UKC

Mull staycation in 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 05 Nov 2020

Hi folks

As 2021 could be as mad as this year, I’m pondering ticking something off my to do list.  To see the sea eagles on Mull.

So, for anyone with local knowledge, I’m after a few things; when’s the best time(s) of year to visit, with sea eagles in mind, a good recommendation for a cottage (1/2 bed) nice and quiet, and as it will be my sole visit - a stand out place to eat.  I’d also love to catch an other sighting too.  

Rick51 05 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

We went in June, 2018. We stayed in a 2 bed cottage on the Killiechronan estate. Our cottage overlooked Loch Na Keal and Ben More. It was very comfortable and very quiet - a complex of about 6 cottages. We saw sea eagles and golden eagles, but not from Killiechronan. We did see an otter from the shore just below the cottage and the visitor's book mentioned an otter passing through the pasture outside the window. There were plenty of places to eat in Tobermory but not much very local.

A difficult trip at the moment, but if it's sea eagles on your bucket list then the Lofoten Islands are a good bet. We went Feb last year and saw quite a few in different places as well as golden eagles.

ScraggyGoat 05 Nov 2020

Some of the Eagles are tracked. If you are having trouble spotting them, look for where the professional bird watching parties are stopping. I've seen both every time I've been to Mull

The eagles are present all year, though can be at low levels in October feasting on Grey Seal pup after birth, or deer carcases. Of course the weather is usually poor in October

Otters are harder to spot, being camouflaged against the seaweed, and 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/conservation/satellite-tracking-birds/trac...

toad 05 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

A pedant writes....

If you don't live on Mull, it's not a staycation, it's a holiday.

spenser 05 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I'm not sure about the wildlife aspects, however Tobermory was very nice when I visited about 6 weeks ago and the whisky tasting I did was very enjoyable.

Mishnish Hotel did excellent seafood which I can strongly recommend.

There's a nice ice cream place on the harbour front as well.

jaipur 05 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12: odd, as a staycation as originally described was a vacation spent at one’s home. When did it change?

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 05 Nov 2020
In reply to jaipur and toad:

You miserable sods...!

Staycation is commonly taken to mean holidaying in the UK rather than heading abroad.  That's certainly what the Govt means by it.

I think its great that someone wants to head to Mull for their hols to watch Sea Eagles and Otters, and I thought you would too, toad?

Thank goodness he got some sensible replies before the UKC hyper-critics hijacked his completely innocent thread...

Neil

Matt Podd 05 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Mull is a great island. Carsaig Arches are a great walk - need to be bold to scramble and see the furthest one, but it's the best. Trip to Fingals cave is also a must do if on Mull. For Ben More don't go up the tourist track - its a flog. Take in the subsiduary peak and then a great ridge to the top.

The Pylon King 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Neil Foster:

'Staycation' is just a BS American rebranding of the terms 'Day out' and 'Holiday'.

A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation.[1] Common activities of a staycation include use of a backyard pool, visits to local parks and museums, and attendance at local festivals and amusement parks. Some staycationers also like to follow a set of rules, such as setting a start and end date, planning ahead, and avoiding routine, with the goal of creating the feel of a traditional vacation.[2]

Staycations achieved popularity in the U.S. during the financial crisis of 2007–2010. Staycations also became a popular phenomenon in the UK in 2009 as a weak pound sterling made overseas holidays significantly more expensive.[5][dubious – discuss] In British English the term has increasingly come to mean taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to travelling abroad (domestic tourism).

You're welcome.

Post edited at 20:19
 Cog 05 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

> As 2021 could be as mad as this year, I’m pondering ticking something off my to do list.  To see the sea eagles on Mull.

Might be worth going on a boat with Mull Charters in the spring.

I've seen sea eagles numerous times, from the house and elsewhere. Always thought about going out with Mull Charters though.

In reply to kipper12:

I can't help (remember) just now with recommendations for places to stay... but the sea eagles aren't hard to spot.. there are lots.. and it would be very strange if you didn't see them regularly when there. I saw loads every day! The sea food restaurant in Tober.. is great. Enjoy 

Tom Valentine 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Matt Podd:

Interesting you mention Carsaig . When I had a three night stay on Mull some years ago , expecting to see sea eagles perched on every tree and lamp post having taken in the promotional wisdom, it was on that very fine walk to the arches that i eventually saw one on my third day.

Great walk, great scenery and with the all pervasive scent of billygoat over quite a lengthy section. Terrible parking, though, as I remember.

Mike-W-99 05 Nov 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Last time we were in Mull one flew over us whilst waiting for the bus (NM 54624 29225). Although no otters despite the signage.

Great way to go up Ben More as well from there.

OP kipper12 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

Thanks for the info so far, appreciated 

Cog 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Mike-W-99:

>  Although no otters despite the signage.

There seem to be one or two people that put up these signs. There are a few places I've seen them crossing the road over the years, but not on the roads where the signs are!

deepsoup 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Neil Foster:

> Staycation is commonly taken to mean holidaying in the UK rather than heading abroad.  That's certainly what the Govt means by it.

Commonly, also wrongly*.  It's a 'staycation' when you stay home, dur.

Probably an easier mistake to make for members of our government though, as they can travel to the other end of the UK to stay in one of their other homes instead.

*I know, I know - "common usage" and "correct usage" are the same thing in English, that's just how our language works.  Hence "literally" now also means "figuratively".

graeme jackson 06 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

For many years before I owned a car I used to cycle up from Northumberland and spend several days camping at Calgary. Used to be free. The last time I was there was just after I got engaged and we drove up. Still camped at Calgary but mostly ate at craignure if we weren't cooking at the tent.  Can't help regarding sea eagles though

TheGeneralist 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Neil Foster:

> Staycation is commonly taken to mean holidaying in the UK rather than heading abroad.  That's certainly what the Govt means by it.

Bollocks.  It means holidaying from home. Who cares what our f*ckwit government think it means.  They're not exactly pinnacles of wisdom are they?

Lankyman 06 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

I've been twice, at Easter both times. Once at Dervaig (nice pub) and once at Tobermory - world-famous cat who hangs around the harbour, usually by the chip wagon. Saw a sea eagle on Speinne Mhor - easy walk, great views. There's so much to see on Mull, lots of visits required to do it justice. Don't ignore the lesser hills - Ben More by the A' Cioch ridge is very good but there are loads of other options. Get a walking guide and you'll have lots of options to cover the weather. I've got a few - Paddy Dillon's is good. There are great coastal walks - not been to Carsaig but that looks good. MacKinnon's Cave is very impressive - take a torch and check the tides!  Enjoyed a great little walk round the coast going north from Calgary Beach in a clockwise direction back to the beach. It's also worth taking the early ferry over to Kilchoan in Ardnamurchan. There are several good hills available from the pier there including Ben Hiant. Iona is well worth a visit. We walked around the top half of the island and up the highest point. Must go back again!

OP kipper12 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

many thanks, sounds great 

colinakmc 06 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Don’t forget a trip to Staffa. I got there aged 9 (a bit after Mendelssohn was there) and the memory has stayed with me all my life.

ScraggyGoat 07 Nov 2020

Don't expected any solitude on boat trips to Staffa and Treshnish, the tripper boats, despite all their claims of providing eco-tourism, are through a lot of the season pack-them-in and pile-them-high honey pot operations.  

Thats not to say the trips aren't good

OwenM 07 Nov 2020
In reply to kipper12:

Park at Tiroran on the north shore of Loch Scridain follow the coast around as far as the Fossil trees(marked on the OS map). This is a very good place to see Eagles. If you go at low tide look over the cliff, the strange ring shaped rocks are where the trees were. A lot more interesting it sounds. Low tide is also a good time to see otters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...