UKC

Goggles over glasses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jmerrick21 31 Oct 2021

Please could someone recommend a pair of goggles suitable for winter mountaineering which fit comfortably over glasses. I've tried a few but they all seem to make my glasses sit squiffy or bend them over my nose.

Cheers

Post edited at 21:41
 Duncan Beard 31 Oct 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

I have used some No Fear ones that I got cheap at a sports shop, but they have an orange tint. No idea of model.

Two years ago I bought some off ebay made by Outdoor Master. They do a range of lenses so I got the plain, mostly clear ones, that's about all I can remember. Fit is ok over my glasses, I think I've used them once in Feb 2020 & they were fine for the descent from a windy & snowy Stob Coire nan Lochan.

Becky E 01 Nov 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

You want BIG goggles to have room for the specs underneath.  My first pair were bought from Glenmore Lodge when I was on a course:  they had 2 kinds available, include these big ones that fit over glasses.  I think they're Bolle, and have an orange tint which works well.  They weren't expensive.

I'd just go to somewhere like Decathlon and try on the biggest goggles they've got.

Smaller specs help: if you've got big frames they won't fit under any goggles so easily.

Doug 01 Nov 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

I've tried several models over the last 40+ years, not too difficult to get googles that fit over specs (helps if they are relatively small) but still to find a pair that don't fog up much too often. Maybe one of the very expensive models might work but would cost a lot to find out. Luckily I can just about see well enough without my specs when it gets really wild

Fredt 01 Nov 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

Two years ago I was descending the ladders from the Couvercle Refuge, and I stood aside to allow a Patagucci-clad French guide to ascend past me with two clients in tow. 

"Ah", he said, "You are English. yes?"

"Yes", I said, "how do you know?"

"You are wearing ski-goggles", he chuckled, (in a French accent).

That did it. After 40 years of the practice, never again would I wear ski-goggles over my glasses. This vanity subsequently cost me the the thick end of £500 for my Julbo Cat 4 Prescription Varifocal Mountaineering Glasses. Actually, they are very good, and I can also wear them cycling, and everyday hiking when its sunny, and therefore look cool everywhere I go.

Rampart 01 Nov 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

Bolle (I think) used to do some that came with an empty insert into which one could fit one's own prescription, and which then fitted into the goggles - a little neater than putting goggles over regular specs. 
Julbo also make - or at least used to make - some of their goggles in an OTG ('Over the Glasses') version.

But, at the risk of stating the obvious, contact lenses are the way to go, if you can. 

jimtitt 01 Nov 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

Almost every sport goggle manufacturers make OTG models, mainly for the motorcycle market. Scott & 100% (the Accuri models are probably biggest)  I've used personally but there's shedloads. For stumbling around in the mountains you might want to open up the ventilation a bit more though!

Post edited at 15:44
 AlanLittle 01 Nov 2021
In reply to jmerrick21:

Pretty much all ski goggle manufacturers make "OTG" versions.

I've been wearing ones made by Black Crevice for a few years - much cheaper than the fancy brands like Julbo etc but seem to be perfectly adequate. Austrian company, no idea if they sell in the UK

Googles over glasses are fine for not fogging when skiing downhill so there's plenty of air moving through them; no chance of the ventilation working adequately when doing something sweaty like hiking uphill. For that Julbo claim to have an answer to that with "Airflux" goggles where the whole lens can be titled open for going uphill. Haven't tried them yet though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...