UKC

Is MPL brand mineral turpentine good to burn?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Masjaf 12 Jan 2020

Hello,

I am looking for some advice regarding the burning of MPL brand mineral turpentine here in Spain. The label says white spirit although it seems to contain smaller chain alkanes.

I am using the Primus Omnifuel II. I have already been burning the fuel without too much soot for some time, but I had to use the warranty service to replace some parts after the stove started malfunctioning even with regular maintenance. I am concerned about health effects and if it perhaps damages the stove parts.

Link: https://www.mpl.es/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/300009-300010-300016-300017-3...

to the data sheet of the product (unfortunately it is in Spanish). It doesn't seem to contain any additives but I am unsure about the small part of aromatics it might contain.

Here is also the product website:

https://www.mpl.es/producto/aguarras-simil-500ml/

Do you have any recommendations on what to burn here in Spain? I am in the Valencia region and have had little luck finding something like kerosene or naphtha. I have read that automotive gasoline isn't ideal for burning, but many people do burn it. I'm not sure if auto gasoline would be better or worse than aguarras simil. What do you think?

Timmd 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Masjaf:

In the absence of a more helpful answer I'd place yourself upwind of your stove wherever possible.  Also have a bump.

Post edited at 14:33
 EdS 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Masjaf:

Try looking for paraffin / lamp oil. That's slightly more refined kerosene

Dave Cundy 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Masjaf:

Or go to your nearest small airport and see if you can get a few litres of AVGAS (also known as JET A1 or AVTUR).  Aeroplane engines run on kerosene, rather than petrol.

Jim Lancs 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

> Or go to your nearest small airport and see if you can get a few litres of AVGAS (also known as JET A1 or AVTUR).  Aeroplane engines run on kerosene, rather than petrol.

Bit confused there! Avgas is high octane petrol and Jet 1 / Avatur is paraffin. 

Pretty important you know which one you're putting in your multifuel stove.

henwardian 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Masjaf:

I used to burn lab grade 60-80 petroleum ether in my multifuel stove, it was the bomb - burned perfectly clean, not a single sight of greasy soot buildup and I think it burned hellofa hot too because things seemed to boil and cook very quickly.

Then I switched to petrol when I couldnt get that stuff any more, it's a lot less good but does function. Depends on how precious you are about your stove - if you are willing to accept a slow buildup of grime and a rather grim startup as it reaches optimal operating temp then you should be fine.

We once got rather caught out and ended up syphoning some diesel out of the car to burn in a multifuel stove. Trust me when I say what while technically possible to produce enough heat to heat things a bit, it is the most godawful idea in the world (better off collecting some sticks for a bonfire).

jimtitt 12 Jan 2020
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> Bit confused there! Avgas is high octane petrol and Jet 1 / Avatur is paraffin. 

> Pretty important you know which one you're putting in your multifuel stove.

And normal Avgas isn't good in petrol burners due to the TEL (lead), normal car petrol or any of the normal substitutes like panel wipe are far better.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...