UKC

Best guidebooks for Northumberland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben Harris 08 Aug 2022

What are the best guidebooks for Northumberland trad and bouldering? Should I get the two separate John Earl books or does Northern Rock have a good enough coverage for someone climbing f6's and up to E2?

Also if anyone is selling these books second hand drop me a PM.

daWalt 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Ben Harris:

Depends on how often you'll use the books or books.

The local book has a the all routes listed, and a lot of small crags probably not worth travelling the length of the country for. 

NR has the main crags, and all but the more obscure (crap) routes on these crags shown. And all of the of the worst stupid sandbag grades changed. It has, in my view, better route descriptions and overall topo info. No boldering tho 

If you want bouldering, get the bouldering book. There's not really another option afaik

Hopefully this is helpfull, can't really decide for you 😉

Will Hunt 08 Aug 2022
In reply to daWalt:

Steady on, Northern Rock does include bouldering coverage. Howlerhirst, Callerhues highballs, Kyloe In, Back Bowden and Bowden all have good bouldering circuits described. Northern Rock would cater to Ben's grade range very well, I think.

daWalt 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

Thanks. I'll look at it again. I eyes must have glazed over those bits. 

In reply to Ben Harris:

Northern Rock, unless you're living there.

Andy Hardy 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Ben Harris:

Fwiw I'd buy the 2 local books - you're going to spend more than they cost on petrol to get there and campsite fees when you do. Plus it's always good to support the local effort.

Allovesclimbin 08 Aug 2022
In reply to Andy Hardy:

I think the Wired guides support and work in collaboration with the local guide book groups . 

In reply to Allovesclimbin:

The Northumberland section of NR was written by the same Northumbrian MC membership as the two definitives. The NMC also gets all of its share of the income (after production costs) from NR sales as Wired can have no income; therefore buying either the two NMC books or NR is still 100% supporting the efforts of local unpaid volunteer guidebook authors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...