UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr west 02 Oct 2021

Hi all 

I’m Alek .a new member to the forum , live in Bedfordshire. Mostly climb at big rock MK. 

anyone know of any bouldering spots outside in Bedfordshire? 

thanks 

McHeath 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Mr west:

Hi Alek, and welcome! Don't live in Bedfordshire myself, but there's a search function here which could help you. I had a quick look and it doesn't sound like there's much; this old thread mentions a stone bridge in Bromham:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/walls+training/climb_in_bedford-122468

Otherwise there's the UKBouldering.com site, people on there should know more. Good luck! 

Post edited at 09:03
OP Mr west 02 Oct 2021
In reply to McHeath:

Hi McHeath, thanks for getting back. Yeah it’s all a bit flat and Sandy round here but wondering if there is a little known lump of rock hiding lol. 
thanks for the links , I’ll take a look 

Trangia 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Mr west:

Welcome to the forum. Yup, Bedfordshire is a bit flat. You've really got to go further north to the Peak or across the Midlands to Shropshire and then Wales before you find any decent rock. I used to live in Buckinghamshire, so understand how frustrating it is!

Maggot 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Mr west:

I've just searched 'Bedfordshire quarries'.

You've got a plethora of esoteric gems there! Stone railway bridges etc are worth wasting your time on as well.

OP Mr west 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

Hi 

yeah I have just come back from two weeks in Wales and Done some outside bouldering for the first time, somewhat different to plastic lol

OP Mr west 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Maggot:

we have a couple of quarry’s local to me but are pure sand , breath too heavy on it and it crumbles lol. 
i’ll see what bridges are about… 

SDM 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Mr west:

There isn't anywhere to boulder outside near Bedford/Milton Keynes except on manmade structures in desperation. You have to travel for anything decent.

There's bridges in Bromham, Clifton Reynes and Wolverton that people have climbed on but they're a bit dusty and tend to feature loose rock and mediocre climbing (and the Clifton Reynes bridge has a landowner who isn't at all keen on people climbing there). I used to live a 1 mile walk from Clifton Reynes and still never used to climb there.

There is also a slate statue in Campbell Park Gnomon, Milton Keynes which can be entertaining for a visit on a sunny evening but you wouldn't climb on it if there were any decent options and you're probably better off just staying indoors and climbing at Big Rock.

I've heard rumours of some rocks in the woods behind the play park in Emberton park. But if there was anything any good there, I would have heard more about it.

The closest worthwhile places to boulder outside are Leicestershire (about an hour North) and the Peak District/Churnet/Eastern limestone (about 1.5-2 hours North).

Leicestershire has Forest Rock which is great for overhanging burly bouldering at 7A (V6) and above. There isn't much that's easier than that though. Or there's  Cademan Wood and Broad Hill which has more easier things. Cademan has a few good quality problems but the average quality is poor; there's a lot of eliminate, lowball problems there and the rock can be very sharp. Cademan is worth visiting once or twice if you don't have time to go to the Peak District but you're generally better off keeping on driving until you get to the Peak.

Day trips or weekend trips to the Peak District and other further afield destinations are your best option. There's enough good quality bouldering in the Peak District at all grades to last a lifetime.

OP Mr west 02 Oct 2021
In reply to SDM:

thanks for all the friendly helpful advice everyone. 
I guess it’s indoors and the odd weekend away when I can.. 

Big Steve 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Mr west:

I spent most of my life in south Bedfordshire, nothing there worth bothering with, believe me I tried just about everywhere. Dont even think about Finedon Slabs! As has already been mentioned, the Leicestershire crags are the best bet, not too far away. I spent many happy hours at Markfield and Granitethorpe. Not sue access is like these days, but they are definitely worth a few visits

Graeme Hammond 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Mr west:

There is a function on the website to find crags near (you or lack of) as previously mentioned the Peak is going to probably be the best closest rock however there are some stuff in Leicestershire.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/

SDM 02 Oct 2021
In reply to Big Steve:

Yes, Markfield, Bardon Hill, Altar Stones, Oaks Pinnacle and Morley Quarry are all worth adding to the list for aficionados of Leicestershire esoterica.

https://www.leicestershirebouldering.co.uk/

Post edited at 11:40
OP Mr west 03 Oct 2021
In reply to SDM:

if I do stumble across anything while out walking I’ll be sure to let people on here know 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...