UKC

King Crimson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 08 Nov 2018

There latest incarnation is playing live in Edinburgh next Tuesday. 

In reply to aln:

I’d give anything to see the incarnation of Fripp, Wetton and Bruford play Larks Tongues in Aspic and Red....

OP aln 08 Nov 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Classic. He has 3 drummers this time. I've seen The Fall with two drummers, never seen a rock band with 3

In reply to aln:

A friend of mine saw them at in Manchester this evening. I await reports.

T.

OP aln 08 Nov 2018
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Ooh ... Please share reports.

In reply to aln:

When I get them, happily.

T.

In reply to aln:

Go and see them. I saw the show 2 years ago and it was amazing.

felt 09 Nov 2018
In reply to aln:

Lucky you!

I saw the Discipline line-up in the early 80s in London, Fripp on Roland guitar synth, Adrian Belew from Talking Heads on guitar and vocals, Tony Levin on stick bass, and Bruford. Sounds the like of which I'd never thought could issue from guitar and bass, Mind-blowing, visionary stuff, quite literally.

vimeo.com/278601998

OP aln 09 Nov 2018
In reply to felt:

Lucky you too! I love the stuff they were doing in the Discipline period, I'd love to have seen them live during that time.

graeme jackson 09 Nov 2018
In reply to aln:

> There latest incarnation is playing live in Edinburgh next Tuesday. 

saw them a couple of years ago at the usher hall.  Will be on the balcony at the playhouse on tuesday.

deepstar 09 Nov 2018
In reply to aln:

I saw them in Hyde Park in July 1969, a superb performance. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed on the Moon a few weeks later, a memorable month.

OP aln 09 Nov 2018
In reply to graeme jackson:

Nice one. Do you know if there's tickets left?

In reply to felt:

I’ve got the Belew albums post- Three of a Perfect Pair, and saw them on the Discipine tour, but find the technical noodling pretty well unlistenable these days. I think Fripp’s focus got diluted by Chapman Sticks, double trios and Belew unfortunately. I’d still pay to see Fripp and Dr Bruford play though.

Tringa 10 Nov 2018
In reply to aln:

I only know them from when I bought 'In the Court fo the Crimson King'. If they never did anything else than 21st Century Schizoid Man, they can IMO, rest happy.

Dave

felt 10 Nov 2018
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

To be honest, I haven't listened to the album since it was released, but this inspired me to hear it once again, albeit on my laptop's tinny speakers. And I still think it works very well indeed: the intertwining guitars picking out brutally accurate minimalistic patterns, the searing guitar synths swelling in and out, the volcanic bass rumbles and Bruford clattering on and on in the background. The only bum note, if there is one, is the vocals, but I can tolerate and even enjoy these, especially when he's being lyrical rather than didactic. That said, Discipline was the only album that this line-up produced that I liked. For whatever reason, the other one -- or two? -- weren't nearly as good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...