UKC

How cold could I push this sleep system?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joseph Howell 27 Jul 2022

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have a Vango Microlite 300 Eco synthetic bag rated comfort 1°, limit -2°; a Sea to Summit mat with R value 4; and a Sea to Summit thermolite bag liner which claims to add approx 5° to a bag's limit. I'm planning on camping in central Turkey Oct/Nov where it's likely to get down below freezing sometimes and possibly around -5°. I'm a pretty warm sleeper but I realise I may be pushing it a bit...I'll be in a Wild Country Helm 1 Compact tent.

Mark Haward 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Joseph Howell:

In my opinion there are too many variables to answer with any confidence. For example further variables include what you have eaten and drunk, how tired you may be, what other clothing you may wear and personal metabolism.

Being in a tent will help, as will your insulating base mat. The data you have provided suggests you should be ok but I really don't know. You may find the following will help:

- Eat a hot and preferably fatty meal before you go to bed

- Do some sit ups when you first get into your sleep system

- Boost your sleep system by putting any spare jacket / clothing over the top of your sleeping bag

- Have a hot drink

- Possibly wear a hat

- Camp somewhere sheltered from the wind but not in a cold air hollow, ideally where you will get the first rays of sunshine in the morning

OP Joseph Howell 27 Jul 2022
In reply to Mark Haward:

That sounds like sound advice, thank you. I'll make sure I have my thermals and I'm leaning toward going for it with my current gear.

bigbobbyking 27 Jul 2022

Something I tried for the first time and made a massive difference was a hot water bottle! Filled my nalgene with water I boiled on my stove and shoved it in my sleeping bag. Made the bag nice and warm to get in a stayed warm most of the night too

LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2022
In reply to bigbobbyking:

> Something I tried for the first time and made a massive difference was a hot water bottle! Filled my nalgene with water I boiled on my stove and shoved it in my sleeping bag. Made the bag nice and warm to get in a stayed warm most of the night too

Yes - something I've never really considered for myself (I sleep warm), but have seen other people on campsites taking hot water bottles to bed. Could have done with them on one occasion in the Witterings where we ended up with a colder snap than expected and woke up to ice on the tent!

When I did the Annapurna circuit, lots of people there were getting hot water from the kitchen at High Camp for this.

Platypus and Source (I think) bladders will take very hot water - others may not!

Babika 27 Jul 2022

Another vote for the hot water Nalgene bottle. 

Not sure how good your mat is but for £5 you can buy an ultra extra cheap foam mat and cut it down to hip to shoulder length if space is an issue.

We did this sleeping on glacial moraine in Iceland in a snowstorm and the extra insulation was helpful. 

bouldery bits 27 Jul 2022

It depends on supporting insulation and also how good you are at moisture management. 

Fact is, if you go to bed wearing sweaty / wet kit then it doesn't matter how warm your sleeping system is. 

Have an awesome trip!

OP Joseph Howell 28 Jul 2022

Loads of good tips there and inexpensive ones too, nice one all. Think I'll get a bottle/bladder that'll be fine for hot and cold and another layer of ground insulation too--was thinking of a reflective ground sheet perhaps. 

Mark Haward 28 Jul 2022

Ooh, as others have said and I forgot - hot water bottle. I use my metal Sigg bottle in a sock, next morning water is usually good to drink. Also forgot, have a pee bottle to hand if you are prone to needing a night time wee - and hone the skills of using it whilst still in your sleeping bag - so you don't lose all your precious heat getting out of your bag / tent.

Root1 28 Jul 2022

Yep hot water nalgene bottle is a revelation in winter. I keep it in my jacket before going to bed, then hot it up again before settling in for the night. it stops you getting chilled, before bed.

nniff 29 Jul 2022

use any spare clothes that you have as a blanket inside your bag - makes the world of difference and far better than wearing them

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...