UKC

1930/40's (?) Climbing photo, Any idea of location?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Slarti B 21 Oct 2023

Hi, My wife found a climbing photo in he late mother's files.  It looks like North Wales or Lake District, can anyone identify the climb?

It looks 1930/1940's to me but I could be wrong 

Post edited at 15:27

nigel n 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Milestone buttress on Tryfan

james mann 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

I think that this is in Cwm Idwal and is one of the routes on the slabs. It might also be on the milestone butress but can't remember if Llyn Ogwen can be seen from there. I'm sure that someone with a more recent recollection will be along with a more exact answer. 

James

Ian Parsons 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

I think Nigel has it. Although it's difficult to work out exactly which feature is which on the rock - the background, presumably showing the top [east] end of Llyn Ogwen with a stream running into it, seems to fit with this:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/tryfan-491/direct_route-5739#photo...

Edit: I hoped that would link straight to a photo; it's the first one in the gallery.

Post edited at 15:59
 broken spectre 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Enjoyed trying to find a match for that, thought it could have been Tennis Shoe but I bow to Nigel and Ian, everything seems to line up more with the Milestone Buttress suggestion 

S11 21 Oct 2023
In reply to broken spectre:

Lovely photo, I'm certain it's Milestone Buttress as well, the rock structure gives it away as well as the background.

ExiledScot 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Maybe pulpit route, if someone was in the descent gully with the camera.

If you go there those feature in the wall facing the camera could be easily located somewhere there. 

Post edited at 19:20
 Sean Kelly 21 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

I agree with others, certainly the Milestone Buttress. Its not that far from the start. Llyn Ogwen behind the climber.

Post edited at 19:25
 CantClimbTom 21 Oct 2023
In reply to nigel n:

Absolutely, immediately recognisable!

I even recognise the very spot on Direct Route (Milestone Buttress). It's a great easy route, probably even easier when pic was taken as it wouldn't be polished scoops at the starting crack.

Got my Dad up it once, many years ago. Tried to repeat that 4 years ago but he changed his mind standing at the bottom and spent ages humming and hah-ing and dithering about whether it was really a good idea then it started to rain. Sadly he's no longer fit enough now, so won't be standing in that spot with my Dad below me again

OP Slarti B 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Many thanks for all the replies, I will look for this next time I am in North Wales. 

Now I just need to identify the climber!

pwo 22 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Most definitely Milestone Buttress (Direct route). The run out suggests the climber is doing the Super Direct variant (VS) and he is on the easy Difficult section leading up to wide ledge before gaining the wide crack leading to the the chest level traverse to the left of the Bivalve. He looks like Colin Kirkus. But others more knowledgeable than me may correct my impression.

In reply to pwo:

I don’t think, looking at various photos, that it’s Kirkus. More likely to be someone like John Barford.

pwo 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

I think I was hoping it was Kirkus! Could also be Selby Walmsley? Whoever it is, great respect for their prowess. I doubt there are many ‘trad’ climbers out there who’d lead like that.

pwo 23 Oct 2023

Snap….

I was climbing there mid 60’s onwards. Similar style as well! In all likelihood we may have crossed paths at some point. I’m surprised I survived it all……

Sean Kelly 23 Oct 2023
In reply to Slarti B:

Possibly Ivan Waller?

profitofdoom 23 Oct 2023

> This is how John and I were leading in the late 60s, with hemp waistline and just a few slings......> Both 1969.

You had slings?? In 1969 my brother and I were on Lliwedd - I wonder it could even be the same day - with just a rope, doing 100-foot runouts with no runners. We had a sling to belay with

We were invincible ha ha ha

In reply to profitofdoom:

No, Holly Tree Wall is above the Idwal Slabs. Ashamed to say?, I never climbed on Lliwedd ... The slings we had were two made out of cable-laid nylon rope (no 3 and no4 in diameter), tied with fishermans' knots, and three or four nylon tape slings (1" wide, pale purple) tied with tape knots, which had a habit of falling apart so had to be continually re-tightened. We also had at least one MOAC nut on perlon rope right from the beginning, then four hexagon nuts of different sizes.

Post edited at 18:09
 profitofdoom 23 Oct 2023

Lliwedd was great, what a location. And climbs

Soon after that our Mum sent us to Plas y Brenin to do mountain then rock climbing courses, that was so great

Andy Long 24 Oct 2023
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Possibly Ivan Waller?

Quite possibly. I only knew him in his late 60s/early 70s, but he does look familiar.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...