UKC

Hiking in Taiwan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Le Sapeur 16 Sep 2019

I'm in Taiwan on a cycling trip in Dec & Jan and have a spare week. Has anyone here been hiking in Taiwan at that time of year and can give suggestions for a couple of 3-4 day hikes?

Thanks in advance.

Mark123 17 Sep 2019
In reply to Le Sapeur:

I spent an enjoyable 4 days walking up Jade Mountain and then Snow Mountain in late November 2 years ago.  Jade Mountain (aka Yushan) is Taiwan’s tallest mountain at 3,952m and the  most popular hike in Taiwan. Permits are required and  difficult to get hold off so we used a local Taiwan trekking company to secure one. The single day ascent involved  10-12 hours of hiking with a height gain of  1700m.  Snow Mountain (aka Xueshan) at 3886m is the second highest peak in Taiwan and took  us two days.  This was a much quieter peak then Jade, good for wildlife and was a particularly  scenic area. Another major plus point of Snow Mountain was there were  no hassles with permits.  I enjoyed climbing both peaks although Snow Mountain was my favourite. Another option is the Wuling Sixiu which  is a group of 4 mountains on the  northeastern part of the Holy Ridge. Takes 2-3 days.

Le Sapeur 22 Sep 2019
In reply to Mark123:

Thanks, that's helpful. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...