UKC

Travelling to Champoluc, Italy

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 jcking231 21 May 2024

I've got an alpine trip planned to Champoluc in July. Everything is booked other than the transport from the airport to Champoluc itself.

It looks like the train line that runs relatively nearby is currently undergoing maintenance (though I'm happy to be corrected on that).

Has anyone been recently and can recommend A) the best airport to fly into and B) the best mode of transport from the airport to Champoluc.

Taxis are currently quoting £200 each way which I'd rather avoid if possible

David Bennett 21 May 2024
In reply to jcking231:

I normally fly to Turin for anything in the Aosta valley.

Depending on your budget trains from Turin to Chatillon Saint-Vincent are cheap and plentiful but then it's likely a not so cheap (but much less than £200) taxi ride from there.

Alternatively there is a bus service with a change over in Verrès. Very cheap but not so frequent and up to a 5 hr transfer time.

MG 21 May 2024
In reply to jcking231:

The trains were indeed not running in April so likely still out. I think more buses to compensate, however. Buses are generally good and may work well, depending on timings.

https://aosta.arriva.it/en/timetables-and-routes/

MG 21 May 2024
In reply to MG:

Note Milan airports have more flights than Turin and good onwards trains.

aostaman 21 May 2024
In reply to jcking231:

In reply to jcking231:

The trains to Aosta Valley stopped December 2023 for (at least) 3 years. 

If you can drive, this has always been the cheapest and easiest way. 

If you can't do this, it's buses. I'd say easier from Turin to Chatillon then Champoluc. There's an app VDA Transport. It's very good.  If you start in Milan you'll have to go to Turin. 

It's time consuming. You have to get from the airport to the train station (there are 2). Then from Turin to Chatillon. All the bus staff speak English and you can buy tickets at the airport. 

Then Chatillon to Champoluc. It's cheap. They run to time, but there's a lot of that. For the return you need to allow plenty for the changeovers. 

OP jcking231 22 May 2024

Thanks all, I'll take a look at those options

streapadair 22 May 2024
In reply to jcking231:

Last time I was round that way was 2020. Flew into Turin and hired a car at the airport.

PeakTrekker 23 May 2024
In reply to jcking231:

Since you've got time for transfers, maybe focus on flight timing into Turin rather than Milan for convenience. Have a great trip!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...