UKC

Eurotrip in June

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
LastCaress 02 Feb 2019

I'm preparing a +/- 20 days trip through europe by car. I'm starting in early june, going from Lisbon. I plan to go through Spain, then through Italy towards Sicily, take the boat to Albania and go up the balkan countries. Then at the end, Mont Blanc and return home. I plan to stop along the way and trek up some peaks. Some that I probably will do are Mulhacen, Etna, Vesuvius, Stromboli and Mt Blanc (along with the highest points in Monaco, San Marino and possibly Vatican). I have about 6 days reserved for Mt. Blanc but all the others I'd like to do as a one day trek. I'd like to do some other peaks, and I'd like to get some recommendations amongst these peaks:

Korab (Albania/Macedonia), Triglav (Slovenia), Velika Rudoka (Kosovo), Maglic (Bosnia), Dinara (Croatia), 

I obviously can't do them all in this timeframe, so maybe one or two?

My experience : I have average trekking experience, no technical skill and I'm reasonably fit!

Thank you very much for any help!

McHeath 02 Feb 2019
In reply to LastCaress:

I can't help you with the named potential peaks, but out of curiosity: how are you planning on tackling Mont Blanc?

In reply to McHeath:

> how are you planning on tackling Mont Blanc?

For the OP, that's a question with a subtext that reads 'your ambition is to be commended, but your aspiration may beyond your ability and making such an attempt may result in you putting yourself and others in grave personal danger. Please make a will before you set off and leave me the nice stuff'.

T.

McHeath 02 Feb 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Well, somone had to put the question, and I did try to do it in a polite fashion!

LastCaress 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

For that part I am going with someone with a lot of mountain experience. The rest I am doing alone (maybe a guide for Triglav?)

McHeath 03 Feb 2019
In reply to LastCaress:

Sounds like a good plan - have a fantastic trip! (Triglav's been on my list for ages.)

tjekel 03 Feb 2019
In reply to LastCaress:

20 days or 20 weeks?

LastCaress 03 Feb 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> Sounds like a good plan - have a fantastic trip! (Triglav's been on my list for ages.)

Thanks!

In reply to tjekel:

> 20 days or 20 weeks?

20 days!

tjekel 05 Feb 2019
In reply to LastCaress:

This does not sound sane to me. The travel vs. Ourdoor times, ecological footprint and the possibilities of adventures experienced dont fit for me.

cb294 05 Feb 2019
In reply to LastCaress:

No chance, much too much for one trip. Three weeks would at best be fine for some peaks in southern and central Spain, a bit in the Pyrenees, a few days of acclimatisation in the Alps (reasonably you should have a few nights above 2.5k and a couple of 4k peaks before attempting MB with its almost 5k), and then finally MB on the way home. 

You would still have zero days for waiting out crap weather (in summer, mainly thunderstorms), which is essential for MB and the acclimatisation peaks.

CB

LastCaress 06 Feb 2019
In reply to cb294:

> No chance, much too much for one trip. Three weeks would at best be fine for some peaks in southern and central Spain, a bit in the Pyrenees, a few days of acclimatisation in the Alps (reasonably you should have a few nights above 2.5k and a couple of 4k peaks before attempting MB with its almost 5k), and then finally MB on the way home. 

> You would still have zero days for waiting out crap weather (in summer, mainly thunderstorms), which is essential for MB and the acclimatisation peaks.

> CB

The MB is the part that is more organized, I have 6 days for it. The other peaks are accessible enough (I mean San Marion, Monaco, Stromboli and Vesuvius are very easy).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...