UKC

Lamping... lamps. Any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Max BB 01 Oct 2021

Now that it's getting dark early I'm considering getting out in the dark with a lamp - does anyone have any suggestions for a good choice?

I have DeWalt power tools already so keen to get one of theirs so I can use the batteries, but a) they have a lot of choice so would be good to hear recommendations, and b) I'm open to other options if people have suggestions.

And yes, I plan on checking restrictions before doing this so as not to piss anyone off...

Alkis 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

I use a couple of Erbauer rechargable work lights and a headtorch:

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=Erbauer+LED+Rechargeable+Work+Light

I used to use those yellow LED spotlights people were recommending but I found that the diffuse illumination from these works much better.

deacondeacon 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Alkis:

Agreed. I've got the 40W Erbauer and it's significantly brighter and longer lasting than other lamps. Tbh it feels a little intrusive, it's like being on a film set!

timjones 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

Assuming that this activity does not involve lurchers  it may be a good idea to use a different name if it takes place in rural areas

PaulJepson 01 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

Has anyone had experience with the Makita ones at all? Similar to the OP I have some 18v Makita tools so using those batteries would be good.

SDM 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

To add a contrary view to Alkis' and deacondeacon's posts:

I have used both the Erbauer and the Diall yellow ones and think the Diall is much better.

It is brighter, the battery on my 4 year old Dialls last 2-3 times as long as the brand new Erbauer, it fits better in a bouldering mat for the walk-in, and it doesn't do the annoying on/off flashing thing that the Erbauer does when the battery starts to get low.

The Pylon King 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

Just use night vision goggles. Won't disturb the wildlife as much.

zb1 02 Oct 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I've got 2 makita dlm812 18v lxt lamps. The flood mode is pretty much like climbing during the day and the spot light can light up Westworld from banana fingers in Burbage valley. DON'T look directly at them. A 5ah battery lasts about 3.5/4 hours when the temperature is about freezing. Had some good lamp sessions last winter with 2 lamps opposite at about 45 Deg to the boulder (reduces strong shadows) and a head torch for topping out. Only complaint is they don't have a diffuser, I meant to grab some laminating pouches from work to pop over the lamp and see if it worked but kept forgetting. They are not cheap but I bought them for work, honest I did, so tax deductible and I have a load of 18v battery's for work anyway. If you are in the Peak and want to see them in action drop me a message.

Toccata 02 Oct 2021
In reply to timjones:

> Assuming that this activity does not involve lurchers  it may be a good idea to use a different name if it takes place in rural areas

And if it does we use Lightforce. Seven rabbits = 1 sheep.

TobyA 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

Last night I used my Cree quite-a-lot-lumens bike light when sport climbing. I got it from Aldi, on sale for about 20 quid. It worked surprisingly well on a route that must be 15 or 20 mtr high.

Myfyr Tomos 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

I've moved on from lamps and find this quite handy. Doesn't attract as much attention as big lights.

https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/night-vision/Night-Vision-Riflescopes/pulsar...

timjones 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Toccata:

> And if it does we use Lightforce. Seven rabbits = 1 sheep.

The problem is that the cheeky feckers think nothing of spooking cattle and horses into the next parish whilst trying to catch their 7 rabbits

Cobra_Head 04 Oct 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> I've moved on from lamps and find this quite handy. Doesn't attract as much attention as big lights.

I've found this to be much more compact and easy to use.

Toccata 04 Oct 2021
In reply to timjones:

Eh? I do it to help out on several farms when I'm asked.

OP Max BB 14 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

Thanks everyone, will check out those suggestions! 

Looking forward to getting chilly...

OP Max BB 14 Oct 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Is that for taking out boulderers rather than climbing boulders?

matthew jones 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

Was lucky enough to get an orienteering/biking head-torch from my sons for Christmas, the burn time is shorter than lamps etc., but it lights up the whole damn fellside man, I combined this balanced on sack with worklamp last winter and it worked well. I would imagine shining this bad boy into the face of my mates would fall sqaurely into the category of "pissing anyone off.."  

fuzzysheep01 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Max BB:

I've been pretty impressed with these - powerful and pretty sturdy for the price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0819WVXRV/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1?th=...

timjones 15 Oct 2021
In reply to Toccata:

> Eh? I do it to help out on several farms when I'm asked.

Unfortunately many of us suffer from the less caring sort of lamper who is not asked and does not bother to ask before wreaking havoc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...