UKC

Craigmaddie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brendan 06 Mar 2021

The farmer came over for a chat yesterday when I was climbing at Craigmaddie. The crag has become really popular during lockdown and, as it is lambing season, he asked that people stick close to the fence as they are walking over the fields in order to avoid scaring the sheep. He is a bit concerned about his wall being damaged by folk climbing over it and said he might put in a stile.

He said he's happy for folk to climb there and was really good about it. It would be a shame if there were to become access problems so please pass on the message - don't scare the sheep and look after the wall.

AlH 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Brendan:

Could be worth letting Mountaineering Scotland know so they can publicise widely and get ahead of any problems?

OP Brendan 06 Mar 2021
In reply to AlH:

That's a good shout, thanks. I'll do that today.

Bob Kemp 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Brendan:

Are there any bodies up there that might give him a bung towards the cost of a stile? 

OP Brendan 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

I'd be happy to pay. I'll ask him about the cost next time I see him.

Smelly Fox 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Brendan:

Yeah me too, and I’m sure others would be glad to help.
We are up there a lot with the kids, lovely place.

Bob Kemp 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Smelly Fox:

I wish I’d known about it when I lived up there- sounds really useful for anyone in Glasgow. 

Wicamoi 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Brendan:

Thanks for posting. I met you at Craigmaddie once I think. I'm also happy to contribute to the Craigmaddie Stile Fund. Please PM me if it gets to that stage.

kwoods 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Brendan:

Likewise on donations from me. Great crag. It's the closest one to my parents. Made a note to get this info reflected in upcoming Lowland Outcrops, cheers Brendan.

kwoods 07 Mar 2021

In reply to Cocoabutter:

I'm not much one for getting into access discussions online, though it comes to mind that the area surrounding Craigmaddie is presently very busy with many users of the countryside. Lockdown has much to do with it: runners, walkers, families - and of course boulderers. Clearly all should follow the outdoor access code when on the land. But when it comes to parking in laybys I'd suggest that climbers are in a minority. It's a popular area. 

Going by the walkers I've spoken to, the Auld Wives Lifts (particularly) attract much attention. Many folk will pass the crags on their way there.

Anyway, just thoughts. It's a great place.

Post edited at 02:01
 Dave McL 07 Mar 2021
In reply to kwoods:

I was climbing there about this time last year, just before the lockdown. Three lads turned up with a bouldering mat and a dog off the lead. While walking over the fields to the crag, the sheep were inquisitive and came towards them, the lads seemed to become concerned by this so they encouraged the dog to chase the sheep away. So 5-min later the farmer comes along to the crag, the dog is still off the lead, the dog was old and looked like it wouldn't hurt a fly but that's not the point. The farmer pointed out that it was lambing season, the lads pointed out that the sheep had come towards them. The famer told them to get the dog on a lead, they couldn't understand why this was necessary. The famer told them the dog could be shot, the lads replied that he could be shot.

These were climbers. Unfortunately a number of us need educated too.

Osiris 07 Mar 2021

In reply to Cocoabutter:

A landowner who doesn't like people on his land? What a pity! I'm so sick of landowners making access difficult for climbers without reason. No sympathy for the landed gentry (of course not them all) and their abhorrent sense of entitlement. The farmer on the otherhand, I can completely understand his point of view. A sign would work better than any mention online...

Post edited at 12:08
 Cocoabutter 07 Mar 2021

Yeah my friend had a run in with him yesterday and he was giving off about climbers being irresponsible apparently. I don't think the landowner has ever mentioned it online though. I just thought it was relevant to the the subject because I doubt it is the last time people climbing at craigmaddie will be interacting with him.

Neil Morrison 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Cocoabutter:Nah, you’re just stirring it

kwoods 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Neil Morrison:

I thought the same.

Cocoabutter 07 Mar 2021
In reply to Neil Morrison:

I genuinely don't know what you mean. Do you think I am lying or shouldn't have shared the info here?

clampton 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Brendan:

The farmer has asked that people approach around the side of the field. I'm going to get the exact detail confirmed and will post them on the crag page soon. If you are taking your dog to the crag please keep it on a lead. It's worth reminding people to avoid climbing at Craigmaddie for 48hrs after rain, check out the erosion at the Sheep Pen if you don't think the rock will get damaged!

OP Brendan 10 Mar 2021
In reply to clampton:

Nice one, thanks.

Reading through the comments, I think there might be a bit of confusion. The farmer who owns the field the sheep are in doesn't own the land the crags are on - they're separate folk. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...