UKC

Is anyone else risking a trip abroad to climb?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coldfell 13 Sep 2020

We are heading out to Sicily on Tuesday, having worked hard throughout the lockdown and since  - is anyone else searching for sun and hot rock? We have had 3 holidays cancelled so far, to Leonidio, Kalymnos and the Dolomites - fingers crossed this one goes ahead! Anyone else out in Sicily ?

Mark Eddy 13 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Yes, from mid-Oct onwards in Spain. Very much feeling the need for some sun again

freeflyer 14 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

No but had three weeks in Switzerland and France, dodging the weather and the virus. And but for the bloody UK government should have been four weeks :/

Anyway it was fantastic to be in the mountains and put a smile back in my heart. Have a great trip.

Each blade of grass in Switzerland is exactly 10cm high. They measure them.

BruceM 17 Sep 2020

Has anybody looked into the implications of FCO advice on insurance for going away to Spain, France?  It wouldn't be good to suddenly have no health/climbing insurance in times like these.  That would be my main concern about taking off.

Mark, I imagine you are driving, so that means passing through two countries, with a much higher risk of FCO changing advice for one of them at any time.

walts4 17 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Yes to traveling abroad but not to that particular part of Italy.

Iamgregp 17 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Meant to be going to Kalymnos in a week or so, keeping our fingers crossed it goes ahead!

marsbar 17 Sep 2020
In reply to BruceM:

I found insurance that covers even if FCO say not to go.  For France it wasn't particularly expensive.  War zones were pricey.   

I can't remember the details sorry.  It came up easily enough on google.  

I may at some point drive to France via the tunnel to see family.  I think the risk isn't any more than here and the tunnel is in your own car anyway.  

Mark Eddy 17 Sep 2020
In reply to BruceM:

Driving yes, but taking the ferry to Santander so will bypass France.

stevieb 17 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

I asked my kids if they wanted to go to Portugal in October, hoping to do a bit of climbing and surfing. 
But they turned me down. Cleary far more sensible and grown up than me. 

Ceiriog Chris 17 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Just back from Kaly, cracking time 

ebdon 17 Sep 2020
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

Was there any evidence of random testing at Kos airport? Due to go in a few weeks fingers crossed!

dominic o 17 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Taking the opportunity to explore the climbing opportunities available in Germany - first in the Frankenjura https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2020/09/12/roter-fels-40m-frankenjura-fun/

... and now in Allgäu https://rockaroundtheworld.co.uk/2020/09/15/into-allgau-weihar/

Who knows what's going to happen with covid over the coming weeks and months, but I suspect that the Germans will be among the more successful in keeping a lid on things. If you return via the tunnel having filled your tank in Achen and driven across France without stopping, and you avoid the need to quarantine on your return. 

tjekel 17 Sep 2020
In reply to ebdon:

Experience mid-august: they tested some planes completely, some partially. 

You need to fill in the online application first and they select based on certein criteria... However, if tested they'd let you go to your place and ask you for your adress and contacts to reach you. Officially, you should not move e, but who is going to keep you from having an erly morning jount to poets or similar as long as they can reach you. 

Donotello 17 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

Going to Sardinia next week. Got our insurance with Snowcard.

AlanLittle 18 Sep 2020
In reply to dominic o:

Not up on current prices, but filling up in Luxemburg used to be way cheaper than in Aachen

Ceiriog Chris 18 Sep 2020
In reply to ebdon:

There was something set up in the airport that could have been a temporary testing station, but they didn't test anyone from our flight, have a good time

Cobra_Head 18 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

We've just knocked our October trip to Spain on the head, 14 days isolating on return was too much for most of our group.

Burly1973 18 Sep 2020
In reply to AlanLittle: I’m in lux and yep diesel is under 95 cents a litre

dominic o 18 Sep 2020
In reply to AlanLittle:

99c / litre for diesel, but that's by the by. If you want to avoid quarantine you can't even have a pee in Luxembourg (or Belgium, France or Holland) let alone fill up  

NigelHurst 20 Sep 2020
In reply to BruceM:

try austrian alpine club, membership includes insurance for a year and was about the same price as a week with insurance companies

Andy Say 20 Sep 2020
In reply to AlanLittle:

Luxembourg fuel? 92c per litre for diesel a couple of weeks back.

Andy Say 20 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

I was travelling up through Lombardy in March when it kicked off. Drove up to Arco. Crossed the Brenner the day after they 'closed' it with no checks. Back through Germany, Luxembourg, France.

In Calais got a leaflet telling me to wash my hands.

France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France in June. No-one checked my paperwork going or returning.

France, Belgium, Luxembourg Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France four weeks ago. No-one checked me on the way out nor on the way back.

In practical terms, apart from carrying masks and hand gel and avoiding crowds (I do anyway) no impact on what I want to do or where I want to go.

Mind you: I drive rather than get locked in a metal tube with 200 other people for three hours 😉

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Sep 2020
In reply to coldfell:

We have just spent three and a half weeks driving and climbing to the Ariege, via the Vosges, Maurienne and Ailefroide. Few climbers and no issues, travelling, climbing, shopping or accommodation - you just need to be sensible,

Chris

wbo2 20 Sep 2020
In reply to NigelHurst:re .Austrian Alpine Club - depending on what deal is struck I'll be curious to see if that continues after Brexit IF reciprocal health care isn't agreed in any deal (and it likely won't). Else Johnny Brito becomes a very expensive liability if he gets a couple of weeks in a european hospital

OP coldfell 29 Sep 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Back now from 2 weeks in Sicily, highly recommend it - the locals were keen to get the tourist trade  going - although it does go dead in the winter. Very few climbers about, national parks closed due to fire risk I think - Valley of the Temples a stunning conclusion to a climbing trip - agriturismo are such good value and characterful. We noticed the crag approaches are getting more overgrown and prickly!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...