UKC

Climbing mt blanc gouter route what time of year

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Edbenn 24 Dec 2023

I am considering climbing mt blanc by the gouter route this summer.  I would ideally like to climb it in July / August.”, to coincide with summer holidays (uk). I have read that these days early or late in the season is best .

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

thanks.

CantClimbTom 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Edbenn:

Earlier is far better. Wind that back a month or two. That may not sit well with UK summer holidays, sorry.

Weather is unpredictable and you get what you get, but end July/August used to be great... years ago, but now very late season, to the point that Gouter hut and route has recently been closed in Aug for safety (Google it, Mayor of St Gervais closing routes, example from Aug 2022 https://explorersweb.com/pseudo-alpinists-prompt-closure-of-mont-blanc-refu...).

Global warming, glaciers and ice receding, etc, etc - you get the picture.

Post edited at 15:15
 CameronDuff14 24 Dec 2023
In reply to Edbenn:

Could be fine, could be impossible. Really just depends on how the season develops. The main risk is that it's too warm mid summer and this destabilises the mountain.

Make sure you really know what you're getting into. The gouter route can be dangerous, especially due to rockfall and there are multiple fatalities a year. Seriously consider going with a guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...