UKC

Best "Climbers Bar" outside UK

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dominic o 21 Nov 2022

We're just sitting in Bar Neva, the "Climbers' Bar" in Val Pennavaire / Oltre Finale, enjoying a well-earned pint (OK 400ml) and some excellent antipasti, and trying to think of a better "Climbers' Bar" anywhere outside the UK. We're stumped, so reaching out to the UKC Hive Mind...

Of course, that begs the question: "What makes a Climbers' Bar?" No definitive answer, but some of the characteristics of Bar Neva include:

- full of people in belay jackets / bright clothing (from numerous nationalities) drinking beer (or other post-climb rehydration) and reenacting moves from the day's routes.

- scuffed copies of the guidebook(s) with "Not to be taken away" in felt tip on the cover, and marked-up scrawling inside with recent additions, supplemented by photocopies of hand-drawn tops 

Other contenders: Panjika in Leonidio, and Gasthof Eichler in Frankenjura. Looking forward to your suggestions! Cheers, Dom 

dan gibson 21 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

The pub in Natimuk, Arapiles 

Goscanos,  Chulilla

Goma2, Cornudella de Montsant

Holdtickler 21 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Railay and Tonsai would take some beating if they are still anything like they were 12 years ago.

Giles Davis 21 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Another vote for;

Goscanos,  Chulilla

Goma2, Cornudella de Montsant

And also ‘Kalandraka’ at Rodellar.

Post edited at 20:08
 AlanLittle 21 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

> Panjika in Leonidio, and Gasthof Eichler in Frankenjura

agree with those, also Fatolitis on Kalymnos

Andy Cairns 21 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

A definite vote for Bar Quartz in Orpierre.  Close enough to the climbing that you dump your pack under the table, and *that* view!

Cheers, Andy

In reply to dominic o:

I had some good nights (and days) at Josito's in Geyikbayiri - some quality crags almost within the site and nice food and a decent selection of booze.  Not cheap though - when I was there a few years ago it charged in Euro's at prices that were more UK / European than Turkish - and I can't imagine Brexit etc has helped recently. 

Michael Hood 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Why outside UK? Why not include UK, except maybe for the minor fact, are there any?

And I feel that "pub frequented by climbers" is not quite the same thing.

Post edited at 05:30
 racodemisa 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Miguels pizza red river gorge 

snoop6060 22 Nov 2022
In reply to racodemisa:

Certainly the only climbers bar I’ve ever been in where one of the staff jumped on the table and got her tits out in a really quite random thanksgiving celebration. And also involved various people jumping into or through a massive bonfire. 

CantClimbTom 22 Nov 2022
In reply to Michael Hood:

>...Why not include UK, except maybe for the minor fact, are there any?...

The nearest I've seen was the Heights bar in Llanberis as that used to have a little climbing wall off the back of the bar - not sure if it still does as looking at their website there's no pic of it now, but that still isn't exactly a "real" climbers' bar

I can only think of climbers' cafes, cavers' cafes, cyclists' cafes, and so forth

Zgemba 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Dinko Buffet Paklenica

Enty 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

>

> - full of people in belay jackets / bright clothing (from numerous nationalities) drinking beer (or other post-climb rehydration) and reenacting moves from the day's routes.

>

The other big give away is if there's 3 or 4 of these people and they've got one 25cl glass of warm generic lager and they are making it last 3 hours.

E

seankenny 22 Nov 2022
In reply to Holdtickler:

> Railay and Tonsai would take some beating if they are still anything like they were 12 years ago.

Bars full of hairdressers and playing too much* Bob Marley. Litter. Not very good Thai food. Comfortably beaten by the losers cafe in The Apprentice.

* too much = any 

GrahamD 22 Nov 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Plenty around with history and memorabilia like the Pen y Gwryd or Old Dungeon Ghyll.  Sadly the Julie Tullis bar in the SE is no more.

The most overtly "full of climbers" bars I've been to abroad recently have been just about every bar in La Palud sur Verdon. 

Kean 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

My local crag's got a great little climbers' bar: craft beer, greasy burgers, chunky chips...and a bouldering wall in the garden! Bar "H" at Schievenin in NE Italy.

AlanLittle 22 Nov 2022
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Indeed it is. Lovely spot to chill of an evening

graeme jackson 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Give it a few years and we'll be able to add the Clachaig to the list

barry donovan 22 Nov 2022
In reply to graeme jackson:

My fave bar is in the winter in Italy and you hardly ever hear people speaking in English.  

KevinJ 22 Nov 2022
In reply to barry donovan:

Bar Licone in Cogne?

barry donovan 22 Nov 2022
In reply to KevinJ:

Never heard of it Kev 🤔

lex 22 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

The pizza place in Chalten was pretty good and climbery about 15 years ago... 

pavelk 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

U Tošováka, Adršpach, Czechia

Beer for a pound, food for five

Philb1950 23 Nov 2022
In reply to lex:

When I was last in Chalten, there was no Chalten. One hostel with a bar and the park rangers cabin. Camped by the river. Bliss.

john arran 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

There's a good climbers' bar in Coll de Nargó, Catalunya, alongside Patxi Usobiaga's training gym.

ollie1 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Refugio Frey? In the sun, by the lake..

Ramon Marin 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Miguels Pizza is the one with most pull in my view compared to all the ones mentioned above

Carless 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

10 years ago the reply would clearly be Le Chamonix at Freyr but it unfortunately burnt down in 2013

heleno 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Carless:

> 10 years ago the reply would clearly be Le Chamonix at Freyr but it unfortunately burnt down in 2013

Yes, sadly missed 😢

Andy Cairns 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Carless:

Oh, yes, a good pick!  A few good evenings in there - the beer menu was substantially longer than the food menu and the topoguide had a graded list of the beers - the only place I've ever managed to onsight 7c and 8a!!

Cheers (in every sense), Andy 

John Ww 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Gasthof Zur Guten Einkehr in Franken, just up the hill from Rőtelfels (routes of all grades, short walk in, plentiful bolts, long routes). Excellent cheap beer and food, guidebooks, and camping/van parking with toilets and showers in the field behind the pub. Always plenty of climbers, but locals too. Our favourite spot.

Webster 23 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

while its not 'climbers bar' prices and you wont find any well-thumbed guidebooks, Big Mountain Bar in Chamonix is owned by climbers and the beer is brewed by climbers. It is possibly the best craft beer you will find in the alps!

*disclaimer - i used to work in the brewery so this is hardly impartial!

Mike-W-99 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Webster:

Good shout. Is it not owned by an ex Ukcer as well?

White frontier across the border make better beer though.

Post edited at 22:35
 Webster 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Mike-W-99:

It is indeed

OP dominic o 24 Nov 2022
In reply to dominic o:

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations - making me thirsty just reading them. I can see a theme for a future road trip taking shape. Maybe we need some new UKC ticklist functionality  

Cheers (hic!), Dom 

Carless 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Cairns:

Indeed, that page is also the only time I've ever onsighted 8a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...