UKC

Permadry Bouldering for the Wet Weekend?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Got a long weekend and desperate to get outside! Does any permadry bouldering exist in the UK/Wales? I'm imagining caves and monster roofs but I might be being naive... Based in West Yorkshire but more than happy to travel for a fix. 

Andy Hardy 22 Nov 2019
In reply to MikeSilverstone:

Parisella's Cave

Don't know if it seeps (or more accurately, how badly it seeps)

In reply to Andy Hardy:

Parisella's looks ideal - do wonder about seepage though, we tried Anston Stone's last Sunday to find everything sopping! 

Anyone else had experience?

webbo 22 Nov 2019

Parisella’s gets wet with condensation as well as some seepage.

I think there might be a Parisella’s conditions thread on UKBouldering.

sxrxg 22 Nov 2019

New Mills Torrs - Under a bridge so stays dry on one part

Parisella's Cave - Seeps and also can condense out if the temperature rises quickly so not always climbable. 

Carreg Hyll-Drem - Very overhanging. Often can get something done when raining. 

Raven Tor (Miller's Dale) - Often some bouldering available even when raining due to the overhanging nature of the crag. 

Back Bowden Doors - Often some bouldering available under the big roofs. Be careful though as sandstone and has the potential to snap if it is damp. 

Woodhouse Scar - Angel face is pretty much perma dry and good for eliminates. 

In reply to sxrxg:

Hero. Sounds like North Wales is a good bet. Concerned about the talk on UKB about 'smeggy conditions' in Parisella's, but it looks absolutely awesome. Will just have to check it out. 

AMorris 22 Nov 2019
In reply to sxrxg:

He is traveling from Yorkshire and you suggest Hyll-Drem... what are you trying to do to the poor lad!

In reply to AMorris:

Ha, why is Hyll-Drem a bad shout?

Offwidth 22 Nov 2019
In reply to sxrxg:

Angel Face is far from perma-dry, I should know as I co-authored the YMC guide pages. It can stay dry during rain for some wind directions, but not for moderate prevailing SW/ W winds.  Woodhouse Scar is really good venue for winter as it's surprisingly low altitude but, on a WSW facing scarp edge, is well exposed to most wind and quite sunny,  and as a bonus the scroats tend to stay away when its cold.

Post edited at 15:16
 Iamgregp 22 Nov 2019

Does the Bowderstone stay dry on the super overhanging sides?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...