UKC

Sailing and climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 El Greyo 02 Jan 2019

Hello

My wife doesn't climb anymore but does like dinghy sailing. Does anyone know of anywhere which has good climbing and also where my wife can hire a one-person sailing dinghy (Laser Pico or similar)?

I would have thought that there must be places around the Mediterranean but one problem we've had is that the times of year that are best for climbing, i.e. spring and autumn, are out of season for sail hire. We went to San Vito lo Capo in October a few years ago but, despite there being dinghies in the harbour and the weather being very fine, they wouldn't hire them out.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

PeterBlackler 02 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

this might fit the bill...

https://aswc.co.uk/our-centres/lake-garda/

they do kit hire as well

https://aswc.co.uk/activities/kit-hire/

interested to know if you find out more

BR

Peter

OP El Greyo 03 Jan 2019
In reply to PeterBlackler:

Ah, Arco, I hadn't thought of that - good call. I've not been other than one day excaping rain on the Brenta. From what I've heard, both single and multi-pitch sport available which is good for variety, although I've also heard of quite a lot of polish. What times of year are good there?

Thanks very much for the tip, Peter.

Any other ideas out there?

Post edited at 16:14
 james wardle 04 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

A bit closer to home...,  Swanage in Dorset for climbing and, Studland bay water sports.  

http://www.studlandwatersports.co.uk/s.html

wintertree 04 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

Sardinia; Cala Gonone.  You can rent RHIBs, no idea about sailing things.  Get her to drop you at Cala Luna for the day.  

OP El Greyo 05 Jan 2019
In reply to wintertree:

Thanks for the thought. I have been to Cala Gonone several times but, unless things have changed, there haven't been sailing dinghies for hire (yes, plenty of those small RIBs). We've hired sea kayaks there which gave us a great day out.

This is the problem we've found, at first I can think of lots of places where you'd think there could be hire, but it seems remarkably hard to find somewhere that actually does hire small sailing craft. I've just been to the Costa Blanca where I would have thought there would be somewhere, but I couldn't find anything. I may not know where to look.

Thanks everybody for your ideas.

OP El Greyo 05 Jan 2019
In reply to james wardle:

Yes, there are plenty of places around the UK, particularly in the south - Swanage, Portland and Cornwall. We went to the Scillies last September where my wife took out a Laser Pico every day. I had a good week bouldering, kayaking and snorkelling. Good place, may well go back sometime.

marsbar 05 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

I’d expect Malta to be a possibility but I don’t have details.  The hotel on Comino hired dinghies but that was a long time ago.  

Tom Last 05 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

Scillies? I know nothing about sailing but bet your bottom dollar it’s great for little dinghies and that you can hire. Great underdeveloped climbing good weather and a really lovely place. 

OP El Greyo 05 Jan 2019
In reply to Tom Last:

Scilly is great, we had a good week there in September and would like to go back sometime.

Baz P 17 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

I recently went to Paklenika in Croatia. Neilsons have a hotel there with included activities. These are sailing (Lazers, Pico's, Cats), Mountain biking, kayaking etc. you just go and borrow anything.

The climbing is in a gorge about a mile away and is fully bolted. You can take one of the bikes up there.

You can climb by yourself, hire a local guide (cheap) or hire one through Nielsons. There is a really good guide book in English available over here.

A few friends have stayed in local accommodation but then you wouldn't have access to all of the equipment belonging Nielsons.

acrkirby 17 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

You can hire boats here http://www.portopollo.it/en/sailing/ they also offer courses aimed at older experienced sailers, i did one in a larger cat and sailed out into the ocean open, great fun. Not sure about nearby climbing though...

chris_r 17 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

Might be a bit too "organised" for some, but the sailing kit at Neilson is always in good condition and the instructors are very enthusiastic if you want to brush up on technique. There looks to be plenty of climbing a few km away in the national park.

https://www.neilson.co.uk/beach/croatia/alana-beachclub

Chris

OP El Greyo 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Baz P:

Hi Baz

Thanks - that does look like a great suggestion. I'd love to climb in Paklenika. We don't normally stay in hotels but this may be worth the exception.

OP El Greyo 17 Jan 2019
In reply to acrkirby:

Thanks, that too could be an option - I'll have a look to see what climbing there is within reach.

OP El Greyo 17 Jan 2019
In reply to chris_r:

Thanks Chris. Yes, not normally our style but it is in a great location. 

Martin Hore 17 Jan 2019
In reply to El Greyo:

Just perhaps worth pointing out that although Paklenica is, I understand, a good Spring and Autumn venue, I've had two good visits there in summer (late August). The gorge is oriented E-W so there's good climbing in the shade virtually all day. You just change sides at lunchtime. Also although the single pitch stuff is at quite low altitude some of the multi-pitch climbing reaches cooler altitudes. Both times I went my wife enjoyed beach activities at the same time. So it could fit the OP's requirements given the sailing opportunities others have mentioned.

PS when I read the title I thought we were talking about sailing to otherwise inaccessible big wall sea cliff climbing climbing destinations in the fashion of Bill Tilman or Rev. Bob Shepton.......

Martin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...