UKC

October Alpine Trad Recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 joe.91 23 Aug 2018

Currently plotting a week trip in October, like to do some long granite multipitch trad but unsure where to go. Normal ideas of the alps/Norway/etc. but I thought it maybe a little cold for October so wondered if anybody had any other ideas where. Also not too far as its only for a week.

Post edited at 12:09
 Mr. Lee 23 Aug 2018
In reply to joe.91:

Probably too cold for Norway. I'm usually doing doing low level, single pitch, south facing stuff by then. It can be really good conditions for this if you like colder temperatures and good friction. November is usually too dark, wet and cold to get any rock climbing done, and sometimes that sort of weather can arrive a few weeks early.

OP joe.91 23 Aug 2018
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Hence I'm asking for recommendations of elsewhere! Does anybody know what the Pyrenees are like in October? 

Post edited at 14:38
 Mr. Lee 23 Aug 2018
In reply to joe.91:

Well you did say 'thought it maybe', which implied uncertainty, so I was just confirming what you suspected. PS you're welcome! 

Pero 23 Aug 2018
In reply to joe.91:

For big trad in October, there's always the Costa Blanca!

It's limestone, of course, not granite.

Post edited at 15:59
 nawface 23 Aug 2018
In reply to joe.91:

Morocco?

McHeath 23 Aug 2018
In reply to joe.91:

You could get lucky with perfect Oktober weather in the Val di Mello (fantastic granite), but no guarantee!

martin09 23 Aug 2018
In reply to joe.91:

pyrenees is often very good in October - often stable and dry but you would need to look at the forecast and decide at the last (ish) minute - especially as ' normal ' seasons seem out of kilter

You would also need to check French refuges often closed (but not all). Spanish side could be more reliable and I believe refuges are open longer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...