UKC

Dru-Droites-Jorasses link up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Two top French alpinists have just linked up three of the hardest technical North face climbs in the Mont Blanc Massif in three days. Whilst racing up classic routes in fast times usually doesn't impress me, this is something on another level- totally amazing to cover such difficult ground so fast. 

https://explorersweb.com/vedrines-and-billons-dru-droites-jorasses-trilogy/

Post edited at 06:57
 Mick Ward 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris:

Agree. Love the idea of speed but find the notion of fastest times somewhat distasteful (and artificial) in climbing. 

However, as you rightly say, to go so fast on such difficult terrain is mind boggling. 

Mick 

alexm198 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Will_Thomas_Harris:

Interesting that this article claims they made the FFA of the Voie des Guides on the Dru? Didn’t Tom Livingstone and Tom Seccombe do that last year? 

Robert Durran 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Mick Ward:

> However, as you rightly say, to go so fast on such difficult terrain is mind boggling. 

It is mind boggling, but my reaction on hearing of this sort of thing is to wonder just how hard a route they could climb if they got stuck in to one for a week or so (maybe they have already done so).

RBK 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> It is mind boggling, but my reaction on hearing of this sort of thing is to wonder just how hard a route they could climb if they got stuck in to one for a week or so (maybe they have already done so).

They very definitely have already done so, making light work of Changabang being one of numerous examples of the GMHM trips beyond the Alps:

youtube.com/watch?v=fDhdC_6z91I&

Ian Parsons 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

> ....how hard a route they could climb if they got stuck in to one for a week or so (maybe they have already done so).

Billon was one of the GMHM team who did that route on Les Drus that was live-streamed three years ago. It did, in fact, take several days!

https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/alpinism/watch-gmhm-first-ascent-bas...

finc00 01 Feb 2024
In reply to alexm198:

Kind of, Tom S led a pitch and had to do a bit of aid, Tom L then seconded clean and free. Think the rest of it went free though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...