UKC

North Wales Scrambles for toddlers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 katyc 14 Apr 2022

Hi all,

Off to North Wales this weekend with our almost 3 year old.

Looking for ideas of venues that we might be able to take him to to experience ‘scrambling’. Under no illusion that anything with a 3 year old is trial and error and therefore looking for ideas for small ish crags / hills where there is some option of scrambling but also easy to escape.

Husband and I experienced and toddler has been in harness, helmet etc before local to us (Peak, eg Burbage boulders), but I don’t know North Wales well enough to be confident of finding a suitable venue for a little adventure!

alternatively, please also feel free to recommend outdoor-y adventures you have had/ done / know of suitable for a 3 year old. We are camping nr. Bethesda. The main objective of the weekend is to have fun and to try and keep inspiring our little one with a passion for being outside!

thanks

Offwidth 14 Apr 2022
In reply to katyc:

There are loads of small slabby craglets in the Ogwen valley, some close to Little Tryfan. (one is just 100m to the west). The northern end of Little Tryfan provides a mini mountain experience if you go up the central grassy walking descent from the climbs. The scrambly walk up the slate gorge just behind Ogwen Cottage is also fun.

CantClimbTom 14 Apr 2022
In reply to Offwidth:

Above is great advice, but remember the parking round there so not an easy location for a bank holiday weekend

Mike Peacock 14 Apr 2022
In reply to katyc:

The east spur of Clogwyn Mawr above Capel Curig might fit the bill. Very short walk in, easy broken g1 scramble to a lovely summit. It's the broad ridge/buttress running towards the viewer here (link to Streetview):
https://tinyurl.com/ycksyhcw
Plus, there's a cafe in Capel as a post-walk/scramble reward. I say "might fit the bill" because I'm not sure my nearly 3 year old would be keen on walking/scrambling this far, but all toddlers are different.

Lion Rocks near Llanberis is another easy-access beginner's crag. It's used by climbers but it is possible to scramble up to the top using easy runnels.
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/lion_rocks-8790/

OP katyc 01 May 2022
In reply to katyc:

Thanks all for the advice!

Ended up having a lovely morning at Lion Rocks. 3 ‘pitches’, which little one managed wonderfully, aided by chocolate raisins 😂

back this weekend but the weather not quite so friendly! 

lots of good ideas for Future trips though- thanks again!

Post edited at 20:37
 Mark Kemball 01 May 2022
In reply to katyc:

As I nipper my dad took me top roping at  Y Pincin (The Pinnacles) and in turn I took my youngest there when he was about 4 or 5. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...