UKC

Portland Campsite - Tents AND vans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A large camping field has been opened on Portland for tents and vans which will be open during the summer holidays. The field is at Portland Bill and in a good position for the DWS and bouldering crags near Portland Bill and within walking distance to Coastguard, Godnor, Neddyfields and Cheyne Weares crags.

Van owners – please use this site!
The Cheyne Weares car park has been permanently closed due to overuse by overnight van users and the consequent mess they leave. The new site costs £10/night and has toilet facilities. People who park up on other places on Portland will jeopardise access for climbers.

Jim Climber 28 Jul 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Hi Alan, is there any website/contact info for this new campsite?

Cheers

Jim

In reply to Jim Climber:

Turn up and take your pitch and pay in the morning when they come to collect fees. 

jezb1 28 Jul 2020

Great news that!

Emilio Bachini 28 Jul 2020

Great news any idea on prices? 

Donotello 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

it says in the post.

Gwain 29 Jul 2020

I stayed there at the weekend. Friendly owner and the toilets were clean throughout the weekend.

Ramon Marin 29 Jul 2020

This is great, about time this happened

apwebber 29 Jul 2020

Good to see someone has finally done this. It's baffling that it hasn't happened sooner.

Emilio Bachini 29 Jul 2020
In reply to Donotello:

My bad, I'll should have been asleep, let alone asking questions.

Gwain 01 Aug 2020

There is also another site open until the end of August just off Weston Street. His name is Jerry, number 07879894688.  A bit of a flatter field than the other one.  

Donotello 01 Aug 2020

Just thought I would mention that I saw this campsite on Friday, looked barely full. About 10 people spread out and it had a ‘full’ sign up - so I probably wouldn’t get your hopes up on staying there if you head down, and make sure you have alternative arrangements

FactorXXX 02 Aug 2020
In reply to Donotello:

> Just thought I would mention that I saw this campsite on Friday, looked barely full. About 10 people spread out and it had a ‘full’ sign up - so I probably wouldn’t get your hopes up on staying there if you head down, and make sure you have alternative arrangements

Social Distancing being applied perhaps?

Emilio Bachini 02 Aug 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

It may have to do with the the legislation on ratios of toilet facilities to campers for campsites, like you said with everything that's going on. 

Donotello 03 Aug 2020
In reply to FactorXXX:

Yes exactly so for now I would advise assuming it would be full most weekends!

CrystalG 16 Aug 2020
In reply to Gwain:

Thank you for the info! Just rang Jerry and he was very kind and polite. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...