UKC

Insuring 2-3 day mountaineering trips to 6000M+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samradcliff29 07 Feb 2024

I'm planning a trip to Bolivia later this year and planning to attempt Huayna Potosi which is a 6088m peak which involves using crampons etc. but I am finding it difficult to find appropriate insurance for this climb that isn't extortionately priced. Does anyone have any recommendations or is it worth taking the risk of not having insurance? 

hokkyokusei 07 Feb 2024
In reply to samradcliff29:

It might help if you mentioned which insurers you had already sought quotes from and what you considered to be 'extortionately priced'.

However, in the past, I've used Austrian Alpine Clubs in the Alps (in conjunction with the then EHIC card) and Dogtag in Himalayas, Cordillera Blanca (Peru) and the Altar (Mongolia), though only over 6000m in Nepal and Peru.

Can't advise you on going uninsured, other than that I wouldn't do it myself.

In my experience you normally have to insure the whole trip 

afshin 13 Feb 2024

Try Austrian Alpine Club, £60 to join the UK branch, standard cover is upto 6000m, but reckon given their clientele , their insurers can quote you for 6000m+.

Btw which month is your Bolivia trip? 

earlsdonwhu 14 Feb 2024
In reply to afshin:

Just don't have an accident in the top 88 metres! ??

morpcat 15 Feb 2024
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

It might be easier to chisel 88m off the top of the mountain than to try convince the insurers to pay up on the basis that the accident wasn't quite at the top

rowanbrandreth 15 Feb 2024
In reply to afshin:

From the AAC insurance terms:

"For ascents of mountains with a summit height above 6,000 m, a separate insurance is offered. Information and documentation, see: www.alpenverein.at/versicherung"

The link doesn't work, but it sounds like they can insure you.

GHawksworth 16 Feb 2024

Hey! So I just left that area only this week. I went with TrueTraveller for the whole trip and they actually added Acotango on their policy once I explained to them that it was a non-technical 6000er and covered the extra activity (extreme pack) for a week. I'm sure if you explain to them that Huayna Potosi is too, they'll likely add it.

Personally, I ummed and arred over doing Huayna Potosi or Acotango without insurance, and have been at over 3500m for at least a month now, but still felt that AMS or worse was still very much a possibility. Everyone on the trip was fine and didn't need to use the insurance, but it would have been very expensive if a rescue had been needed.

Also, we went with Pedro from Bolivian Mountaineering and I highly recommend him.

We went to Acotango as it is quieter mountain and Basecamp is a very rural little village in Sajarma national park, but Huayna Potosi looks mega! I hope you get to it and enjoy yourself! Oh and if you cycle the death road, Gravity Bolivia is the only company that takes you to the animal sanctuary at the end of the road! Very cool place.

Kayvon 24 Feb 2024

I have been doing some research recently and after reading the policies It seems the BMC is the best out there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...