UKC

Roadmap to Chamonix Alpine climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTclimbing 25 Feb 2021

What’s the roadmap to Chamonix going to involve?

Doug 25 Feb 2021
In reply to PaulTclimbing:

I used an earlier edition of https://www.maptogo.fr/fr/france/4134-carte-routiere-michelin-france-2021-i... for my first visits to Chamonix.

Garethza 25 Feb 2021

A few pee breaks i'd imagine? I wonder if anyone has done the route without stopping - now there's a challenge! 

Rick Graham 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Doug:

The first time I was driven to cham in 73, the climbing club concensus was to pull a string from Calais to cham then visit every village and town on route. Pre Autoroute's , it was about 520 miles.

After a couple of years doing this , we all realised that a line a bit further north was 20 miles further but a lot quicker . In 1988 ,we discovered the autoroute system then in 2000 , easyjet.

I suppose the train is the most green route nowadays . That used to take longer than driving.

Doug 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:

I remember getting lost hitching through Belgium once, not sure why but I took the ferry to Dunkerque & the road signs gave the Flemish names for towns & my trusty Michelin map ogave the French names. Not helped by speaking no Flemish/Dutch & at the time not much French. Somewhere in the blurry memory is a reggae concert/festival and making up time by a lift through the night from somewhere like Dijon to Chamonix.

galpinos 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Rick Graham:

Any idea on the most time and cost efficient train route to Cham?

There used to be a coach from Victoria Station in London.  That was the cheapest method. I seem to recall the BMC may have been involved.

But I suspect the OP means a training regime to get you there

Al

Rick Graham 25 Feb 2021
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

> There used to be a coach from Victoria Station in London.  That was the cheapest method. I seem to recall the BMC may have been involved.

> But I suspect the OP means a training regime to get you there

> Al

It could mean that, a training plan.

I read it as when can we get there with covid restrictions easing.

Post edited at 16:05
OP PaulTclimbing 25 Feb 2021

Thanks for the suggestions, but whilst I may be coming from Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen to Chamonix via Mannheim on a rainy Saturday; I’m mostly interested not so much in the route and pathway, but more a debate on the transport, health and socio -political or economic ‘openings up’ or ‘problems’ for me to get there at the very earliest opportunity with the current changes in status. Is it a case of carry in regardless?   

In reply to Garethza:

I’ve done it once in reverse arriving back on a Sunday and by Wednesday finding out that 3 out of 6 us who’d travelled back in the same vehicle all ended up in hospital with acute apendicitus. Two of whom had complicated surgery. I had a bit of a gurgling tummy. By accident the front passenger seat heater had been on. The only causal link we could eventually 

think of. But it could have been the effects of the dog that licked the chocolate muffins at Font. I was just the ‘drive’. What’s the chance of that?  

Post edited at 18:37

Is it a case of carry in regardless?   

No.

More usefully (and perhaps wrongly):
As far as I know, no international travel from UK, not sure until when.
Brexit means Brexit. No travel into France from outside the EU without an imperative reason.
Not sure about Germany and what would be involved in going to from there, but if you're coming from the EU to France, you need a PCR test to travel.
Once in France, no issues really except there's a curfew 6-6. 
Then there's the lifts being currently closed, until who knows when.
Then there's the issue of what you personally feel is acceptable level of risk taking given the pressure on hospitals etc.

In reply to fibonacci moose: I wonder if they are ahead coming out of their respective constraints 

in comparison to the U.K.,  in the sense that EU/France had ‘lower’ ? infection rates than U.K. though they maybe slower in vaccine rollout, plus England may ( almost certainly will)?have to lengthen the slow ‘opening up ‘  as it’s probably too good a scenario to be true given what else has come out during the decision making process!

Post edited at 21:04
 Misha 25 Feb 2021

It’s a good question. My view is that this summer will be all about climbing back home. Perhaps doing all those routes I’ve been wanting to do for ages, especially if the weather is kind. Overseas travel remains uncertain. I’m sure the travel industry will be chewing off the government’s ear but if we get to a low Covid and high vaccination situation here while most other countries are behind us, how sensible would it be to travel, even if it’s allowed?

They are looking at vaccine passports, otherwise it’s down to testing which is a right faff, especially if you want to be a bit flexible with dates. Besides, being 40 I probably won’t get the first jab till late June at the earliest - add 3 weeks for it to be effective. Even then, I won’t be comfortable staying in a hut for example. I have a campervan and happy to bivvy so it’s not a showstopper but it’s a consideration.

Other considerations are that I need to get rock fit again and alpine isn’t conducive to that. Also late season summer conditions tend to be poor so unless I can go early season (late June / early July) it might not be worthwhile for any glacial stuff anyway.

See how it goes - too early to tell. However I’m thinking being able / willing to go this season would be a bonus but isn’t very likely at the moment. 

Misha 26 Feb 2021

Incidentally, the situation is getting worse in France (not surprising given they haven’t had a lockdown this winter) and they’re talking about weekend lockdowns in the worst affected regions. 

To be honest, I think your main problem is travel restrictions. If you can get to France, you'll probably be alright. They are saying they want to avoid any other national lockdown and have previously said they don't want to put restrictions on internal travel.

They could reverse it of course but hopefully once the vaccine (eventually) gets rolled out, things will start getting better.

But all countries are very keen to avoid new strains and imported cases, so while the internal measures will start to get lifted, border and travel restrictions are likely to be maintained or strengthened. Might be ok if you can quarantine and so on but, again, could be different rules for countries outside Schengen.

I mean you can go climbing in France as it is and I don't really see that changing as we get into the spring and summer, although there is the possibility of another local or national confinement. If the curfew remains in place and the lifts/huts closed, it will restrict what you can do though.

The rules here have been pretty straight forward, it's either confinement or more recently a curfew. None of this you can meet outside with less than 6 other people (unless they are children or have a dog) or 8 if you have a bubble and as long as it's a full moon and you're in your own council area, but are exercising and not having a coffee business.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...