UKC

European Championships

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wimlands 15 Aug 2022

Enjoyed watching the climbing on the BBC at the weekend. Thought Molly was a great commentator…

Caught the Women’s Bouldering final and it was great…mind you I reckon I probably picked up an injury simply watching them trying problem 4.

Post edited at 08:32
 I,despoiler 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Wimlands:

Where is the stream for the womens bouldering final? It seems to have been taken down everywhere, from YouTube to iplayer 

OP Wimlands 15 Aug 2022
In reply to I,despoiler:

Just checked iPlayer and they seem to have taken it down…which is a shame because it was a good final I thought.

In reply to I,despoiler:

On youtube they have day 4 replay which includes women's boulder final youtube.com/watch?v=NheTO419R7M&

Sean Kelly 16 Aug 2022
In reply to Wimlands:

They had men & women's speed climbing yesterday which is amazing to watch, unlike normal climbing which can seem so slow, almost stationary at times.

Stegosaur 16 Aug 2022
In reply to Sherlock:

When this link was posted it initially said they were looking into why it was unavailable. It has since been updated to say "Unfortunately, there was a serious technical issue with the stream which means we're unable to recover it and make it available. 

We know this is very disappointing. We apologise for the inconvenience caused."

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> They had men & women's speed climbing yesterday which is amazing to watch, unlike normal climbing which can seem so slow, almost stationary at times.

The first time you watch it, maybe. After that, it's just a bunch of people climbing exactly the same route using pretty much exactly the same beta, every competition. It's duller than dishwater.

Andy Hardy 16 Aug 2022
In reply to Stegosaur::

> The first time you watch it, maybe. After that, it's just a bunch of people climbing exactly the same route using pretty much exactly the same beta, every competition. It's duller than dishwater.

There was a huge queue to watch it so I guess for non climbers it's a good watch. Mind you they will pay to see runners doing 25 laps of the same track...

fred99 17 Aug 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Speaking as a former runner who did compete at the 10,000 metres on the track, I found maintaining my own concentration for 25 laps damn difficult. As for watching someone else do 25 laps - I'd regard that as a sentence for some form of criminality.

Iamgregp 17 Aug 2022
In reply to Sherlock:

Bloody hell, that's a right f**k up.

I'm pretty sure they could recover it, it's just not going to be in demand enough to justify the work they would need to do to sort it.

Babika 17 Aug 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I paid quite a lot of money for 2 nights of Athletics at the recent Commonwealth Games and it was brilliant! Saw the 5000m, not the 10000, and 12 laps of the track in 13 minutes were definitely not boring! 

It running there is overtaking, barging, tactical slowing and speeding. Not sure any of this happens in speed climbing. 

Many moons ago I went to watch a climbing World Championship live and really was bored. I'd far rather turn up at any busy crag and watch the action, faffing and all. 

In reply to Wimlands:

> Enjoyed watching the climbing on the BBC at the weekend. Thought Molly was a great commentator…

Agreed. Only criticism was her regular use of first names. Fine if you know the competitors. But suspect a lot of new folks wouldn't know that Yannick referred to Yannick Flohé given the scoreboard only uses surnames and he was four competitors ago...

Otherwise, flawless.

Jim Hamilton 18 Aug 2022
In reply to Babika:

Yes any track and field event for me over speed climbing.  It might have been enlivened, a bit, with a home nation win as with Andrea S-S’s brilliant last round gold in the diving.  

midgen 18 Aug 2022
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Speed climbing should be a track and field discipline imo, it's a vertical sprint race, and has very little to do with the sport of climbing. Apparently appeals to the athletics audience, but sends anyone that likes climbing into a coma.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...