UKC

REVIEW: Climbskin Hand Cream

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 29 Sep 2016
Climbskin absorbs so fast, you can be climbing again in about five minutes, 3 kbThis climber's hand care product is "effective, super practical and quickly absorbed" reckons Ellie Fuller. Downsides? Well, there's the slightly strange smell...

Read more
 Lemony 29 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:
> Climbskin Hand Cream is a new and unique product on the climber’s hand-care market. Instead of a block, Climbskin have formulated a thick cream that you scoop out to rub on sore tips.

Unique because it's a cream? Hmmm...

Dour Yorkshire punter/esoteric gritstone hero (A Nidderdale Boulderer) has been flogging his goo to anyone who stands still for 5 seconds for years now. It's less than half the price too.

http://www.climbersbalm.com/

Andy Johnson 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:

Liking the retro Brylcreem-style packaging.
 Lemony 29 Sep 2016
In reply to andyjohnson0:

No expense spared - graphic design chops like that don't come cheap.
 beefy_legacy 29 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is it new? Fairly sure I bought some about a year ago. Weird smell sounds right, had me dry-heaving on an empty stomach ...
 afx22 29 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

I like it. It does absorb very quickly, so I think that means I use more.

Downside is that it smells like a damp, stale beer towel.
Ysgo 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:
> Unique because it's a cream? Hmmm...

Also:
Climb On make two creams (creme, and creme lite)
Joshua Tree is a cream

I also have an issue with any skincare product where the main ingredient is water. Basically admitted it's watered down compared to everyone else's product.
Post edited at 00:16
In reply to Ysgo:

This is a comment that I've heard you make before and it interests me greatly; in fact, I suspect this question is one we'll explore in greater detail throughout next year's Comparison Review.

Whilst I can see where you're coming from, for an answer I look towards major/global skincare brands like Nivea, Nutrigena, Olay etc..., who clearly know a thing or two about moisturising, and the major ingredient within ALL of them is water. So, are we being fleeced or is there a reason for this?

My take, within the remit of this particular review (and not the comparison review mentioned earlier), is that as Ellie quite rightly points out: it absorbs almost instantaneously. Maybe it is 'watered down', but if it then does what it's supposed to do quicker and you're more likely to use it, then you know what - that's functionality that I wouldn't mind paying for.

With my comparison review hat on, what I would really want to know is whether the use of beeswax or shea butter as a main ingredient makes it a more effective moisturiser. If it does, that's a positive, but the negative absorption rate would have to be taken into consideration as another valid aspect of performance. As would smell...apparently...

Any other factors people who like us to examine?

Lemony 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> As would smell...apparently...

Well the Sypeland goo has previously been described as smelling like "a tart's boudoir." Whether this boosts performance is probably up to the user.
 winhill 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:

> Climbskin Hand Cream is a new and unique product on the climber’s hand-care market. Instead of a block, Climbskin have formulated a thick cream that you scoop out to rub on sore tips.

> Unique because it's a cream? Hmmm...

You've missed read that.

It's says it's unique AND a cream, not that it is unique BECAUSE it's a cream.
 winhill 30 Sep 2016

> Any other factors people who like us to examine?

Find out the purpose of the cream before testing.

I always understood that climbskin was a pre-climbing cream, a bit like barrier cream and their website says use it 1-2 hours before climbing.

It is aimed at reducing sweat.

I guess they may be trying to have two bites at the cherry to claim it is a repair cream as well and a 'nourisher'.

A wax or oil based cream is *obviously* not going to absorb and the layer that doesn't absorb is protective.

To compare the two for similar functionality ( functionality not even mentioned in this poorly written advert!) is just a waste of time.
 northy1983 30 Sep 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

anyone tried fingerbuzz. £3 for a 1oz pot!! thats a good deal
In reply to winhill:

I've always been under the impression it is for both before and after, but as you say - their online literature seems to focus on it's use beforehand. I'll contact the UK distributor to see if he can shed any light of it.

In terms of a repair cream vs. a nourisher, I'd say that the two often come hand in hand (i.e. they repair by nourishing). I'm not 100% convinced by your theory of a protective layer either. I'm sure this lack of absorption adds to the longevity of the moisturising process, but protection a) from what and b) really???

All good discussion for the Comparison Review anyhow, keep the feedback coming.
 goosebump 30 Sep 2016

Hey Rob and everyone,
Has anyone ever tried making their own and/or looked up the anatomy of skin? I only ask cos it helps to understand whats going on, and makes you assess what you are using the stuff for. So yes, most moisturisers contain water. So do we, and in some cases you are trying to replace that. Some moisturisers are entirely oil, and in some cases you are trying to replace that. Not all oils are created equal; so with a bit of research you might plump for one (or a mixture) that is good for healing cuts, antimicrobial and smells good. Or that reduces inflammation and smells good. If it sits like wax once applied, then you might consider blending it with a lighter oil so its easier to spread about. If you prefer yet more absorbtion then maybe adding water - this complicates it since you have now made something akin to salad dressing and itll go off in exactly the same way unless you use it fast, keep it cold or add preservative. You might also need an emulsifier to get the two to mix. This is why creams often have longer ingredients lists than balms. Ill stop wittering now; there are plenty of online resources about the why/how of DIY skincare to while away a Friday afternoon
 Juan S 30 Sep 2016

If you're doing a comparison review, could I suggest you include homeoplastine? It's popular in France and quite a few french climbers I know seem to think it's a great repair cream.

It's not a climbing cream or marketed at climbers. The marketing of 'make up artists' secret weapon' is cringe-worthy, and their homeopathic connotations worrying. I'm trying to decide whether it's very expensive vaseline, or whether there is something to it being great.

Also, in the same way I like IKEA bags includeded in rope-bag reviews, I'd also be in favour of including cheap multipurpose stuff like vaseline.
In reply to goosebump:

Don't stop, that's my kind of wittering! Good food for thought.

I think I'm going to have to start a series of night courses on skin/anatomy if I'm going to be the one to write this review...
In reply to Juan S:

We haven't confirmed anything yet, but will definitely be including something like this within the review.
 Dark Ventures 30 Sep 2016

Rob, you are correct that it is used prior and post climbing, the mixture of the oils include nourishing, healing and moisturising properties.

The reason that we focus on the use beforehand is that this is a unique part of Climbskin and also an over looked part of a climbers preparation prior to climbing as it can have a big impact on your climbing whether it is the length of time you can climb for or how hard you can pull on for that day.

One thing that hasn't been really mentioned yet is the many different skin types there are and that different creams/balms will suit these different skin types so to say that one cream/balm is perfect or the best would be a big mistake, it is very much a personal choice as to what works for your skin type, along with the scents of these products again it's very much a personal thing.

pbla4024 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Juan S:

Homéoplasmine. And the another one popular in France is Cicatryl.
 planetmarshall 03 Oct 2016
In reply to goosebump:

> Has anyone ever tried making their own and/or looked up the anatomy of skin?

The latter, yes. I worked as a software developer for a now defunct Medical Imaging startup involved in skin imaging for diagnostic and cosmetic purposes.

The main issue is that any ingredient actually strong enough to have a measurable, clinical effect, would have to be licensed, and you would need a prescription for it. Most cosmetics companies are very careful about not crossing that line, so it is dubious whether any purely cosmetic products have any benefit at all beyond moisturising.

galpinos 03 Oct 2016

> I've always been under the impression it is for both before and after, but as you say - their online literature seems to focus on it's use beforehand. I'll contact the UK distributor to see if he can shed any light of it.

> In terms of a repair cream vs. a nourisher, I'd say that the two often come hand in hand (i.e. they repair by nourishing). I'm not 100% convinced by your theory of a protective layer either. I'm sure this lack of absorption adds to the longevity of the moisturising process, but protection a) from what and b) really???

> All good discussion for the Comparison Review anyhow, keep the feedback coming.

Rob, I think you need to add an intro as to what the products are trying to do, preferbaly written by siomeone who knows ehat they are talking about, i.e. a dermatologist. Not all moisturisers are the same and work in different ways. The waxy moistusiers are occlusives, they will obviously feel different than a product such as Climbskin as they work totally differently. Are you going to include standard over the counter emollients like E45 that are the "industry standard" and far cheaper (less than a fiver for 350g).

With this "review" (it reads like an advert?), it says it's it's absorbed so quickly because it is an emulsion. As far as my school based knowledge goes, an emulsion is two immiscible liquids mixed together. Is this the right description or have I got it wrong? Isn't it just a load ingredients mixed into shea butter?
In reply to galpinos:

Good feedback, I'll see what we can do.
 Dark Ventures 03 Oct 2016
In reply to galpinos:

> As far as my school based knowledge goes, an emulsion is two immiscible liquids mixed together. Is this the right description or have I got it wrong? Isn't it just a load ingredients mixed into shea butter?

An emulsion is a mixture of two or more liquids that are normally immiscible, in the case of Climbskin it is the mixture of water and different oils along with the shea butter.

Fishmate 03 Oct 2016

I've been using it for a couple of years and I can only say I have minimal skin issues. My skin is fairly good to start with but I haven't needed to file down rough skin for over a year now which I always did before. I use it an hour before climbing and after (immediately and again a couple of hours later). I have used it within 15 mins of climbing and wouldn't recommend that but otherwise it appears to be good at what it claims to do. I don't mind the smell either. Like many climbers, I'm quite frugal but I consider CS to be a useful investment.
 galpinos 03 Oct 2016

Cheers. Next time I comment I might even spell check my post...... It probably read a bit more negatively than intended. As someone with sweaty hands and small children (lots of baby baths with various skin softening products and minimal time to get outside), I'm always keen for the holy grail of skincare. Looking forward to the review.
 galpinos 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Dark Ventures:

Ok, cheers. (Sorry if it sounded a bit negative)
In reply to galpinos:

Don't worry about it, that's the way internet communication rolls - no offence taken.

As suggested above, this thread has been genuinely useful in terms of feedback + what to look for within our forthcoming Comparison Review. If done properly I think it could be a really informative piece. As you suggested, getting a dermatologist to say something from a professional perspective - as opposed to me from a very amateur one (i.e. a climber who uses the stuff, but doesn't actually have a clue what it's doing on a molecular level) would seem like the best way to go.

Next question: anyone out there know any dermatologists???

beverooni 03 Oct 2016

Before and after according to the Spanish climbers I've spoken to, came recommended. I have some, smell is nothing special, quite a weird objection to raise. Maybe they'd prefer Estée Lauder.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...