UKC

Popular authors you don't hear about anymore

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 24 Aug 2018

Perusing my bookshelves I realised that you don't seem to hear much about Michael Moorcock anymore. He was hugely prolific and popular in my youth. I loved the Elric series, Dancers at the End of time, the Jerry Cornelius novels and "Behold the Man" is a favourite book from my late teens. However later books seemed to trail off into self-referential navel gazing. It was pulp sci-fi but entertaining pulp sci-fi.

In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I read a fair few of his books as a teenager.  I have always liked a brief piece in a booklet included with Hawkwind's 'In Search Of Space' LP (just the original issue, not the re-issues; though the content of the booklet is included in the insert with the CD I have, it's in very small print) which begins 'He sat in the dsrk and there was no-one else', which I assumed was Michael Moorcock's work.

I should imagine he's getting on a bit now, assuming he's still with us.  Very influential chap.

T.

Offwidth 24 Aug 2018

Moorcock was ridiculously proplific and his best work was very highly praised by some major critics:  Mother London, The Cornelius novels and the Between the Wars novels. I've liked almost everything he wrote, from the pulp fantasy to the literary. In particular Gloriana was a wonderful tribute to Peake (and major award winner) and a must for anyone who enjoyed the Gormenghast novels.  The Whispering Swarm, 2015, shows he is still on form.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moorcock

As Pursued said, he did work with Hawkwind.

Post edited at 17:44
 felt 24 Aug 2018

As a great Ballard fan, and something of a warrior on the edge of time myself, it always gave me a certain frisson to think of the fastidious sage of Shepperton linked to Hawkwind through his great friendship with Moorcock. I liked the Elric books, got a bit bemused by Jerry Cornelius and gave up post-Gloriana. 

A female equivalent might be Angela Carter, big in the 70s-90s, not heard of much these days.

OP Duncan Bourne 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Gloriana is great (must read it again). Interesting take on John Dee and Elizabeth

Offwidth 24 Aug 2018

I think its one of the best fantasy novels I've read...,not our Elizabeth I but one from omewhere else in his multiverse of course:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloriana_(novel)

Post edited at 17:53
 Bob Kemp 24 Aug 2018

Moorcock's books are always cropping up in my local Oxfam bookshop. They tend to be dumped in large quantities at once, so I can't ignore him! There was a piece about him in the Guardian the other year - he had a semi-autobiographical novel out. 

Otherwise, I suppose it depends how far you want to go back. Thinking about the things  that were on the bookshelves of my parents' generation, there's all those writers of what would now be called airport books: Neville Shute, Harold Robbins, Henry Miller, Leon Uris, Len Deighton... but I'm not sure if you're interested in dead people? Are you just thinking about authors who are still alive but disappeared? 

OP Duncan Bourne 24 Aug 2018
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Pretty much live authors. But a few dead ones are good too.

It is interesting how some authors persist down the years like Tolkien, Dickens, Austin, etc. While others vanish.

mbh 24 Aug 2018

This week, I am staying at my mother's house. She's 82 and has always been a great reader of fiction.

Looking along her shelves, I see many authors that punctuated my early reading days, who are less heard of now.

I mean for example Elizabeth Jane Bowen, Barbara Pym, Susan Hill, Penelope Lively, Edna O'Brien, and Jenni Diski and William Trevor, plus others who still seem popular, such as Anne Tyler and Pat Barker.

Tom Last 24 Aug 2018

Redmond O’Hanlon - great naturalist/travel writer.

Not sure what happened to him. 

full stottie 25 Aug 2018

Like you I first came across Moorcock with the Elric series, and much later the Pyat Quartet, which was a million miles away from his early SF work, and totally absorbing.

Dennis Wheatley - another author who was very popular and productive up to the 1960's (thrillers and occult) - he and his books are pretty much passe. 

In the world of SF, Piers Anthony is still alive but you don't hear much of his work these days.

Must be our age?

Dave

Offwidth 25 Aug 2018
In reply to full stottie:

Not read any Piers Anthony... any recommendations for a starter novel? 

I ended up defending pulp Sc-iFi and Fantasy at my college interview (ie as intelligently written escapism) when I expected tricky questions in Physics.

full stottie 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Incarnations of Immortality is an 8 book series and was my first outing with Piers Anthony, and is as good a place as any to give him a go. Should be possible to track used copies fairly cheaply? Maybe!

I assume you were accepted on the basis of your arguments!

Dave

Offwidth 25 Aug 2018

Yes... another reason I have a soft spot for Moorcock and co. 

Cheers for the tip.

Post edited at 12:01
 oldie 25 Aug 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

> Not read any Piers Anthony... any recommendations for a starter novel? <

Prostho Plus (kidnapped earth dentist inventively treats various aliens eg explosive for leviathan tooth decay), Should be on every dentist's bookshelf (unlike Goldman's Marathon Man).

Triple Detente (planets needing politically unacceptable solutions to major problems pretend they have been conquered by aliens but actually swap governments so these can take drastic and tyrannical  remedial action).

Dauphin 26 Aug 2018
In reply to Offwidth:

Macroscope.

Plot and tech has been plundered for a couple of big Hollywood sci-fi hits. 

Can't abide his fantasy stuff - very poor- get the feeling it may have been ghost written.

D

Blue Straggler 28 Aug 2018

Orson Scott Card

Rob Exile Ward 28 Aug 2018

A few authors I keep coming back to - H E Bates, Neville Shute (very un-PC even for his day, so perhaps understandable  - but powerful stuff) and C S Forester, whose 'Death to the French' is a vastly superior template for any of the Sharpe series. He also wrote a book of short stories about Nazi Germany that haunt me to this day.

OP Duncan Bourne 28 Aug 2018

Good lord Dennis Wheatley. He was my gateway drug into the occult when I were a lad (Which I am sure wasn't his intent or that of my father, who put me onto him). Proper Hammer horror stuff which I loved as a teenage kid. I wouldn't regard him as high fiction now though

pasbury 28 Aug 2018

Tom Robbins - loved Jitterbug Perfume and several others.

But then he is 86!

OP Duncan Bourne 28 Aug 2018
In reply to pasbury:

Me too. Great book

MonkeyPuzzle 28 Aug 2018

George R. R. Martin has been quiet for a while.

Bulls Crack 29 Aug 2018

> Pretty much live authors. But a few dead ones are good too.

> It is interesting how some authors persist down the years like Tolkien, Dickens, Austin, etc. While others vanish.

Tolkein is marmite but Dickens and Austen persist because they are amongst the very best novelists of all time. 

OP Duncan Bourne 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Bulls Crack:

While I wouldn't dispute that Dickens and Austin are among the best novelists. They persist because they had universal appeal and in some way open a window on the times in which they were set. Dickens was a great social reformer who commented on the lives of the ordinary people of his day, similarly Austen deals with romance and the social mores of her time. In a way they are also marmite because i know people don't like either authors. Also there were many other novelists now forgotten but who were highly praised at their time.

DerwentDiluted 30 Aug 2018

PG Wodehouse, easily eclipsed in popular culture by his creation, and in that vein Tom Sharpe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...