UKC

Large bouldering pad and which car to get (not van)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

OK, so I somewhat foolishly got a Petzl Cirro bouldering pad without realising quite how big it was (don't). And it will soon be time for a new car...

I have an Octavia estate which is fine to carry 2 or 3 pads inc. the Cirro with one back seat down - the pad will not go in the boot with the seats all in use (2 kids seats).  Which leads to problems on family climbing trips.

So the question: are there any cars where the pad will go in the boot with 4 people comfortably in?

Wondering if it will go in a Skoda Superb boot or a Kodiaq?  thanks

ChrisBrooke 27 Jun 2023
In reply to S i'm on & on:

I love that the solution to the large mat problem is 'the car has got to go'. You Sir, are a true boulderer

FWIW I have a Superb estate and my Moon Saturn (bigger than that Petzl I think) has to go across the back seats despite the enormous boot. But then I've usually got two other smaller pads in the boot. At a push you can remove the rear head-rests and shove it in on top of the other two pads but it's quite uncomfortable for the kids, so that's only in emergencies.

deepsoup 27 Jun 2023

Silly question possibly but..  roof rack?

It's big but it weighs nowt - perhaps sandwich it between two sheets of ply when you strap it down onto roof bars to keep it from being unduly squashed by the straps and/or folded over in the wind?

galpinos 27 Jun 2023
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> At a push you can remove the rear head-rests and shove it in on top of the other two pads but it's quite uncomfortable for the kids

And you call Si a true boulderer! 

ChrisBrooke 27 Jun 2023
In reply to galpinos:

Hey, we've all got to make some sacrifices when daddy wants to go high-balling

I've got a Caddy Maxi. I appreciate it just slips into the van category but it's got 5 seats (7 but you can take the back ones out) and a huge boot. I've got 2 big pads, a German Shepherd and normally a mountain of crap in there! Drives like a car 

montyjohn 27 Jun 2023

Two car options spring to mind.

1. A convertible. Wedge it behind the seats. Gives you unlimited height. Leave the kids at home.

2. It has to be a Range Rover.

Ian W 27 Jun 2023

> OK, so I somewhat foolishly got a Petzl Cirro bouldering pad without realising quite how big it was (don't). And it will soon be time for a new car...

> I have an Octavia estate which is fine to carry 2 or 3 pads inc. the Cirro with one back seat down - the pad will not go in the boot with the seats all in use (2 kids seats).  Which leads to problems on family climbing trips.

> So the question: are there any cars where the pad will go in the boot with 4 people comfortably in?

> Wondering if it will go in a Skoda Superb boot or a Kodiaq?  thanks

Despite the thread title, you are well down the road to a VeeDub boulderers special - once you've outgrown an octavia estate, there is only one option......resistance is futile.

Charlie Noakes 27 Jun 2023

Considered a pickup? Our company currently has two for their site capabilities, but 80% of the time they are used as normal family cars. MPG is the obvious drawback.

mutt 27 Jun 2023

How about changing your discipline too.  Full Trad rack, three 60m ropes in a Ford ka with still room for the kids and a climbing partner

FactorXXX 27 Jun 2023
In reply to galpinos:

> And you call Si a true boulderer! 

A proper true boulderer would get rid of the kids.

In reply to galpinos:

My solution. I have a flubbers underneath, Snap Wham on that which goes between the wheel arches in the book. It's a beautiful thing. Organic big pad on top with head rests removed. Pad works as head rests. Honestly. Is beautiful. Onto my second Volvo with that set up.

afx22 27 Jun 2023

Skoda Yeti?

mountainbagger 27 Jun 2023

If you're not sure about the Superb, take your pad to a dealer and try it out! The boot is bigger than the Octavia as you know. Also, not sure about Octavia's (and how old yours is), but on my Superb the floor of the boot is false and can be lowered for even more space.

Ciro 27 Jun 2023

Trawl Autotrader for a classic old school Volvo estate.

DamonRoberts 27 Jun 2023

My Ocun Paddy Dominator and a Psychi triple fold fit in the boot of a 2011 Mondeo estate, with enough space for four people plus stuff for a week away. Nice cars, cheapish and reliable with lots of toys in titanium X spec. 

My Porsche Boxster cannot fit a pad in, I've tried all sorts of arrangements with my Snap Bun. The 924 I had previously could fit a pretty big pad in the boot and had 4 seats (only two seatbelts though). 

Michael Hood 27 Jun 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

> If you're not sure about the Superb, take your pad to a dealer and try it out!

This, I've only got the one pad but I've done it at VW to check it fitted in a Sirocco (many years ago) and then at Fords Of Winsford on several different cars as it really gave me a great indication of boot size when buying my current car.

Would be even more amusing for bystanders with multiple pads 😁

midgen 28 Jun 2023

My Toyota Alphard will take an unfolded Snap Grand Wham with a bit of persuasion. Granted it's converted. Will also fit 5 people plus all their winter climbing gear. 

The practicality of electric sliding doors both sides just trumps any estate in my view!

scott titt 29 Jun 2023

I could get two alpkit phud mats and a couple of rucksacks in the boot of my Mazda 6 saloon, so I reckon a Mazda 6 estate would do the job, and get you there quickly!

gravy 29 Jun 2023

Get a roof box and put the kids in it.  As a bonus you also get a more peaceful journey.

teapot 29 Jun 2023

I used to have a Mondeo (non estate) and my Moon Saturn fit in that boot, but did not leave much room for anything else. 

Keith C 29 Jun 2023

I've got a Ciro and a Tiguan allspace. It does fit in the back with kids  car seats in but only by sliding the seats forward and that makes the seats not really usable. So if your wanting family trips for 4 think your going to find this and the kodiaq too small 

Durbs 30 Jun 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

> If you're not sure about the Superb, take your pad to a dealer and try it out! 

The equivalent of taking your golf clubs to the Porsche dealership - love it!

We have a Peugot 5008, which is a decent size family SUV - even that boot doesn't easily accommodate a Moon Saturn - roof bars are your friend. 

Or a pickup truck if you a) can afford the fuel and b) hate the environment.

mickyv33 30 Jun 2023

I think my experience has been that newer cars have more crumple, protection in the body. 

So you get more boot-space for the same footprint if you get an older car. 

Older Volvo V70s are what I've been looking at for my Astra Estate's replacement. 

Nick1812P 30 Jun 2023

google image search "car name" + "internal boot dimensions" and review?

If you want it to fit length ways across the width of the car your best bet is one of the van-derived cars, Berlingo, Doblo, Tourneo connect, Caddy life etc. as they're all desgined to carry a euro pallet in their van form so have 1200mm min between the arches. All the passenger versions are cars not vans so aren't subject to commerical vehicle clean air charges but might be charged on age.

Nothing is likely to beat the Octavia for combination of practicality and MPG though.

I'd look in to a custom sized roof box to take the pad (or 2 pads) when opened out, so it can just be transferred between cars in the future and easily removed when not required.

Or some form of towbar mounted box/rack to reduce drag/wind noise from roof box, but then it needs to be folded so shouldn't be kept in there long term.

In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks all, some good suggestions.  Looks like I need to be heading to a car showroom and amusing people.  All the google info I can find just mentions litres, or the odd random image with a comedy arrow and a dimension that doesn't really inspire confidence.  Caddy Maxi looks like a possible option but I'm intrigued to know if a big pad will go in, across the boot with 5 seats in? 

Friends have a Yeti and that is a case of taking the middle seat out and shoving the pad down the middle lengthways which is pretty antisocial (albeit with kids sometimes this is a good thing!)

Whilst my son would love the idea of a convertible or range rover, I don't think this would get past the family bursar ;-D 

In reply to mutt:

I don't pigeon hole myself to one aspect of one sport. Some see that as a downgrade, others a rich tapestry.

And I definitely don't want a Ford Ka, thanks tho.

I've got 2 of the big Flashed pads (Big Squishy) and they fit in with dog an 5 people in the seats with no lack of comfort!

Happy to send video evidence if required 😂😂

mutt 01 Jul 2023

> I don't pigeon hole myself to one aspect of one sport. Some see that as a downgrade, others a rich tapestry.

> And I definitely don't want a Ford Ka, thanks tho.

I guess the dilemma here is that our toys don't am always fit in our cars. I boulder too and I mountain bike and I sail and I paddle board. Yes of course I'd like to take all my toys with my but taking that requirement to the car show room will delight the salesman and I'll come back home with a SUV estate or max plus people carrier. But then every journey I take will be an absolute pain in the backside.every parking space will be too small and every cyclist will get in the way.

So I've get myself a car that I can get two bouldering mats in and no children, or children and walking stuff or climbing gear. This works for me. I have one child who wants to climb with me. We can get everything we need for a great day in.

Works for me anyway. 

Strife 07 Jul 2023
In reply to DamonRoberts:

+1 for the 2011 mondeo estate. Outrageous amount of room in the boot. And with the seats folded you can open up the pads and sleep in it very comfortably too.

probablylost 07 Jul 2023

Moon Saturn is (I think) a bigger pad and fits in a Berlingo/Partner boot with the seats up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...