UKC

Best underwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jellington 23 May 2018

Hi everybody, 

I was looking to buy some boxers/underwear for the upcoming summer alpine season. I'm looking for short underwear made out of merino wool (not 'long johns'). I know Rab produces some great ones but are there any other brands/products in the same price range? Up till now I've been using normal underwear and let's just say that it doesn't smell amazing. Just scouting the market before spending 60 euro's on underwear. 

Thanks in advance, 

Jelle 

Billhook 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

You could try washing your underwear more often.  

Denzil 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Have found Paramo briefs very good, though not merino. For merino I have a number of items from EDZ, though not underwear, and they have all done very well.

Fredt 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Marks and Spenser autograph underwear. Can’t beat it.

hokkyokusei 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

I have some icebreaker, smartwool and some Y Athletics. They're all good.

Ffat Boi 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Under armour original ( boxer jock) , they are not merino but they work brilliantly. 

Easy to clean and quick drying.

Lusk 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

https://www.lingeriediva.com/collections/edible-underwear-lingerie

Disposable and double up as emergency rations.

tehmarks 23 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

I have a pair of Paramo boxers, and a few pairs of the Alpkit merino ones (and a pair of their long johns). For alpine stuff the long johns are my go-to, but if you prefer short the boxers are pretty good too. The Paramo ones have stretched and lost their shape a bit (but are still perfectly comfortable and wearable), but the Alpkit ones aren't massively different to when I bought them and have lasted very well.

OP Jellington 24 May 2018
In reply to Lusk:

really cheap aswell!

Dervey 24 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Another vote for under armour. Not merino, but I swear by mine.

GarethSL 24 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Been very impressed with the Mons Royale Hold 'em boxers, tho as they are double in the seat they are perhaps a little warm for summer alpine. The lighter weight, but also very good Satoro boxers from Arc'teryx are also worth a look.

I found that both of these have a slightly longer inseam than most, which I prefer.

Rick Graham 24 May 2018
In reply to Dervey:

For big mountain days, I have some capilene shreddies.  Having been soaked to the skin everywhere numerous times, the last thing I want is some cotton which is cold when wet and takes ages to dry. Any synthetic will be better than cotton.

Cragging days just use cotton ones.

keepguessing 24 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

Somewhat useless but i get my underwear from the states a brand called "32 degrees", I have worn under armour and arc'teryx. Under Armour i just don't find support the goods too well and just smush it up against your body the fabric is okay but nothing special. Arc'teryx have amazing support and are really nice against the skin but they're really expensive and  very delicate (get torn to shreds in the washing machine). 32 degrees provide good support and a really amazingly comfortable fabric, I have worn the same boxer briefs for a week straight and they still felt absolutely fine, if you have any friends in the states or know anybody travelling there get them to either send you some or bring back some in their luggage, they're the best everyday underwear i have worn. If you are getting them literally just for the alps and you don't mind spending the money arc'teryx are great.

mbh 24 May 2018
In reply to Jellington:

In an earlier thread on underwear for running, these were recommended from Decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Running+Briefs

or

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/Buy/Running+Boxers

I have since used the briefs all the time, whether running or not. They are made from synthetic material but don't smell any more than my merino stuff does, so far as I can tell, and are cheap and fine for the purpose. I don't see why they wouldn't work too for summer mountaineering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...