UKC

Biographies yet to be written

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Following on from the Joe Brown biography thread, are there any biogs that you would like to see being written?

I have two, firstly JW Puttrell from the early days in the Peak. There was a self published book based on his journals but by no means an insight into the person. The trail may be too cold to unearth on this one.

Secondly please would someone document the adventures of Pat Littlejohn, I hear that he is a very modest person who would probably not write his own story but as such an influence on modern climbing his contribution needs to be written about.

Lankyman 25 Mar 2023
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Not seen anything about Charlton Chestwig yet

Pedro50 25 Mar 2023

The Bonington years are very well documented but I've often thought Pete Boardman could deserve a biog. It would obviously be subtitled "The Shining Mountaineer" I met him a few times we were both alumni of the NUMC. His early writings in the NUMC journal are worth reading.

Lankyman 26 Mar 2023

Has anyone written a biography of Pete Livesey? Apart from his climbing there's his caving, canoeing and running to consider. He was controversial and influential enough for it to actually be an entertaining read as well.

Pedro50 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, John Sheard and Mark Radke, very elusive to obtain sadly.

Rob Parsons 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> Has anyone written a biography of Pete Livesey? Apart from his climbing there's his caving, canoeing and running to consider. He was controversial and influential enough for it to actually be an entertaining read as well.

'Fast and Free' got published a few year years ago - for a review, see http://footlesscrow.blogspot.com/2014/05/fast-and-free-pete-liveseyreview.h...

alan moore 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> Yes, John Sheard and Mark Radke, very elusive to obtain sadly.

Never managed to get hold of this. Livesey's own writing was brilliant as well.

Mick Ward 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

My understanding is that someone spent many years chronicling the 'different Petes', i.e. climber, caver, paddler, runner, orienteer... and got lost in it all. Then got pipped by the Radke book, which, as I understand (haven't read it), is a collection of essays about Pete the climber. 

Good effort if so. Pete changed climbing forever. But Pete the climber was only one of his many personae. And underneath the many personae lay Pete the person. For whom we're still searching. 

Mick

Andy Clarke 26 Mar 2023

Does anyone know of a biography of Jack Longland? He would be top of my list. Both intellectually and physically gifted, he was a cutting edge rock climber: Javelin Blade (E1 5b)must be a contender for first E1. He was also a distinguished mountaineer, being a member of the 1933 Everest expedition. But what makes him a particular hero of mine is his pioneering work as a progressive educator, driven by a fierce belief in equality of opportunity.  As Director of Education for Derbyshire he opened the first outdoor pursuits centre. Towards the end of his life he memorably expressed his dismay at watching the forces of conservatism attempting to destroy his work. 

Doug 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

The Pete Livesey book is a collection of maybe 40 (not counted) pieces by various friends plus some (maybe all?) of articles written by Pete him self. Although most are about climbing there are also articles on caving, running & orienteering. You've probably already read many of the chapters but worth tracking down a copy.

Lankyman 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Mick Ward:

I only met Pete Livesey a few times when he ran ML courses at Buckden Lodge in the nineties and once at the crag. I recall a friend of mine in the eighties who was astonished to learn from me that Pete had been one of the best climbers in the country. She had only known him as a skinny lecturer running courses at Ilkley College.

Pedro50 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

He once tried to hide some burnt toast under my mate's baked beans at his Malham cafe. A true polymath, "the Michalangelo of British rock" 

Linda Orritt 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

I know John Sheard. Want any help? 

Pedro50 26 Mar 2023
In reply to Linda Orritt:

> I know John Sheard. Want any help? 

No I'm good thanks Linda. You could ask him how many were produced or whether they'll be a reprint. 

Regards Peter 

aln 27 Mar 2023

Mark E Smith 

Myfyr Tomos 27 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Elusive indeed, and very expensive if found! I'm sure it'd be very good read.

Greenbanks 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

The “Michelangelo of British rock” was a sobriquet more frequently reserved for Dave Knighton I believe.

Greenbanks 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

Or, on reflection, that might just have been ‘Lancashire rock’…

BlownAway 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

> The “Michelangelo of British rock” was a sobriquet more frequently reserved for Dave Knighton I believe.

What makes you say that?

Lankyman 28 Mar 2023
In reply to BlownAway:

> What makes you say that?

Yes, I was wondering too. I was getting into climbing at about the same time Dave was very active on the Lancashire scene. One of my caving buddies knew him when he worked at Lancaster Uni (I think) and I don't recall any controversy surrounding him.

Greenbanks 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

It wasn’t a controversy. I seem to recollect, in the Lancaster and South Lakes stamping ground that I then bestrode, DK was sometimes referred to in those terms. It was more an expression of admiration and jealousy of his good looks and overall style. But maybe I am romanticising that period amidst the slow burn that is an apology  my own climbing chronology. 😀

Rob Parsons 28 Mar 2023
In reply to Greenbanks:

> It wasn’t a controversy. I seem to recollect, in the Lancaster and South Lakes stamping ground that I then bestrode, DK was sometimes referred to in those terms. It was more an expression of admiration and jealousy of his good looks and overall style. But maybe I am romanticising that period amidst the slow burn that is an apology  my own climbing chronology. 😀

When I read the quote above, I had assumed that it referred to a propensity for chipping!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...