UKC

Caddy Maxi VS Transit connect

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Petar Samkov 24 Jan 2021

Happy Sunday everyone! 
Ok so me and my girlfriend looking at converting a small van mainly for weekends and the odd trip for few days ( not looking to do the “van life “ thing - at least for now ). We are mainly doing climbing so don’t need space for bikes, surf boards, crash pads, fishing roads etc ( how boring I know) . So far the choice seems to be between WV caddy maxi and Ford transit connect  ( don’t trust french cars ). 
Anyone on here has/ had an experience with them 2 options I’d love to here your opinion/ advice. 
Cheers

mark catcher 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Petar Samkov: Own both VW (our 4th California) and Peugeot Partner van. Had four Peugeot vans and they’ve never missed a beat - the VW’s however...🤦🏼‍♂️

In reply to Petar Samkov:

> Happy Sunday everyone! 

> Ok so me and my girlfriend looking at converting a small van mainly for weekends and the odd trip for few days ( not looking to do the “van life “ thing - at least for now ). We are mainly doing climbing so don’t need space for bikes, surf boards, crash pads, fishing roads etc ( how boring I know) . So far the choice seems to be between WV caddy maxi and Ford transit connect  ( don’t trust french cars ). 

> Anyone on here has/ had an experience with them 2 options I’d love to here your opinion/ advice. 

> Cheers

Tested both out two and a bit years ago. Went with Caddy (ex British Gas). It hinged on the driving experience, VW is more refined to my senses at least, it felt more car like. Both would tick your box though.

There are horror stories about the 1.6D injectors on the VW fora, but there are plenty out there that are fine. I went 1.9D anyway. 

carl dawson 24 Jan 2021

Two VW Caddys (2.0 140 bhp) in last decade... 130,000 miles on both. Lots of trips down to Greece. Brilliant. Zero problems. Oil change etc every 10 000. Agree: feels like a car (though the handling is a bit more sedate). Just got another. But avoid the early 1.6s apparently (expensive injector replacements)

In reply to carl dawson:

> Two VW Caddys (2.0 140 bhp) in last decade... 130,000 miles on both. Lots of trips down to Greece. Brilliant. Zero problems. Oil change etc every 10 000. Agree: feels like a car * (though the handling is a bit more sedate). Just got another. But avoid the early 1.6s apparently (expensive injector replacements)

* My ex BG Caddy had a software limiter on it at 70mph. I had this this deleted alongside a remap. It's not neck snapping fast but it definitely gives it more poke.

OP one reason I went for a Caddy van was the option (at the time, Ford stuff might be more available now) to put in rear passenger seats (single row 2+1). These can be lifted out, folded flat or folded forward. I've bolted in a wooden platform, that when coupled with the seats folded flat, makes my bed.

I also got windows put in the side doors. 

Cobra_Head 24 Jan 2021

Fiat Doblo L2, tinted glass in rear passenger doors and split back doors.

Had it for 5 years without issue.

Not had it long but so far very happy with Caddy Maxi. 

If you're worried about injector issue get AA recovery and parts cover. 

Donotello 24 Jan 2021

I have a 2015 caddy maxi. 7 foot of space in the back. Just did a month away with the dog in it and was very comfortable. 

Drove to the south of Spain and back no issued at all. Only problem is with 2 people you lose any sitting and cooking space that you may have with a single bed. 

Luke90 24 Jan 2021

I have a LWB Connect after pondering the same dilemma. I'm really happy with it. Just the right size, though I mostly don't share it with anyone. What swung it to the Connect for me was the extra couple of inches of roof height, for sitting up comfortably on a bed that still had decent storage space underneath. And having space for a giant storage shelf over the front seats. It hasn't been entirely trouble free, but that's largely because I don't treat it very nicely and only spend money once something breaks. I think with any vehicle, luck of the draw is far more significant in the end than the reputation of the brand or model.

flatlandrich 24 Jan 2021

I can testify to the horrific cost of replacing the injectors on the 1.6 caddy as I've just had to have all four of mine replaced. They're nice vans to drive but are a bit slimmer than others in the same class so that might make a difference to you. It's only a few centimetres but for me it was the difference between getting it in the garage or not. 

MischaHY 25 Jan 2021

We recently went through this and ended up buying a Berlingo XL - ours was new for 16k€ and it's brilliant. Even the base model has a lane keeper and impact detection etc and it is very good on fuel - it's also petrol which seemed like a sensible choice (we live in Germany and diesels are getting steadily more penalised here). 

They are actually the same height as a Mercedes Vito and only 16cm short/narrower. You can also get various 'camper boxes' such as Amdro for a really easy camper conversion but you don't have to drive a camper around the whole time. This means you save massively on fuel day to day and also have 5 seats which is even better because you can ride share to the crag. 

Otherwise if you do decide to convert I'd recommend going a bit bigger i.e. transit custom, Peugeot partner etc because the Transit connect we had previously was just that bit too small for long trips tbh. 

Hope this helps! 

DaveHK 25 Jan 2021

We're in the middle of converting a caddy maxi into a micro camper. It was a choice between that or a connect lwb. Sitting in the back of both made the decision really easy, whatever the dimensions say the caddy feels much more spacious.

DaveHK 25 Jan 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

> Otherwise if you do decide to convert I'd recommend going a bit bigger i.e. transit custom, Peugeot partner etc because the Transit connect we had previously was just that bit too small for long trips tbh. 

We've downsized from a full size Transit to the Caddy Maxi. It was a compromise based on the fact that I now need a daily driver whereas I didn't before.

Obviously it's not really practical for a long trip living solely in the van. However, we realised that most of our trips were a night or two, for which the wee van is fine or longer trips where we usually stay in campsites. We bought an inflatable drive away awning to use in campsites which is great. Even more space than we had in the Transit and it keeps your spot in the campsite if you go away for the day. So it depends a bit on how you're going to use it and what you're willing/need to compromise on.

Post edited at 07:50
 ad111 25 Jan 2021

I've got a standard length caddy.

- Great to drive, smooth and quiet (2017 so extra noise insulation & DSG gearbox).

- Managed a month long trip with two of us and the dog with only a couple of airbnb stops in the middle. (I'm 5"9ish)

- Cruises through 15cm of slush.

- Under 5l per km on along trips.

I haven't tried the transit connect, but I did test drive the berlingo and it was crap to drive compared with the caddy.

Cobra_Head 25 Jan 2021

Forgot to add, my Doblo, pretty high speced up was under £16k on the road.

DaveHK 25 Jan 2021
In reply to ad111:

> I did test drive the berlingo and it was crap to drive compared with the caddy.

Mate has a Berlingo for work and says it's a POS. 

LJH 25 Jan 2021

The connects suffers rusty sills, anything pre 10 likely to need sorting soon if not had attention already. So check them if buying. Otherwise pretty good mechanically, don't tend to need to much tlc, mine had oil every 15000 miles and just done 180000 miles.

Not had a caddy but think they tend to be good. Was told by a mechanic some parts are more costly than the connect. Think they have due mass flywheel too? Maybe something to check. This swung it for me.

Everything seems to need starters/ alternators/ wheel bearings etc at some point.. just budget in.

With any 2nd hand van the best advice is to know what it was used for before you get it... Easy life.

I know the 1.6 diesel engine used by Peugeot/citeroen was a nightmare. Injector problems that potentially trash turbos. 8000mile oil changes too I think which is never a good sign.

MischaHY 25 Jan 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

> Mate has a Berlingo for work and says it's a POS. 

Weird, ours drives great and has plenty of guts - came to it from a turbo petrol astra gtc as well so expected it to feel super shit in comparison but it's really not bad. Ours is petrol though so is probably a bit more nippy round town compared to the base diesel - I've heard it's pretty weak and loud. 

In the end it's all what you prefer I suppose! 

DaveHK 25 Jan 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

It's his Forestry Commission works van so expect it will be a basic diesel.

mik82 25 Jan 2021

I've got a mk1 LWB transit connect. It's good having the extra height to sit up in (whether that's important depends on how tall you are). It drives nicely - the engine is the same as was used in the 1.8 diesel Focus mk2. I've had to do the usual scheduled maintenance, including timing belts (there's 2 of them in newer models - important to change the internal "wet" belt as not doing this could result in costly engine repairs). I've had some minor issues such as a blocked fuel tank breather pipe and leaking thermostat housing but not really much considering it's 9 years old and on 120k.

LJH 26 Jan 2021
In reply to MischaHY:

I suspect your new van has the puretech engine? this is quickly becoming identified as the best engine design for along time.

I agree with the move away from diesel, maintenance costs on newer diesels getting high due to emissions control too. If I was buying new I would get something with the puretech engine. Peugeot/Citroen.

MischaHY 26 Jan 2021
In reply to LJH:

Yeah it's the Puretech 1.2 - explains why I've found it so surprisingly good then! 

It's also way better on fuel than I thought it would be, although if we need to hurry down the autobahn and do more than 130km/hr for an extended period you can watch the fuel needle drop 😁 But I suppose that's to be expected - just got used to the Astra which seemed to need 7l/100km whether it was doing 100 or 160 😅 

We've done 20k in ours so far including Sardinia and Spain - can confirm the seats are comfy for long distance too. 

Osiris 30 Jan 2021

Fiat doblo LWB. Looks crap but much cheaper than ford and vw. Mine is great!

DanDDJ 30 Jan 2021

I have owned an ex BG Caddy Maxi with 38k on the clock, since 04/19. Now has 65k.

Drives great, its basically a golf with a big boot; loads of space for myself for a couple weeks trip or so; pretty fuel efficient but nothing special...

Things to be aware of: my EGR valve went after 9 months (just outside warranty you might know) which was £700, apparently a common fault. Yes injectors are pricey to replace at £500 a pop x4 as is every part it being a VW, I've managed to keep mine going by filling it with premium diesel, theres a pin number on all the old factory fitted ones that gives it away as to whether they've been replaced or not, a quick google will tell you what it is. For converting there isn't a straight bit of paneling to be found compared to the transit so prepare to learn brain surgery with a jigsaw to make the any bits of plywood fit. A split charge is a bitch to fit but doable as I found yesterday...

Over the last 12 months I've had 4 different mates in Sheff that have had their Transits nicked, apparently they're quite easy to open. Worth bearing in mind...

In reply to DanDDJ:

Really? I found split charge very easy. What was the problem?

DanDDJ 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Well...it may just be my ability and temperament but I couldn’t find anywhere to get the cable through from the engine bay to the driving area until I saw a YouTube video which showed a small opening down the wing and through a grommet near the door which I found difficult to finagle a path through and it also took me a while to find a decent mounting point for the split charger behind the drivers seat.

Be interested to see some pics of your conversion if you don’t mind sharing please?

In reply to DanDDJ:

I took mine down the wing (using a bamboo cane to pull the cable through to the right place). The grommet was a bit of faff but a pair of artery forceps poked through from inside did the trick. 

There's apparently a better route via a grommet behind the battery area through to the same place below the dash. 

I have (low height) leisure battery beneath the floor panel behind passenger seat with fuse/vsr/switch attached to a vertical wooden board which holds the battery in place. Then all boxed and carpeted (but leaving ventilation for the battery). 

Not really much to show on photos now as all the wiring is hidden!

DanDDJ 07 Feb 2021

Sounds like you’ve done a smart job there Ron.

Had a look for the battery grommet but couldn’t see it clearly without removing the starter battery so I left it down the wing. A bamboo stick is a great idea, would’ve saved a lot of faff. Just finished the split charge after a few short sessions on it between bad weather. I’ve got a similar set up but have a small 55amh battery in a carpeted box in the back next to the drivers side wheel arch. I wondered how I could anchor a larger battery behind the seats without pulling the carpet up, your method may work

Frankie boy 07 Feb 2021

We had a transit connect for many years as a work (builders) van. Was used and abused, poorly maintained and just kept going. When the boss replaced it with a tipper, the local garage bought it off him cheap and are still driving it about.

I wouldn't think twice about buying one, just look out for rust on any older ones.

I've never had a vw and personally never plan to. Too expensive to buy / parts etc and I've had a couple of mates who have had them and changed to different vans in the end, (in both cases, after breakdowns and expensive repairs). But hey, maybe they were just unlucky.

facet 07 Feb 2021

No offence but that only helps get you fixed until the next injector blows! 

I had a very reliable ex BG 1.9tdi Caddy maxi, but for a now unknown reason swapped for a smarter standard caddy 1.6. After a hellish 2 years with this van and constant injector issues I've swapped for a 2lt caddy (as the caddy is great)..

I've never had such a bad time, pre-covid every time I went to visit family in England from Scotland it broke down on the motorway.. The last 6 months I literally couldn't trust it to go anywhere as it was so unreliable! Avoid the 1.6tdi

DaveHK 08 Feb 2021
In reply to facet:

> Avoid the 1.6tdi

I think it was only certain model years that suffered the injector issues. Or at least that's what I found from a bit of googling.

Takein 08 Feb 2021
In reply to facet:

Not sure why you lived with your van this way but my 1.6 hit 195k before an injector blew. I immediately replaced all four at an independent for £1200, and I never had to worry again. If you couldn't trust it to go anywhere why not just get the work sorted straight away?

By the way, a 2.0 will cost you more to run and quite a lot more to purchase than a comparable 1.6. Something to think about. If money was no issue I would get a 2.0, but I would not be put off a 1.6 based on the well known injector issue. It affected 2011 to 2015 1.6 engines and it's easy to tell if they've been replaced. The issue is so well known now that the ones for sale with original injectors tend to be priced accordingly. You could buy a 1.6, immediately replace all the injectors and you would still spend less than buying a 2.0 I reckon

Finally on Transit vs Caddy, there's plenty of the Caddy's on the road with 200k on that look and drive beautifully. Try finding a Connect that looks or drives as well after that kind of milage and you might come to the same conclusion as I did... the Caddy is worth the extra £££ if you plan on keeping it a while

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...