when I substituted a local hilly loop 'ride to work from home' for my daily commute into and out of London.  My fairly diligent lap of Box Hill turned into 365,000 feet of ascent for the year - 'a thousand a day' has a nice ring to it, even if it was 1,500 feet not every day.

I'm now just under 500 miles from doing 50,000 Strava-recorded miles over 10 years.  That would be nice to finish by year end, but I won't I suspect.  Here you see Sentence One in full swing......

Post edited at 20:29
 Uluru 20 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Well done 

Thankfully I hit mine at the beginning of the month, 6500 miles before I hit the deck after my mate came off in front of me and I couldn't avoid him and went straight over the handlebars and broke my collarbone

I do a bit of commuting, cycling club cycling and the occasional Audax. I try to do at least one 100mile ride a month but that won't happen in November or December.

Like you my family say, why don't you just drive....

mbh 20 Nov 2023
In reply to nniff:

I totally get the attraction of having a target. In my 50s I managed to run 50 miles a week dozens of times, on one occasion for 6 months solid, over 2000 miles a year on 3 occasions, and only missed 15000 miles for the decade by a hundred or so miles. So many shoes I have pushed to over this or that number of miles (usually 700). I was never and still am not a great runner, but these miles mean that I spent many hours out and about, not only staying fitter than I would have been otherwise, but also that I was more attuned to the place I live in and more inclined to explore the places I visited. I really enjoy looking at my Strava heat map from time to time.

In reply to TobyA:

Well done TobyA

I've just realised that I have a slim chance of hitting 3,000 miles running by the end of the year.

It seemed very doable before the Mrs pointed out that I'm away for 10 days where running will be out of the question!

Must go, gotta run.......

Pids 21 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Nice one, always good to hit those self imposed arbitrary goals that we all set ourselves with!

(Ive got 190 miles left to hit my goal, sad person that I am I have been doing this for the last 13 years, it spurs me on to get out on the dreichest of days)

GrahamD 21 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

I'm not going to make the 1000km/month 'target' now but should manage 10,000km and 100,000m for the year which is OK.

nniff 24 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

405 for the 50,000 miles over ten years  now...

OP TobyA 24 Nov 2023
In reply to nniff:

Keep going dude! Nearly there! 💪🚵‍♂️

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...