UKC

Travelling To France with less than 3 months on passport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Iamgregp 31 May 2023

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to get in to France with less than three months left on their passport?

I’m meant to be going on Saturday and have just clocked mine runs out on the 9th of July.

I know all the rules say there must be 3 months remaining blah blah blah, but was wondering if anyone had managed to get in with less remaining?

Have a return flight booked for 1 weeks time.

Warren Earle 31 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Hi,

Also the remaining valid date is based on when you renewed the passport not when it expires, a very good friend of mine was refused travel to France a couple of months ago, because the passport was renewed more than 9 years and 9 months before the travel date. They were devastated because they could not visit their teenage son even though their passport was within 3 months of the expiry date but they had renewed it early last time.

OP Iamgregp 31 May 2023
In reply to Warren Earle:

Yeah it’s all a bit complex isn’t it? Can’t get an appointment at the passport office before we fly so I think I’m just going to have to give it a try and hope for the best.  Luckily it’s just a family trip visiting friends so my other half and daughter can still go and they’ll not be alone, but I’ll be gutted if I get turned away nonetheless. Really, really need a holiday!

john arran 31 May 2023

I believe it's both. There needs to be 3 months left before the expiry date, but also the issue date cannot be more than 10 years ago. This will be revelant if you renewed your passport when there was still three or months outstanding on the previous one.

Edit: That's my understanding. Obviously check on the relevant official websites for a definitive answer.

Post edited at 16:58
 Warren Earle 31 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

My advice is to prioritise time with your family, I once had a skiing holiday fully booked in Switzerland, one week before departure I realised that my sons passport had expired. So we cancelled the fights and changed them to summer holidays they just charged £50 each and i wrote a really nice email to the apartment owner and they understood and cancelled and refunded my accommodation booking. Then we found a cottage in Aviemore and drove to Scotland, we had a brilliant holiday great snow and snowboarding and skiing and  Ironically even today my son just mentioned watching the Winter Olympics while skiing in the Cairngorms. So on reflection i would do everything to have quality time with your family.

OP Iamgregp 31 May 2023

That's a good suggestion but I think the other half would be a bit disappointed if she wasn't able to go because of my stupidity so it's probably best for our relationship if they go and I stay at home! 

It's her friends we're visiting at their house, so there's no accommodation booking to cancel, and the car is hired in her name so financially it's fine.

Daughter won't mind either way, she not even 2 yet so she'll not worry if I'm there or not!

Warren Earle 31 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Yes fair enough your daughter will not remember, go climbing instead! Have great time.

best Warren

OP Iamgregp 31 May 2023

Yeah, think that might have to be the answer!

spidermonkey09 31 May 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely fine. Def worth a go. 

mbh 31 May 2023
In reply to spidermonkey09:

It's what John said, according to this article

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/apr/29/briton-valid-passport-barred-...

It wasn't fine for the people in the article.

OP Iamgregp 31 May 2023
In reply to mbh:

My circumstances are different to the people in the article, hers was issued more than 10 years ago but had 8 months left on it, mine was issued less than 10 years ago, but has around a month left on it.

Regardless, I’d guess there’s a slim chance of me managing to get away, but I still intend to try, got absolutely nothing to lose.

ianstevens 01 Jun 2023

> I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely fine. Def worth a go. 

What? Border rules are not known for their flexibility. You need to have three months of validity* because you are entitled to stay in Schengen for that long - regardless of whether you have a return flight or not (there is of course no guarantee you actually get on this). If the OP has less than three months left on their passport, there is no way they are getting into Schengen.

*Note that Schengen has a maximum timespan of 10 years from the issue date, even if your expiry date is greater.

ianstevens 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> My circumstances are different to the people in the article, hers was issued more than 10 years ago but had 8 months left on it, mine was issued less than 10 years ago, but has around a month left on it.

> Regardless, I’d guess there’s a slim chance of me managing to get away, but I still intend to try, got absolutely nothing to lose.

There is zero chance I'm afraid - you don't meet the entry requirements. I'd actually suggest you have a lot to lose, and may end up stuck in a European airport with a very expensive bill for an on-the-day booking for a flight back to the UK.

spidermonkey09 01 Jun 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

My partner didn't meet the entry requirements to travel to the USA last year due to a recent visit to Cuba. It was fine. It was definitely lucky, but border force are not all seeing and all knowing. The chance is considerable better than zero! I'd also suggest the chances of them keeping you in a European airport are very slim, when its easier for them to turn a blind eye and make it the UK passport control problem. 

I went to France last year having had my passport incorrectly stamped. It looked like I had been in the EU for a year and nine days in 2021, rather than the 9 days I had actually been there, due to the section of the stamp that shows the year not being moved forward. I worried about it a lot, got bank statements to prove I had actually been in the UK , etc. It was completely fine, no issue whatsoever. 

OP; let us know how you get on!

Post edited at 10:21
 Jon Read 01 Jun 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

What is most likely is the carrier will refuse you getting on the outward flight in the first place (I think they are responsible for returning you if you fail to gain entry, hence they check your passport). 

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023

Yeah I once travelled to New Zealand and Australia with 6 weeks left on my passport.  In both cases the border control were able to use a bit of discretion and let me in with a bit of advice that I need to get myself a new passport.

I'd say there's a slim chance, but one worth risking.  Will absolutely let you know what happens!

...And be looking for climbing partners next week!

Post edited at 11:23
OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Jon Read:

Yeah agreed, I think Ryanair will probably just turn me around before I even check my bag in.

john arran 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Yeah agreed, I think Ryanair will probably just turn me around before I even check my bag in.

I think that would be a best-case outcome. If they let you board you'll almost certainly be looking at a very expensive return flight upon being denied entry in France.

wbo2 01 Jun 2023
In reply to spidermonkey09: border force may not be all seeing or knowing, but if the scan the passport it will be available digitally , so they won't need to be... 

ianstevens 01 Jun 2023

Yup, most of this is digital. I had a stamp based issue with mine when I applied for my EU residence permit due to some confused about rules transiting to Greenland post Brexit - but it was resolved with a combination of my flight bookings and the passport scan(s) that had been done on my way out. By the stamps it looked like I'd been hiding out in the EU fro 18 months... the stamps aren't everything.

If the OP has anything more than a trip to the airport and back, I would be very surprised. What's the point in having a rule if exceptions are granted on a whim?

neilh 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I hope you shrug your shoulders with the officials or the ryanair  employes then and say " I knew it all along it was a gamble" and be courteous to them.Digital technology suggests  that people have liitle say these days in overriding this sort of stuff.

I would be trying to get a new passport fast. When its renewing one these days its pretty simple.Get yourself booked in to the nearest centre.

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to neilh:

How I go about what happens at the airport is frankly none of your business.

Nor was your advice on this matter nor renewing a passport sought.

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

Name a rule that doesn’t have exceptions….

ianstevens 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Immigration, clearly. 

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

So how on earth did I get in to New Zealand when I only had 6 weeks left on my passport?

They made an exception, clearly.

ianstevens 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

So you pushed your luck and got lucky once. This is not proof of a widespread exception to rules. When was this 'once'? Every time I have been to Australia and NZ I have had my passport scrutinised to the point it was commented on that I only had 6.5 months left (obviously completely within the rules here, albeit close). All since 2012. Post Brexit, the EU have very much tightened up their act with checking passports and the like.

The real question here is: why do you think you should be treated differently to everyone else? If I knew I didn't have a valid travel document I simply wouldn't try to travel, because you know, the rules exist and society functions because people follow them. Maybe I'm annoyed about this because I have been stuck in queues behind people trying to push this, but IMO its no different to turning up without a passport.

Anyway, I hope for you the outcome is a painless one, and all that happens is that you are sent home from the airport, rather than being allowed to fly to France and having to buy a very expensive return flight.

bigbobbyking 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Why do countries insist on validity beyond your booked return date? Never really understood the point of that rule...

LastBoyScout 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

We once managed to get someone into France (and home again) without a passport at all, but only because it was a coach journey and we gave the ferry person a pile of passports with the hope that they weren't going to count them and the people on board. And that was years ago, when we were still in the EU.

I don't much fancy your chances of getting there with your passport now we're out of the EU.

LastBoyScout 01 Jun 2023
In reply to bigbobbyking:

Agreed - bit pointless if your 10 year passport is really only valid for 9.5 years!

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

Three times actually.  I went to both Australia and New Zealand then re-entered Australia.  2013.   Wasn't really "pushing my luck" was just naïve to the fact that you ought to have 3 months remaining on a passport in order to travel.

I didn't say it was widespread, just that this happened. Not sure why you're making that counter argument.

I also don't think I should be treated differently to everybody else - I think there's a remote chance it is in the power of the people on the desk to make an occasional exception to the rule.   If indeed that is the case (which I think it likely isn't), then the likelihood of this exception being applied to me on this occasion is no greater or smaller than anyone else.  

I'm not the person who has enraged you by arguing the toss about this ahead of you in the queue at the airport, please don't take your retrospective anger out on me. 

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yeah we once got a friend to France and back using just his driving license, and that was just four of us in a car.

Zero chance of that post Brexit, I'd have thought....

neilh 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Because I get stuck behind people at airports with these sort of issues who rant and rave at everyone  and it really hacks me off.

Travelling is not enjoyable nor stress free these days.Winging it is now not a good idea., that is the reality.

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to neilh:

Arrive earlier.  

GrahamD 01 Jun 2023
In reply to neilh:

The first question should be "did you vote Brexit ? If so fu*k off, otherwise sympathies "

Tom the tall 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

On holiday at the moment, flew Ryanair. They carefully checked all our passports and kindly warned me that as mine expires in December, I wouldn’t be able to travel to the EU with it after  September and should get it renewed. Therefore, I reckon they will reject your attempt, but good luck!

OP Iamgregp 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Tom the tall:

Yeah I’m 99% certain this is what’s going to happen.  Thanks for wishing me luck, will need a huge chunk of that for this to come off…

ianstevens 01 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Three times actually.  I went to both Australia and New Zealand then re-entered Australia.  2013.   Wasn't really "pushing my luck" was just naïve to the fact that you ought to have 3 months remaining on a passport in order to travel.

Ignorance isn’t an excuse I’m afraid.

> I didn't say it was widespread, just that this happened. Not sure why you're making that counter argument.

> I also don't think I should be treated differently to everybody else - I think there's a remote chance it is in the power of the people on the desk to make an occasional exception to the rule.   If indeed that is the case (which I think it likely isn't), then the likelihood of this exception being applied to me on this occasion is no greater or smaller than anyone else.  

Your first two sentences contradict each other here. There are no exceptions in the rules. You even know them this time, and multiple posters on this very thread have confirmed them to you. Do you think something will mythically appear?

> I'm not the person who has enraged you by arguing the toss about this ahead of you in the queue at the airport, please don't take your retrospective anger out on me. 

No, you aren’t. But you will be that exact same person to someone else. I get it, it’s annoying when something like this happens - passport expiry dates are a weird thing to keep track of, and you have fallen foul of this. You have my sympathy for it - but as you state in the top five comments, basically nobody loses out. Chalk it up as a loss, and remember in 2032 to renew your passport ahead of time.

spidermonkey09 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

I'm going to be even more pleased than the OP if he makes it to France given the squares on this thread...

OP Iamgregp 02 Jun 2023

Ha!  That would be nice wouldn’t it?!

I’ll have to post a picture of myself eating a baguette and reading that days edition on Le Monde to be believed I reckon!

ianstevens 02 Jun 2023

Pointing out what the rules are isn't really "being a square".

neilh 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

We await with baited breath the result. 

OP Iamgregp 02 Jun 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

That's exactly what a square would say

Godwin 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Out of curiosity, as you are apparently based in London, was a personal appointment application not an option, because iirc there is an office there . Friends of mine have got passports super quick from Liverpool by personal appointment.

OP Iamgregp 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Yes absolutely, there's an office in Victoria - this was the first thing I checked but the earliest possible appointment was something like next Tuesday in Belfast or Wednesday in Peterborough…

Could have done that and rearranged the flight, but it’s wasn’t really worth it all seeing as I was meant to be flying back on the Saturday…

mountainbagger 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> I’ll have to post a picture of myself eating a baguette and reading that days edition on Le Monde to be believed I reckon!

Good luck. A baguette will be sufficient thank you. I can tell just by looking at one whether it is French or from an English BP garage. I'm in France currently btw, and have just eaten some very delicious crusty baguette.

By the way, not that it matters in your case (though I'm not entirely sure as my brain isn't working due to a wine, cheese and salami overdose) but the 10 years thing and the 3 months thing are two separate rules. So, as long you are traveling within the 10 years since issue and also have 3 months validity you *might* be ok. We never really got to the bottom of it but my wife successfully travelled to and from France at 9 years 11 months, but with about 4 months left to the actual expiry date.

Edit: hopefully that makes sense! This is not advice

Edit 2: hopefully this doesn't mean I'm a square???

Post edited at 13:37
OP Iamgregp 02 Jun 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

Yeah it doesn't matter where you buy it or how much you're willing to pay, a baguette in England just isn't the same as a French one!

The whole 10 years / 3 months things is all a bit confusing isn't it?  Essentially the rule should just be "your passport must be valid and have been issued no more than 9 years and 9 months ago"...

Absolutely that makes sense and you're not a square

Godwin 02 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Oh dear , TBH from what I hear, if you applied online it might have been almost as fast.

Seems very poor really, I am not be littling your issue, but someone may have an emergency and need a passport, and one would have there would be a, if not same-day, a next day service, at a cost 🤷

neilh 03 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Come on. Give us all a clue as to what happened !

OP Iamgregp 03 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Apologies, been a bit tied up as…. I MADE IT TO FRANCE!!!!

Literally not a spot of bother at all, the expiry date on my passport was either missed or disregarded all three times it was checked…

Lass on the desk at Stanstead was more concerned with getting the bags on the conveyor belt and getting us through as quick as possible, so barely glanced at our passports (it was total chaos, massive queues etc).

Person on the gate had a cursory glance… Got on the flight thinking I’m going to get turned round at passport control and the guy just put it on the scanner thing and waved me through as normal.

Frankly, I’m flabbergasted. Was so sure that I wouldn’t get through I almost sacked off trying.

More than delighted to be here with my family, absolutely made up!

john arran 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Gobsmacked, but impressed!

Toby_W 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp: Two friends were turned away at the ferry port on Friday as while their passports had 4 months left but they were over ten years.  It’s a tiny window but rather a show stopper for them.  As someone said above the dates are important.

good luck.

Toby

neilh 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

What can one say.   

spidermonkey09 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

Absolutely delighted by this news!

neilh 04 Jun 2023

For 5 years I travelled on a chip damaged passport.USA, Japan , Russia , China and Europe.  Then one day it caught up with me on a trip to Mexico m. Lesson.  Be a square. A valid and correct passport is the most important document to have. Best not to mess around. 

ianstevens 04 Jun 2023
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Good luck. A baguette will be sufficient thank you. I can tell just by looking at one whether it is French or from an English BP garage. I'm in France currently btw, and have just eaten some very delicious crusty baguette.

> By the way, not that it matters in your case (though I'm not entirely sure as my brain isn't working due to a wine, cheese and salami overdose) but the 10 years thing and the 3 months thing are two separate rules. So, as long you are traveling within the 10 years since issue and also have 3 months validity you *might* be ok. We never really got to the bottom of it but my wife successfully travelled to and from France at 9 years 11 months, but with about 4 months left to the actual expiry date.

They're the same thing - essentially you need to be 9 years and 6 months maximum fro date of issue.

> Edit: hopefully that makes sense! This is not advice

> Edit 2: hopefully this doesn't mean I'm a square???

ianstevens 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

> Apologies, been a bit tied up as…. I MADE IT TO FRANCE!!!!

> Literally not a spot of bother at all, the expiry date on my passport was either missed or disregarded all three times it was checked…

> Lass on the desk at Stanstead was more concerned with getting the bags on the conveyor belt and getting us through as quick as possible, so barely glanced at our passports (it was total chaos, massive queues etc).

> Person on the gate had a cursory glance… Got on the flight thinking I’m going to get turned round at passport control and the guy just put it on the scanner thing and waved me through as normal.

> Frankly, I’m flabbergasted. Was so sure that I wouldn’t get through I almost sacked off trying.

> More than delighted to be here with my family, absolutely made up!

Me too. Happy for you though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...